Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Love It
By peachez1964

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have had my 2006 for eight years. She has over 240,000 miles and I've only done basic maintenance. A comfortable ride which is important with a two hour commute each day. Great performance and gas mileage! I've started looking for another vehicle and plan to pass this one to the kids. I wish the Grand Prix's were still being produced!

Favorite Features

Style, Performance, Gas Mileage, Reliability, Durability.

2006 Grand Prix GT Supercharged
By dcole08

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had this car for over 2 years now, and I must say I love it. I honestly don't know how I stumbled upon it because I was initially looking for either a Maxima, or a Charger. Somehow I stumbled upon this car and it is awesome. It looks awesome and turns heads all of the time because it is different. Mine (all black with black interior) is rare where I am and I haven't seen one like it around. People love riding in it, and my wife loves to drive it. It's very comfortable to drive, and I have never had any issues with it. The 3800 motor in it is a legend in the car world, and mechanics salivate when they see the 3800 v6 it wrapped with headers and a supercharger.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, automatic start, 3800 v6, body style, interior, comfort, reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

Love Supercharger
By sigmatuan1989

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Left over 2006, bought with vendor pricing in 2007, traded in Bonneville. The price was the deciding factor, it was cheaper than all others. I would have bought another Bonneville but they were discontinued. The car is fast for the price. I would recommend simply on the low price. It has never left me stranded. Compared to Impala from the same factory it is lower to ground, faster, and less back seat room.

Favorite Features

Supercharger power and take off, having driven non-supercharged GM v-6, this engine is great. Fuel economy is 26 mpg combined which considering the power is impressive. I did test drive an Impala v8 but it had too much torque steer and sucked gas.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is cheap and showing wear. The front seat had to be replaced in warranty and I only weigh 175. Rear calipers/e-break stick and need replaced. This car is not big enough for business and will be given to my son when I get a larger car next year. At the time I would have bought a crown vic if the civilian versions weren't so slow or a Charger if the hemi wasn't so high priced at the time.

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
By ferd8791

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Bought this car in May of 2010 with 26,646 miles on it. A major improvement over the 1999 GP I used to drive. Supercharged 3800 Series III V6 strong in all situations, timed 6.4 seconds 0-60, has V8-like punch at highway speeds. Light steering at low speeds, firms up nicely at higher speeds. Fuel economy impressive considering available power. Suspension Euro-style firm, but good bump absorption and no harshness. Interior markedly better than my '99 GP, soft touch materials and extremely comfortable front buckets. Highway ride serene, minimal tire noise and wind rush, engine growls when revved, almost silent at cruise. Fold down rear and front passenger seats convenient.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, fuel economy, ride, interior quality, front seat comfort, cargo versatility, exterior styling, headlights, heated seats, dual automatic climate control, Monsoon audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Power recline on drivers seat, more rear legroom.

Great for a Pontiac
By Ian

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great engine. Cheap interior (and mine's fully loaded), but you know that going in with Pontiac. Electric steering's a bit non-responsive and then over-corrects (this is only an issue on sharp turns; no issues on highways, etc). If you're a confident driver you won't notice the problem, and the GT corners really well (and is generally fun to drive) for a car its size. At night when the road's wet or icy and you're taking a sharp turn the steering makes you feel a bit out of control. That's far from a deal breaker (and my commute is 17 miles on winding country roads in the northeast). Overall love the car and definitely recommend. Bought GM Certified in August - no problems.

Favorite Features

Engine and price. There's really not a more economical way to get 260 HP, CD changer, leather seats, sunroof, remote start, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Correct the electric steering. Get rid of the little spoiler on the back. Also wish the car were a little shorter - it's 10" longer than my old G6, and much of that seems due to the overly-gigantic trunk (I'm glad I don't have to parallel park regularly).