Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

Blue/Green Chrystal GXP
By Toni Ahlgren

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2005 GXP is an outstanding performance sportscar. I love the output from the engine when I step on it. It feels like the rear-axle is somehow kind off "glued" when I stop and go and at a redlight if I make a normal start. Feels little bit "jerky"

Favorite Features

Extremely fast & fun. Beautiful colors and I have carbon fiber hood, black on blue/green chrystal. The rims are wow, good handling on road.

Suggested Improvements

brakes and rear axle sloppy.

Dark Cherry GXP
By Brian

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Lots of power with torque-steer, I always say hold on when you put the pedal down. Over-all it's a fun to drive but it does drink fuel even it you drive it normal. Road ruts created by the large trucks seem to whip the car from side to side. My 03 chev had no problem with the ruts, this car does. I'm totally shocked that I need to repair my front brakes at only 25,000 miles considering 90% of the miles are HWY driving and that I really am gentle on my brakes.GM not willing to do anything about the brakes even so it's still under warranty.

Favorite Features

The monsoon stereo sounds great. The extra Horse Power is there if you ever need it to pass someone. Like the roar of the engine out the pipes.

Suggested Improvements

At only 25,000 miles my front brakes are grinding, very surprised because 90% of miles are hwy and i'm not hard on the brakes.. Fuel economy is very poor, not close to EPA sticker ratings.

GXP
By commander

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I hav owned this car almost a year and have loved it since day one. This is not one of those cars that you will regret owning several months later.

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite features include the paddle shift when you have to show up the little punks in their souped up Honda. The next best thing is cruising down the highway at 75 mph and still getting almost 26 MPG in a V8 AWESOME!

Suggested Improvements

The only drawback so far has been the interior with a lot of plastic. The other thing is the lack of performance parts, although it has a lot of performance parts already on it you can only get a Corsa exhaust and still no K&N air filters as of 04/12/2006. All in all still extremely happy.

Lots of looks
By Larry Carson

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my GXP in Octber of 2005. I love this car. I get a lot of looks and finger pointing. My wife said it makes me look and act younger. Very fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

The 300+ horse power, nav system, HUD display, Monsoon stero system

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on the dash.

V8 Bang for the Buck Winner
By APR

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Dreamed about this car a year before it was available. Great looking machine w/ the performance (HP, torque, braking, suspension) to support it. Surprisely controlled torque-steer (traction control) and instantaneous response from the beefed- up 4T65E tranny. The LS4's torque band is huge and pulls from one end of the tach to the other. The StabiliTrak Sport is simply amazing in the snow/ice allowing you to drive safely while having some fun to boot. The PBR brakes (huge drilled & vented rotors w/ dual pistons calipers up front) are gorgeous, responsive, and fade-free. After 6600 mi. we're averaging 20.2 mpg (trip computer) w/ mostly highway (using cruise control) driving @ 74mph.

Favorite Features

LS4 V8 HP & torque, StabiliTrak Sport, 18" Alcoa polished & forged aluminum wheels, PBR brakes w/ red calipers, respectable fuel econ (DOD), very supportive suede-insert leather seats, quad-tip exhaust outlets (w/ musclecar rumble), HUD, Monsoon stereo w/ XM, dual zone HVAC, spoiler, remote start...

Suggested Improvements

RWD or AWD drive platform, 6-speed auto & manual trans availability, "true" dual exhaust, power w/ lumbar in front passenger seat, HID headlights.