2005 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Love my car
By Samantha on 10/09/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My GP is my "first" car. I learned to drive in SUVs and trucks, and I usually hate cars b/c they feel so small, but my GP is very roomy, one of the few cars that my dad, who is 6"5', can fit in pretty comfortably. My car handles absolutely great, very sensitive to whatever the driver does. I live in a very hilly and curvy area and the car does the roads great. Although 5 people fit in my car just fine, it isn't really a "family" car.

Not worth what i payed for it
By sullyhaute on 10/01/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The interior design is cramped. I am only 6 ft. tall and I feel like i am way too big for this car. It will get up and go, but that is about the only thing good I can say, I have already had to replace turn signal bulbs, the paint is peeling off the front bumper and mirror covers. I had to replace exhaust clamps, I have to take it in for re-aligning. I would expect this from a old beater car. but this car still only has about 62,000 mile to date.

Great car
By Danfm1 on 08/11/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car is amazing - Pontiac has really improved their products and it can easily challenge foreign cars. The turning is tight, the engine provides plenty of power while sipping gas, there are no rattles and the interior quality is great. It's safe, good looking, and a great ride.

CompG Package makes big difference
By Aeroheadcww on 07/09/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My GP is equipped with the CompG performance package which includes: Head Up Display, Tap Shift, higher gear ratios, stiffer rear sway bar, and red brake calipers, maybe a few other things. The gear ratios dramatically improve acceleration and the sway bar makes this thing handle like a dream. It still maintains a quiet comfortable ride on the highway but is rigid during spirited driving. My biggest complaint about the car is the shifting performance in standard automatic mode, it just doesn't downshift quickly enough and lets the RPM fall well below the power band before it switches to a lower gear. This is alleviated by the Tap Shift system which will let you shift manually.

Loving it
By Ben on 07/06/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven Pontiac grand am before but I finally got my Pontiac grand prix after I lost my previous car. Since I got this car I love it more than any car I ever had. It drives so smooth and less external noise. The I felt in love with it the very moment I saw it. I am hoping to keep it for a very long time.

If I knew then what I know now
By Stuck on 05/09/08 05:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the most expensive car I have purchased and it has been in the shop for 4 major issues 6 times in just over 2 years. At 2 weeks check engine light-replaces senor. Then sun roof leaked twice and flooded car, burning oil-replace exhaust gaskets, steering wheel noise - had to lube steering shaft, now lights in dash burned out and constant vibration in steering wheel. Just afraid what is next? Stuck payment wise or would dump this lemon.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Tom on 04/16/08 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great power and fun to drive, however, 2 pages of repairs including 3 transmissions, tie rod ends, 3 $340 tires, this car was towed 6 times, when I basically gave it away on a trade-in it was diagnosed with another bad transmission and a bad starter!! Drove it a total of 86K. Of all the new vehicles I owned in 35 years this one is the worst. At one point the dealer said he was going to get GM to take the vehicle back, but, that TOO didn't happen. My wife actually told me "that car or me". I love my wife.

Wow, what kind of car is this?
By Russ on 04/09/08 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I get that question asked all the time. I don't know how to answer because it's so different from the base Grand Prix that I often just say "GXP" and then the person who asked shuts up and you can tell they have no clue what a GXP is.

I feel like a Giant in this thing
By Dr. Rob Rice on 03/10/08 22:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

All-in-all, I love this car. Handles well, all the gadgets you can ask for and it's beautiful. However, I'm not a giant (just 6'1") yet I either have to slouch or lean my head. XM radio should be moved to front or all the way in the back - it's covered with sunroof down which makes for poor XM reception especially when traveling S. Both interior and exterior are stylish. People are definately jealous when they get in. Heated seats are awesome. I hate winter.

Could have been better
By thepontiacdude on 02/01/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If you care about "coolness" more than "utility" than it's worth considering this car. However, if you are looking for a family oriented car, I would consider cars like Accord, Camry, Impala, etc. I own a Grand Prix and I think it is a pretty good car and is a lot of fun to drive but unfortunately there are some cons that stand out.