Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Extreme oil consumption
By Diane

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was so excited when I purchased this car. It was everything I wanted and still do. However, around 54,000 miles in (I purchased it when it only had 100 miles) I took my car in for a oil change. No problem, then less than a 1000 miles my check oil light came on. I took it back to the shop that changed my oil and was told that there was NO oil in there. I am now at 73,000 and continue to have problems and Pontiac has been "working on it" for this entire time. Going in for service every other month is time consuming. I drive less than 15 miles to work per day and am using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Hoping for a solution because I sure love the care otherwise.

Low profile tires are nice. But remember they are sensitive to wear and tear. I have went through two sets of front tires. They are not cheap, $600 a set is not fun to pay out.

The 3.8 engine is awesome, however, it does not appear that my car had a winner installed. Maybe this is why they choose to stop making this line. Just food for thought. Here I get my dream car and ended up with a nightmare.

Vroom vroom
By Stacey

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought an '06 Grand Prix GXP and this car is not only gorgeous to look at, but it's a blast to drive. I've had quick vehicles in the past, but the acceleration and power or this car is amazing. I bought a red one with 35,000 miles so it's just broken in. I love to small details that make it unique, the red brakes, the mini fog lights, the Monsoon sound system, and the remote start. What a great car!

Power & acceleration; sportiness, moon roof, Monsoon sound system, suede inserts in the seats.

Have to use 91 octane gasoline on the GXP, gets very expensive!

4th Pontiac Grand Prix
By Dena

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Grand Prix that I have had. I love these cars & hate the fact that GMC has stopped making them. I recently rented a 2010 Lacrosse for a road trip, & missed my car a lot. Grand Prix's are reliable from my experience, & will take the best care possible of this one. Drives like a dream, comfortable, enjoy everything about it. I just put new rims on it and have had several compliments already. I am very protective over this car, & know that I will get years of enjoyment with it. Nothing negative to say, I have been Blessed.

The controls in the steering column, the liability that only comes with having a Grand Prix, & the wide wheel traction for better road handling.

Set covering, mine are black and shows dirt very easily. Also would like to have seen a truck opening through the back setting area (had that before, where you pull down the arm rest and there was a little door that lead into the truck).

Wonderful Pontiac
By Bob

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2 1/2 half years experience, 31500 miles. Replaced the battery this week, no other issues. Changed Bridgestones for Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S - 10,000 miles on the Goodyears, just do it. Upgrades - K&N Series 63 intake system, Magnaflow muffers (yeah they sound mean), upgraded floor mats and piano black dash trim kit. Adding LED taillights soon. White exterior/sand ultra lux leather interior. No Nav or optional paint. A+ build quality. Have some fun? Disconnect the battery overnight - drive the GXP hard the next day over several drive cycles. Becomes a REAL hot rod (I promise). Rare model - turns heads. Almost 20 mpg town w/27 highway. Wanna race?

Rarity/great looks - FAST - did I say FAST? Superior fuel economy - use premium only. Heads up display, paddle shifter. Details to a very high standard - red brake calipers with those plated wheels - A+. Flip down the seats? Becomes a pickup truck (not really but you get the picture).

K&N Series 63 intake system. Magnaflow mufflers, dash kit, floor mats/truck mat. LED tail lights. Use Meguiars products only for exterior maintenance. Treat yourself to the mufflers - then use the remote start and listen to your GXP "talk" to you as you walk up. Make your friends jealous.

Pontiac Got Outclassed...By itself
By Seth

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got a lease and I just recently turned it in and got a new lease on a Pontiac G8. And man, everything the GP does right, the G8 does so much better and all the flaws from the GP vanish. But this is for the GP, though. The Grand Prix is a great car just to push the the limits. But when it comes down to business, it did terribly. I bumped my head in the back, causing the sunroof to get dislodged. I had a headache and a car repair bill. I was so mad. Also annoyances include archaic stereo system that looks like my old 1998 Grand Am. It's ugly inside and out. I was not satisfied at all.

Neat information panel, good acceleration, good value, trunk space

Terrible build quality, worst back seats in the world, the front aren't so good either, 1990s stereo, information center is distracting, terrible resale value