2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Nice looks and powerful engine

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

GXP Sedan (5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Nice looks and powerful engine but...
By Josh on

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

Paddle shifting is fun, especially headed out on the interstate and at stop lights. 303hp V8 puts me back in my seat when punching it. The color and stock wheels make it pop. Classic dash, reminisent of the old T/A's.

Of course the interior really lacks. Being the top of the line GP, I would think more would have gone into it. I don't mind the FWD V8, but I am sure most would have like to have seen the power in the rear-end. 225's in back and 255's in front? What's that all about?