2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
CompG Package makes big difference
By Aeroheadcww on 07/09/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My GP is equipped with the CompG performance package which includes: Head Up Display, Tap Shift, higher gear ratios, stiffer rear sway bar, and red brake calipers, maybe a few other things. The gear ratios dramatically improve acceleration and the sway bar makes this thing handle like a dream. It still maintains a quiet comfortable ride on the highway but is rigid during spirited driving. My biggest complaint about the car is the shifting performance in standard automatic mode, it just doesn't downshift quickly enough and lets the RPM fall well below the power band before it switches to a lower gear. This is alleviated by the Tap Shift system which will let you shift manually.

Loving it
By Ben on 07/06/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven Pontiac grand am before but I finally got my Pontiac grand prix after I lost my previous car. Since I got this car I love it more than any car I ever had. It drives so smooth and less external noise. The I felt in love with it the very moment I saw it. I am hoping to keep it for a very long time.

If I knew then what I know now
By Stuck on 05/09/08 05:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the most expensive car I have purchased and it has been in the shop for 4 major issues 6 times in just over 2 years. At 2 weeks check engine light-replaces senor. Then sun roof leaked twice and flooded car, burning oil-replace exhaust gaskets, steering wheel noise - had to lube steering shaft, now lights in dash burned out and constant vibration in steering wheel. Just afraid what is next? Stuck payment wise or would dump this lemon.

I feel like a Giant in this thing
By Dr. Rob Rice on 03/10/08 22:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

All-in-all, I love this car. Handles well, all the gadgets you can ask for and it's beautiful. However, I'm not a giant (just 6'1") yet I either have to slouch or lean my head. XM radio should be moved to front or all the way in the back - it's covered with sunroof down which makes for poor XM reception especially when traveling S. Both interior and exterior are stylish. People are definately jealous when they get in. Heated seats are awesome. I hate winter.

Could have been better
By thepontiacdude on 02/01/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If you care about "coolness" more than "utility" than it's worth considering this car. However, if you are looking for a family oriented car, I would consider cars like Accord, Camry, Impala, etc. I own a Grand Prix and I think it is a pretty good car and is a lot of fun to drive but unfortunately there are some cons that stand out.

The Perfect Machine
By Superbia on 08/06/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Pontiacs in past years for some people has driven up a rep for being pieces of junk. The new line is far from being junk! My favorite is the the GP GT! It has a good look but is not considered to be a high-end pompous car like some others. The brakes are good, the acceleraation is great, the highway handling is good, and the comfort is pretty good as well. The back seats do have some tiny issues but all in all they are great for the kind of car this is. Corners well and the 3.8l v6 has got some power ready to rumble! If someone dares race you, thinkig this car is among the ordinary, they will soon find out it is not.

More than Meets the Eye!
By Samurai on 07/04/07 23:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The biggest bang for your buck! A refined machine that is easily underestimated. The exterior is sweet and the interior great. The interior design is made for the driver (that is the purpose of driving, right). I hate how the imports overly centralize the dials and in some cases the gauges right in the middle of the car. The interior is simple and not over done like the imports. Their designs tend to be a lot busier. The power is just right, handling great.

Love it
By Whammy on 05/12/07 23:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love the ride and performance. Need more storage in the front and a little hard to see my blind spot when changing lanes, other than that its great. Very sporty, great handling and excellent pick up when I need it. The red illumination is great also.

Better than good, but not quite perfect
By CEN19 on 03/24/07 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

JD Power rated this vehicle as a good buy for reliability and I have to agree. I've had only two minor issues that were quickly corrected under warranty. Very comfortable around town and on the highway. Acceleration with the supercharged engine is excellent, as is braking. This is a large vehicle, so handling is good but not great. Fuel economy is in the low 20s with mostly highway driving; nothing close to the 28 mpg listed on the window sticker. Interior materials are a mix of good to cheap, with some areas nicely padded and textured; others are cheap in feel and durability. Red illumination of instrumentation is very appealing. All controls are easy to operate and very intuitive.

2nd review; Almost at the two year mark.
By adamb on 03/11/07 23:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If you look back about 5 - 10 reviews, you'll see another one from me. This is just an update of that review. At this time, my 2005 grand prix turned over 50k last night. The dealership still has not figured out why it doesn't run right at times. They seem to think i'm crazy. Really, i'm not. It feels as if the brakes are sticking almost, but they say they aren't. I don't know what to do anymore, so this car is for sale as we speak. I'm getting an 07 Camry very soon. No more GM for me. Sorry. All in all, I would really have liked this car had it not been for this weird problem, and the problems with build quality. Rattles are getting worse. I do live in a large city with rough roads.