Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Nice looks and powerful engine but...
By Josh

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

Paddle shifting is fun, especially headed out on the interstate and at stop lights. 303hp V8 puts me back in my seat when punching it. The color and stock wheels make it pop. Classic dash, reminisent of the old T/A's.

Of course the interior really lacks. Being the top of the line GP, I would think more would have gone into it. I don't mind the FWD V8, but I am sure most would have like to have seen the power in the rear-end. 225's in back and 255's in front? What's that all about?

Love my car
By Samantha

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My GP is my "first" car. I learned to drive in SUVs and trucks, and I usually hate cars b/c they feel so small, but my GP is very roomy, one of the few cars that my dad, who is 6"5', can fit in pretty comfortably. My car handles absolutely great, very sensitive to whatever the driver does. I live in a very hilly and curvy area and the car does the roads great. Although 5 people fit in my car just fine, it isn't really a "family" car.

Very attractive exterior and interior. I love how the dash is designed with the driver in mind, curving around you; and the red lighting is great. Stereo great, AC and heater great. Features (windshield wipers, cruise control, etc.) easy to use. Power and acceleration are awesome. And my trunk is huge.

A little less plastic-y interior would be nice, and maybe a differently designed glove department, but that's it.

Not worth what i payed for it
By sullyhaute

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The interior design is cramped. I am only 6 ft. tall and I feel like i am way too big for this car. It will get up and go, but that is about the only thing good I can say, I have already had to replace turn signal bulbs, the paint is peeling off the front bumper and mirror covers. I had to replace exhaust clamps, I have to take it in for re-aligning. I would expect this from a old beater car. but this car still only has about 62,000 mile to date.

color

seats are to high. Better paint quality

Great car
By Danfm1

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car is amazing - Pontiac has really improved their products and it can easily challenge foreign cars. The turning is tight, the engine provides plenty of power while sipping gas, there are no rattles and the interior quality is great. It's safe, good looking, and a great ride.

Heads-up-Display, Red backlit gauges, power sunroof, powerful yet efficient v6, smooth shifting transmission, fast acceleration, comfortable seats, Computer information system is amazing, Steering wheel controls, controls and buttons pointed in towards driver instead of straight ahead

Front underneath the bumper should be connected differently instead of snapping into place.

CompG Package makes big difference
By Aeroheadcww

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My GP is equipped with the CompG performance package which includes: Head Up Display, Tap Shift, higher gear ratios, stiffer rear sway bar, and red brake calipers, maybe a few other things. The gear ratios dramatically improve acceleration and the sway bar makes this thing handle like a dream. It still maintains a quiet comfortable ride on the highway but is rigid during spirited driving. My biggest complaint about the car is the shifting performance in standard automatic mode, it just doesn't downshift quickly enough and lets the RPM fall well below the power band before it switches to a lower gear. This is alleviated by the Tap Shift system which will let you shift manually.

Lots of power, HUD, Heated seats, steering wheel radio controls, 17" 10 spoke alloy wheels are beautiful and are set off by red calipers. Traction and stability control work great without being intrusive. Handling is superb, tap shift helps accelerate out of curves. Large trunk. 29 mpg hwy 18 city.

Performance: Shifting parameters should be changed to make it downshift sooner. Appearance: Spoiler should be wider, front fascia should extend lower. Comfort: front seats could be a little wider. Misc: Wish it didn't require high octane gas but that's what you get with a supercharged car.