Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

favorite car in 26 years of driving
By Scott

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

I love the remote start.Heads-up display.V8 motor.

It has the monsoon stereo and it below par. could have a sportier hood maybe a couple of small matching hood scoops.

'05 GT
By Griffin

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After trying out several Fords, Dodges, Chryslers, and Chevrolets, my wife and I kept coming back to the Grand Prix. It has the perfect blend of sportiness that she was looking for, and the roomy practicality that I wanted. Fully loaded with black leather, moonroof, CD changer, and Monsoon stereo (which is the best factory stereo I've ever heard), you can't ask for much more in a family sedan. Interior ergonomics are unmatched by anything I've ever owned and the heated bucket seats make long drives a pleasure. No problems to report.

Superior interior ergonomics, love the exhaust rumble

Adequate performance by the old 3800, but could use a little more punch and better MPG. Different steering wheel...this one looks and feels like it was made by Fisher-Price

Rocky Start for a 19yo second car.
By Jon

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in December from GM with $64,000kms and it did well for the first 1500kms (so I thought). The car was sitting on the dealers lot for months and as a result the calipers seized and wore out my pads and rotors. I ended up having to replace front and rear calipers, rotors and pads in the first 2 months I had the car. Once that was done I haven't had any more trouble with the car. It is a awesome car to drive, Lots of power, Handles excellent, and the it turns many heads. I LOVE the interior of the car, It's not boring like the impala or century, The car as of aug has 96,000 kms and I am taking a road trip with friends of around 10,000kms and I have no fear of it failing.

Fuel Efficiency (950 kms per tank HWY) (500 city). Power, Handling, Interior design, Exterior design, 3.8 Engine is amazing. Many More.......

Brake design may need some work, the interior of the dash can be noisy, gear shift should be on the steering column instead of in the center console.

Alot of car for little money
By JLaws

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Picked up my gorgeous stealth gray Grand Prix with 84000 miles on it for $5800. After I did the brakes and purge valve, which is a common thing to fail, it drove like a brand new car. Still feels tight after all the miles and very quiet with the windows rolled up. I've owned higher end luxury car, i.e Lexus, Audi, Cadillac STS, so I can see the drop off in the quality of materials, but the GP's base V6 performance feels as powerful as the 300hp+ engines I am used too.I am on a budget and this car satisfies my needs for the time being. I plan to drive it to the ground!

Spirited V6 power that could get you in trouble :) Good handling even with 16 inch tire. Plenty room and road presence. Quiet

ABS should have been standard, my 1996 Grand am has it! Plasticky radio and dials from the early 1990s!

numerous problems
By Paul

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

Love to drive the car,comfortable,good performance out of the 3800S,and it handles well with the GTP package, although a little stiff. Like the radio controls in the wheel and the heads up display (when it worked)

Mute point, since they quit making them.