2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Consumer Reviews

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )
favorite car in 26 years of driving
By Scott on 12/05/09 20:35 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

numerous problems
By Paul on 06/15/09 13:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

Nice looks and powerful engine but...
By Josh on 11/03/08 11:40 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Tom on 04/16/08 19:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great power and fun to drive, however, 2 pages of repairs including 3 transmissions, tie rod ends, 3 $340 tires, this car was towed 6 times, when I basically gave it away on a trade-in it was diagnosed with another bad transmission and a bad starter!! Drove it a total of 86K. Of all the new vehicles I owned in 35 years this one is the worst. At one point the dealer said he was going to get GM to take the vehicle back, but, that TOO didn't happen. My wife actually told me "that car or me". I love my wife.

Wow, what kind of car is this?
By Russ on 04/09/08 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I get that question asked all the time. I don't know how to answer because it's so different from the base Grand Prix that I often just say "GXP" and then the person who asked shuts up and you can tell they have no clue what a GXP is.

Blue/Green Chrystal GXP
By Toni Ahlgren on 10/24/06 17:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2005 GXP is an outstanding performance sportscar. I love the output from the engine when I step on it. It feels like the rear-axle is somehow kind off "glued" when I stop and go and at a redlight if I make a normal start. Feels little bit "jerky"

Dark Cherry GXP
By Brian on 06/11/06 07:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Lots of power with torque-steer, I always say hold on when you put the pedal down. Over-all it's a fun to drive but it does drink fuel even it you drive it normal. Road ruts created by the large trucks seem to whip the car from side to side. My 03 chev had no problem with the ruts, this car does. I'm totally shocked that I need to repair my front brakes at only 25,000 miles considering 90% of the miles are HWY driving and that I really am gentle on my brakes.GM not willing to do anything about the brakes even so it's still under warranty.

GXP
By commander on 04/13/06 08:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I hav owned this car almost a year and have loved it since day one. This is not one of those cars that you will regret owning several months later.

Lots of looks
By Larry Carson on 02/12/06 22:13 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my GXP in Octber of 2005. I love this car. I get a lot of looks and finger pointing. My wife said it makes me look and act younger. Very fun car to drive.

V8 Bang for the Buck Winner
By APR on 12/31/05 09:09 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Dreamed about this car a year before it was available. Great looking machine w/ the performance (HP, torque, braking, suspension) to support it. Surprisely controlled torque-steer (traction control) and instantaneous response from the beefed- up 4T65E tranny. The LS4's torque band is huge and pulls from one end of the tach to the other. The StabiliTrak Sport is simply amazing in the snow/ice allowing you to drive safely while having some fun to boot. The PBR brakes (huge drilled & vented rotors w/ dual pistons calipers up front) are gorgeous, responsive, and fade-free. After 6600 mi. we're averaging 20.2 mpg (trip computer) w/ mostly highway (using cruise control) driving @ 74mph.