2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

A great blown Grand Prix
By Joe

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I've owned this car for 2 years, was a previous owner of an '04 non- supercharged version, and I love it. It's fast and stylish and gets pretty good gas mileage. Although good, I have to clarify the mileage rating as was given in a few of the other ratings. This car has never averaged 30 mpg for me, and I live 7 miles from my job. My trip computer indicates 21 mpg (avg) on good days, 17 if I get on it hard. The trip computer will show avg, instant, and range mpg info. It's good, but not that good. Still, for the size of its motor, it's weight, and the hp rating, it's plenty good for me. It provides a very smooth and stable ride and can hold the road very well for its weight.

Favorite Features

The 260 hp SC'd V6, and exterior styling the most. This car is SEXY, and a beast to drive. They don't make a Honda or Toyota that can keep up. I love the interior styling as well, the big speedo, dash tilted toward the driver, red backlight, and trip computer.

Suggested Improvements

My main suggestion is WEIGHT REDUCTION! This car is over 1000 pounds heavier than any other car in its class. But the weight helps. And it could have 300 hp, vs. 260. And it's a bit tight in the back seat for tall people, and the slant of the rear window puts the sun on your head in back.

Supercharged fun & good mileage
By tonkota

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Very nice car for the money. GM needs to change the softy shifting for a car with this much torque. And I love the torque! The last highway trip I took with 4 adults we got 31mpg. Not bad considering the ups and downs and the weight of the passengers. Room enough for 4 pretty easy. The front seats fit me very well (I'm a wider type of guy). 25k on it now, and no rattles yet.

Favorite Features

The angle of the dash is great, angled toward the driver, the DIC is fun with a useless boost gauge. Quiet ride on the highway, passing power no matter what. I love the supercharger. Torque steer!!

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter, the Grand Prix line is done as of 2008. No supercharged version for 2008. Transmission shifting is too soft. Torque steer!!

2006 Grand Prix w/ Navigation
By VGP

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

First of all, I had this car for a year now and I absolutely LOVE it! However, I will only describe here the things you should watch out for if you plan on buying one: Gas consumption: 11.6L/100km overall -T/C button near cup holder: I keep getting coffee all over it Stock tires (Eagle LS) will wear out like you won't believe. I think they are summer-only performance tires. Expect to change them sooner than you hope Common problem with steering column getting dried up. It starts to click when you turn -Glove box is so small and inaccessible you can barely keep an envelope in there (it was way bigger in my old Sunfire)

Favorite Features

Power, looks, dual exhaust, engine sound, everything that actually matters. It's a 4dr family sports car with wide tires and low center of gravity, a perfect combination for stability and accident avoidance. Gadgets upon gadgets that come standard, some that I'm still learning.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the Traction Control button away from the cup holders. If you spill coffee on it and it becomes gooey then you press the button. Voila! it gets stuck on T/C OFF!... Sssmokin'! Bad stock tires. The thread worn out terribly and the side wall cracked at around 42,000 km.

Great Pontiac
By HH

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great performance, styling, handling. Love the heated seats, dash and gauges, bucket seats. Rides like a much bigger car. What's not to like? Downside is that resale value isn't very good.

Favorite Features

Monsoon radio, radio controls on steering wheel, dual zone A/C & heat, driver info center, supercharger.

Suggested Improvements

A little more head room in the rear.

Toe's Review
By Pontiacseeker

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I love my car. It's gorgeous and drives excellent. I feel like my car is so much bigger than other cars on the road too.

Favorite Features

Remote start, heated seats, info center, 90 degree opening doors, power outlet in armrest, supercharged!

Suggested Improvements

Theres no light in the glove box or the trunk. Which are both stupid.

260 hp supercharged& super fast
By raceman

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is my first Grand prix. I absoulutly love it. Who would have thought a 260 horsepower v6 0-60 in 6.5 the monsoon system will rock your socks off the super charger will snap your neck and the outside apperance will turn heads. All of this and I still get 20.4 mpg in city driving. I can't believe that 2008 is the last year for this power house

Favorite Features

Supercharged v6, remote start, heated leather seats, the monsoon system, steering wheel mounted controls

Suggested Improvements

Could use more head room front and back. Other than that don't change a thing perfect

Good, fun, easy on gas too
By arron t

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I really like driving this car. There is a GM service bulletin for the transmission. I average 30 on freeway trips and have averaged 23 in town. But if I use the boost, oh how it drinks the fuel while I smile from the power. No lag like a turbo either.

Favorite Features

Angled toward driver dash, supercharger, dual zone climate, traction control, quiet highway ride, sportier than Chevy/Buick suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Why? 2008 is the last year for this car.

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
By chevymaster_08

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Recently I have taken ownership of a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. It is, overall, a very excellent car. It drives smooth and has a very powerfully V6 engine, even though it is only 200hp. Like most Pontiac's, the market is saturated with them, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a cool car to look at. The interior might be my favorite though due to the jet-like details.

Favorite Features

Exterior. Interior. Handling

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel drive, 6 speed, 250hp V6

Not so family oriented
By shoeguy72

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My supercharged Grand Prix seemed like the most practical way to go for me, since I needed a "ffamily oriented" vehicle that has more than 2 doors, and I wasnt willing to take the leap off the cliff to the minivan, but now that I've owned it for 5 months, I realize how impractical this is for a family vehicle. Too low to the ground which makes car seats a real pain in the butt, rides hard, Black leather interior always makes the car warm, and it has lost so much of its value already retailed for 23k when I purchased it, and dealerships wont give me more than 13k on trade 5 months later? I'd never buy one of these again.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, spoiler, heated seats, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Navi standard, offer cooled seat option, along with heated and cooled cupholders, make the supercharger seem like it makes a difference. Accelerates very similar to a non supercharged grand prix. get rid of digital boost guage, use a needle instead. Supercharged should mean at least 300hp, not 260.

It's okay, but...
By MiaT

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm getting about 16-17mpg around town, and that is without much traffic and long desert roads. Have had the engine bolts tightened and still get rumbling when in idle. Door windows starting to get scratches. Was told they were off centered and will have to be fixed. Air conditioner starting to break too and have an appointment to get fixed also. Not the best vision (blind spots), but have driven worse. Not a lot of head room in back for tall people, but great for kids. Wish I had better things to say about it. I must have gotten the lemon.

Favorite Features

Maneuvers well. Steering wheel controls, auto remote start. Sexy looks.