Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (66 reviews )

My new GXP
By Richard Leavitt

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I ordered this car fully loaded. I have not been sorry for one minute. Getting in the car and driving it is a thrill and it makes me forget any problems I may have. The performance is more than adequate. Stepping down on the gas a little makes it seem like it is taking off like a jet. It just wants to move. My first long trip rendered just over 26 mpg which is quite acceptable for a higher performance engine. The only problem I have experienced is the navigation system but I understand this is an overall problem and it doesn't really bother me as there will be a fix for it. The best part of this car is my dealer and my saleslady. A big plus!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive Great acceleration Great handling and performance

Suggested Improvements

Improvements in the navigation system are pending but I doesn't really bother me that much. I am not so sure of what may happen if I have a real bad tire as no spare is provided. Tires also may not possibly be rotated.

Objectively speaking
By Mr. Quick

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is hands down the best Bang-for- the-buck car for the guy/gal who wants to have their sports car cake and eat family car cake too. It is fast and agile for a large car. Features like touchscreen navigation, performance brakes and V-8 power are great. Leather and power everything as well as a load of driver aids and multi- information data tools are awesome. Other things like the standard HUD and remote start are features no other car manufacturers can offer for anything near $30,000! There was no compromise when I traded in my 2-door 345 hp turbocharged sports car for this 4- door family car. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, 150+ mph (governor defeated, factory halted at 140) Nuff said, go drive one!

Favorite Features

HUD-Navigation interface, V-8 power and sound, brakes, interior room, climate system and trip comp. Hands- free phone. Outrunning cars I considered buying (Acura, Audi, Nissan) that were several thousands more! Paying $29,000 to drag $35,000+ cars with the same features down the highway! 3600 lb. package.

Suggested Improvements

Get the carbon fiber interior trim offered from GM. With all the high tech gadgetry, GM dropped the ball on the HID headlights and auto dimming mirror. Needs to lose another inch off the ride height. Better quality rear speakers, the stock are weak and inadequate for the amped signal the receive.

Torque steer, If you say so
By Rapid City Ron

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First I feel GM should advertise this car, let its virtues be known to the public. This is no ordinary Grand Prix. I also own a 2000 GTP Daytona 500 Pace Car with an SLP Performance package. I feel it is far more desirable than an Audi or BMW and I have own both in the past. Performance and comfort are outstanding. Black in color is desirable. Mileage if you do 55 mph at speed is closer to 23 to 25 mpg. Love my Pontiacs. So far I have not experience torque steer in either GPs. I know what the experts say but...

Favorite Features

The power and performance. Road holding ability and torque! Stop light racer if so inclined. Interior in black with white stiching is right up there and the seats are a vast improvement.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive I remeber the G8 in the old body style was flirting with All wheel drive. Would satify the front and rear wheel drive demand...hello!?

better than other years
By dlpVI

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

this is the 3rd Grand Prix that I have owned, and I must say that Pontiac got it right this time!! The last Grand Prix that I owned was a 1999 GTP, but this new car rocks. Its fast and rides really nice. The cock-pit is nice and easy on the eyes at night. Everything seems to be in the right place (well other than the dimmer switch). This car was the dealer demo so I got a gr8 deal on it. Was going to buy a Maxima, now that I own this Pontiac, I would not consider owning the nissan now. what more can I say, Ponaic got it RIGHT and now all they have to do is stay there and they will have many happy and loyal customers. I know I will be looking forward to the next new Pontiac to hit the market

Favorite Features

Red on black dash lights at night, leather seats, Remote start, nice ride, and good steering feel. Everyone in the market for a mid-size car need to testdrive a Grand Prix. Once behind the wheel you will love it.

Suggested Improvements

nothing to put here as of now. My car is new and only has 954 miles on it so its working gr8 and I am loving it.

Unbeatable for the money
By Drew

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car has been great. I've had it for a year and put about 24,000 miles on it, without a single problem. V8 is awesome, and gives mid-20's gas mileage (mixed driving, but more highway). Looks great in black. Got it loaded with options for under 30k. Very comfortable car for me (5'6"), and everybody else I've ever had in it. Car rides, brakes, and handles very well. I'd recommend this car to anybody, at least drive it before spending comparable money on an Accord, etc.

Favorite Features

V8! Also love the nav system, which puts instructions on the heads up display so you don't have to look down at it. Heated, very comfortable seats. Vented disk brakes, great suspension, and oh, the V8.

Suggested Improvements

Works ok for the winter, but an AWD option would be nice, which would also improve handling when giving it a lot of gas (300hp in front drive can be a little exciting). Flex fuel would be great in a few years.