Used 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Good performance, horrible reliability
By dmblystone14

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a GXP used with less than 30K miles in early 2010. I now own a 2009 G8 GT, and while the performance is comparable the reliability is not. Too many issues, most being transmission related for me to recommend this to another buyer. If you have one of these and you make it to 50k miles without replacing the transmission consider yourself lucky. I began having transmission problems at 35k miles and had the tranny fluid changed but still didn't shift right. within 5k miles had to have a new tranny put in. The car never shifted right again.

Favorite Features

The engine is awesome in these things and if mated with a better tranny would be epic. HUD is a great feature and loved the look of the red brake calipers with the drilled rotors. The leather seats with suede inserts are the best seats I've ever sat in.

Suggested Improvements

The problems with this car? Reliability, reliability, reliability. Here is the list of things I had replaced within 2 years/20,000 miles of ownership (most of which were covered by the powertrain warranty or good-willed to me by the dealer, thank God). Transmission at 40K miles which still never shifted right after and began to leak fluid again at 50K miles. The alternator and battery at 45K miles. The intermediate drive shaft at 46K miles. The starter solenoid at 47K miles. There aren't too many things more nerve-wracking then worrying about your car every day. Although I never had to have the thing towed, was able to at least drive it to the dealership every time for repairs.

Great vehicle
By iamian

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle performs much better then I had anticipated. I had heard so much about the torque steer during acceleration and was very pleased when I actually got behind the wheel and pounded the peddle a few times. There is a fair amount of torque steer but if you have both hands on the wheel its actually very mild. This car also goes very very fast, very very quickly. 0-60 in 5.7 is no lie. The interior is very comfortable. The heated seats and lumbar support make driving long periods almost enjoyable. Gas mileage was a concern for me with the v8 but I see 28-33 mpg pretty consistently when I cruise control around 70-75. The gas mileage you get from this car is based solely on how you drive

Favorite Features

Love the heads up display. I haven't looked at my speedometer since I bought the car honestly. Stealth mode (kills all interior lighting except the HUD) is nice for night time driving as all the red interior lighting can be distracting. The driver information center is pretty handy, and pretty functional. I pretty much always have it on my instant MPG so I can tell how much money i'm burning up in real time. My GXP came with the monsoon sound package and it sounds very good. No need for a system unless you want other people to hear your bass. Comfy seats, lots of space in the back. Fold down seats let you move most of an apartment in one trip. I have fit a full size kayak in it.

Suggested Improvements

Less textured plastic in the interior. One thing that really annoyed me was when I put change/phone/lighter/anything really in the center console. It would rattle against the plastic and it annoyed me to no end. I put pieces of thin rubber in the bottom and the sides. Now it doesn't rattle any more but it would have been nice to already have in there off rip. Aside from that I have no major complaints. This car is fun to drive, it turns heads, and i'm glad I bought it. GM really should have kept Pontiac around.

$$$
By hunter0562

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Fun car but everytime I turn around I'm putting money into it. Can't keep tires on it and I've tried different brands. Brakes - reguar maintenance but much more expensive than a regular car. Transmission 1 went out at 84,000. Transmission 2 went out at 120,000 - and I feel the dealer didn't install Transmission 2 correctly (the shift stick was never right) and the dealer didn't do anything for me. Transmission 3 has been great (now at 156,000). Now just had a wheel crack - GM sells them for $700!I found one for $450. Great fun to drive but be aware of high performance car costs.

Love This Car!
By amiejungej

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After owning two previous Grand Prix's, a 97 then a 2001, (we loved them both) we decided a newer one was in order. I have only had my GXP for a couple of months, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. We took her on a road trip from Nebraska to California, and we were very impressed with the mileage that we got, even over mountains! I really like how everything is within easy reach of the driver, even if she is short. I love this car! Pontiac should have never quit making driving excitement.

Favorite Features

Hud, computer, heated seats, variable cylinders, auto to tap manual shift, just about everything!

Suggested Improvements

Pontiac should make cars! And ya, some wood grain in the interior would have given it more class. (not that I'm complaining!)

Great car all around
By Anthony

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been driving this car for couple years now and I would never trade it in.

Favorite Features

Great mpg and very fast! Comfortable to drive and handles excellent. I have almost 100k on the car and it runs like brand new still. Highly recommend the car. Great for a family or a grandpa. I never thought I would like this car so much!

Suggested Improvements

Kinda bad that you can't rotate the tires because they are different sizes. I really don't have any complaints at all. Well-built car.