2006 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Extreme oil consumption
By Diane on 08/22/10 16:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was so excited when I purchased this car. It was everything I wanted and still do. However, around 54,000 miles in (I purchased it when it only had 100 miles) I took my car in for a oil change. No problem, then less than a 1000 miles my check oil light came on. I took it back to the shop that changed my oil and was told that there was NO oil in there. I am now at 73,000 and continue to have problems and Pontiac has been "working on it" for this entire time. Going in for service every other month is time consuming. I drive less than 15 miles to work per day and am using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Hoping for a solution because I sure love the care otherwise.

Vroom vroom
By Stacey on 08/18/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought an '06 Grand Prix GXP and this car is not only gorgeous to look at, but it's a blast to drive. I've had quick vehicles in the past, but the acceleration and power or this car is amazing. I bought a red one with 35,000 miles so it's just broken in. I love to small details that make it unique, the red brakes, the mini fog lights, the Monsoon sound system, and the remote start. What a great car!

4th Pontiac Grand Prix
By Dena on 07/22/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Grand Prix that I have had. I love these cars & hate the fact that GMC has stopped making them. I recently rented a 2010 Lacrosse for a road trip, & missed my car a lot. Grand Prix's are reliable from my experience, & will take the best care possible of this one. Drives like a dream, comfortable, enjoy everything about it. I just put new rims on it and have had several compliments already. I am very protective over this car, & know that I will get years of enjoyment with it. Nothing negative to say, I have been Blessed.

Wonderful Pontiac
By Bob on 06/06/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2 1/2 half years experience, 31500 miles. Replaced the battery this week, no other issues. Changed Bridgestones for Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S - 10,000 miles on the Goodyears, just do it. Upgrades - K&N Series 63 intake system, Magnaflow muffers (yeah they sound mean), upgraded floor mats and piano black dash trim kit. Adding LED taillights soon. White exterior/sand ultra lux leather interior. No Nav or optional paint. A+ build quality. Have some fun? Disconnect the battery overnight - drive the GXP hard the next day over several drive cycles. Becomes a REAL hot rod (I promise). Rare model - turns heads. Almost 20 mpg town w/27 highway. Wanna race?

Pontiac Got Outclassed...By itself
By Seth on 04/25/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got a lease and I just recently turned it in and got a new lease on a Pontiac G8. And man, everything the GP does right, the G8 does so much better and all the flaws from the GP vanish. But this is for the GP, though. The Grand Prix is a great car just to push the the limits. But when it comes down to business, it did terribly. I bumped my head in the back, causing the sunroof to get dislodged. I had a headache and a car repair bill. I was so mad. Also annoyances include archaic stereo system that looks like my old 1998 Grand Am. It's ugly inside and out. I was not satisfied at all.

Great Car, the best I've driven yet.
By TjO on 10/21/08 21:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am totally amazed by the review and the specs given on this website being that they are showing the lowest numbers yet by any other website. Seems that "Dan" the editor must have had a rough day or just doesn't like Pontiacs. Anyways, I've had my share of Fords, Dodges, and VW's etc. and to date this is the best car for the money I've driven. No squeaks rattles or odd engine problems, just perfect.

Bad brakes and bad Breaks from Pontiac!
By General Lee GXP on 06/15/08 12:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Please know that I am a Loyal GM owner! Unfortunately, even with the high performance and fun driving factor, I will Never own another Pontiac and I have owned Numerous Pontiacs over the past 40 years. With fewer than 11K-miles, Pontiac had to replace the throttle-body which left me stranded on the freeway for 2 hours. With fewer than 13K-miles, I had to pay out of pocket for front brake pads And Disc Rotors; almost $700! I had to replace those Awful Bridgestone tires on front with Kumhos at the same time as the brake fix! I drove it from coast to coast right after the Disc replacement and it started scoring the front rotors Again! Neither the dealers involved not Pontiac was of any help!

Like my old car better
By moms ride on 05/04/08 13:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the car a few months and I have to say I miss my 1999 Grand Prix GTP. I regret selling it to buy the 2006 Grand Prix GXP I have now. My old car handled much better and had GREAT fuel economy. 25-30 mpg for my daily driving. The GXP is getting tops 18 mpg. This is WAY under what I was told. The full size pickup with the same motor is getting 20 mpg. I also have lots of rattles and squeaks in the interior. It is also dogging and is missing. I am actually thinking about selling it already. I love the overall look of the car. It is a definite head turner. Guess I just got the bottom of the pile on this one.

Lovin My GXP
By Lovin my GXP on 04/23/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car on a whim. Went to test drive a Mustang. Hated It. Drove by this Dealer by accident, and test drove a Trail-Blazer. Then I HEARD this car pulling into the lot. From there I was in Ahhh. But to get behind the wheel of this Powerful V8, what a dream. This is my third Pontiac (others were Grand-Am GT's) and they have done something Right with this GXP. I put 32,000+ miles on it the 1st year I owned it. Its a great highway car. I love to take it out to the deserted stretches of straight rural roads, and let her loose.

My Cherry GXP
By Cherry GXP on 11/09/07 06:59 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My GXP has been perfect, no problems at all. Really is fun to drive and I love the purr of the V-8 motor. I trade cars every 2 to 3 years, but this is a keeper. I even bought an extended warranty for 7years and 84,000 miles. Told my wife to bury me in it. Mileage is not great, but a 400+ mile trip last year netted about 24MPG and not at 55MPH either.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.