Used 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Best car yet!
By CmMichaels

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Last year I got a job that required me to have a reliable car that got decent gas mileage, so I took my old pickup that needed weekly maintenance and traded it. When I was offered a trade for this '07 Grand Prix (this is NOT the GXP V8, it's the base model V6). I took her for a spin. When I popped the hood and saw she had the 3.8 litre engine I fell in love on the spot! I've had 3 Lesabres and that engine is my favorite! I've now had the car just over a year, I am the second owner, and apparently the first owner took good care of her because she has been wonderful. I had to replace the brake pads and one headlight in a year. My only problem with the car is that I'm fat and over 50, so getting out of a low sitting bucket seat is work. But I can't blame the car for that. Another review mentioned the water flushing sound. My car gets that too. Weird. Harmless but weird. I will soon be selling this because I've found a cherry LeSabre, and the bench seat is more my style. It's been a great car and I will be selling it to someone very lucky indeed.

My first nice car!
By Josh A

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

To preface, while trying to write this review the review menu would only allow me to pick the V8 model of grand Prix. This review is for the Base Model 3.8L V6.

I had an old terrible Mzda B2500 a while back that I sold to buy this car. So far my experience with it has been mostly positive.

I'm 6'2 and the car has been able to accommodate my size well. The front and read seat are comfy and have sufficient room in comparison to other cars I've driving.
My seats are felt and the arm rests / doors are leather. So far the interior has held up really well.
Thing is as fast as you could want it to be without a turbo in it. Took it to the track and got it up to around 130 mph easy. Thing didn't even break a sweat. Now don't get me wrong, it's not the fastest car in the world but in comparison to all the shotty 4 cyld cars out there this thing can really boogie.

Pros:
It's comfy, fast as hell, good looking, plenty of trunk space, and has a great sound system on board.

Cons:
21 mpg in town 25 on the hwy
There is an oxygen sensor right in the way of the middle back spark plug. The only way to remove said spark plug is to remove the catalytic converter and then remove the oxygen sensor that's mounter on the exhaust manifold directly inline with the plug.
Transmission oil pan gasket is junk.
Terrible visibility on the inside, windows in the back are just to darn small.
No room in the engine bay to work with at all. I gave myself a second degree burn on the exhaust manifold trying to change the serpentine belt. I would almost consider pulling the whole engine to change the head gaskets, there's just to much engine for that tiny engine bay.
The serpentine belt pops off if you hit a 1 inch deep puddle at 20 mph.
The stock iridium spark plugs are darned expensive turning a $100 tune up into a $180 tune up : /
Rotors will warp if you look at them wrong.

Other than all that the car is great. If I had a choice though I would buy a car with a non-transverse engine with more visibility while driving.

Third times the charm!
By Kylie K

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Third car, probably the best car I've had. First car was a 99' gran prix, 2nd was a 07 Honda Civic (junk), then my 2007 Pontiac gran prix. I rea a lot of harsh reviews before I decided I would get it to find out my self. I actually found my car on Craig's list, risky I know, but 74k mile for $7k is hard to beat for a good looking car. My car does make a water flushing noise under the hood which is pretty annoying but took it to get looked at and said it was alright. Everything in this car is great except the radio which isn't the end of the world. Just could use an update or atleast an aux cord hook up. It drives great, gas mileage is not terrible as my first car was. I would buy this car again if the made another!

Good performance, horrible reliability
By dmblystone14

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a GXP used with less than 30K miles in early 2010. I now own a 2009 G8 GT, and while the performance is comparable the reliability is not. Too many issues, most being transmission related for me to recommend this to another buyer. If you have one of these and you make it to 50k miles without replacing the transmission consider yourself lucky. I began having transmission problems at 35k miles and had the tranny fluid changed but still didn't shift right. within 5k miles had to have a new tranny put in. The car never shifted right again.

The engine is awesome in these things and if mated with a better tranny would be epic. HUD is a great feature and loved the look of the red brake calipers with the drilled rotors. The leather seats with suede inserts are the best seats I've ever sat in.

The problems with this car? Reliability, reliability, reliability. Here is the list of things I had replaced within 2 years/20,000 miles of ownership (most of which were covered by the powertrain warranty or good-willed to me by the dealer, thank God). Transmission at 40K miles which still never shifted right after and began to leak fluid again at 50K miles. The alternator and battery at 45K miles. The intermediate drive shaft at 46K miles. The starter solenoid at 47K miles. There aren't too many things more nerve-wracking then worrying about your car every day. Although I never had to have the thing towed, was able to at least drive it to the dealership every time for repairs.

Great vehicle
By iamian

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle performs much better then I had anticipated. I had heard so much about the torque steer during acceleration and was very pleased when I actually got behind the wheel and pounded the peddle a few times. There is a fair amount of torque steer but if you have both hands on the wheel its actually very mild. This car also goes very very fast, very very quickly. 0-60 in 5.7 is no lie. The interior is very comfortable. The heated seats and lumbar support make driving long periods almost enjoyable. Gas mileage was a concern for me with the v8 but I see 28-33 mpg pretty consistently when I cruise control around 70-75. The gas mileage you get from this car is based solely on how you drive

Love the heads up display. I haven't looked at my speedometer since I bought the car honestly. Stealth mode (kills all interior lighting except the HUD) is nice for night time driving as all the red interior lighting can be distracting. The driver information center is pretty handy, and pretty functional. I pretty much always have it on my instant MPG so I can tell how much money i'm burning up in real time. My GXP came with the monsoon sound package and it sounds very good. No need for a system unless you want other people to hear your bass. Comfy seats, lots of space in the back. Fold down seats let you move most of an apartment in one trip. I have fit a full size kayak in it.

Less textured plastic in the interior. One thing that really annoyed me was when I put change/phone/lighter/anything really in the center console. It would rattle against the plastic and it annoyed me to no end. I put pieces of thin rubber in the bottom and the sides. Now it doesn't rattle any more but it would have been nice to already have in there off rip. Aside from that I have no major complaints. This car is fun to drive, it turns heads, and i'm glad I bought it. GM really should have kept Pontiac around.