2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

favorite car in 26 years of driving
By Scott

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

Favorite Features

I love the remote start.Heads-up display.V8 motor.

Suggested Improvements

It has the monsoon stereo and it below par. could have a sportier hood maybe a couple of small matching hood scoops.

numerous problems
By Paul

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

Favorite Features

Love to drive the car,comfortable,good performance out of the 3800S,and it handles well with the GTP package, although a little stiff. Like the radio controls in the wheel and the heads up display (when it worked)

Suggested Improvements

Mute point, since they quit making them.

Nice looks and powerful engine but...
By Josh

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

Favorite Features

Paddle shifting is fun, especially headed out on the interstate and at stop lights. 303hp V8 puts me back in my seat when punching it. The color and stock wheels make it pop. Classic dash, reminisent of the old T/A's.

Suggested Improvements

Of course the interior really lacks. Being the top of the line GP, I would think more would have gone into it. I don't mind the FWD V8, but I am sure most would have like to have seen the power in the rear-end. 225's in back and 255's in front? What's that all about?

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Tom

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great power and fun to drive, however, 2 pages of repairs including 3 transmissions, tie rod ends, 3 $340 tires, this car was towed 6 times, when I basically gave it away on a trade-in it was diagnosed with another bad transmission and a bad starter!! Drove it a total of 86K. Of all the new vehicles I owned in 35 years this one is the worst. At one point the dealer said he was going to get GM to take the vehicle back, but, that TOO didn't happen. My wife actually told me "that car or me". I love my wife.

Favorite Features

HUD and engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start. not much reliable about this vehicle, so.... engineering would be a good place to start.

Wow, what kind of car is this?
By Russ

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I get that question asked all the time. I don't know how to answer because it's so different from the base Grand Prix that I often just say "GXP" and then the person who asked shuts up and you can tell they have no clue what a GXP is.

Favorite Features

Engine, seats, Heads Up Display, Premium sound system, Blue-Green Crystal Premium Paint

Suggested Improvements

the interior and there were some small quality glitches, but I'm sure not everyone has the same and they were all under warranty.

Blue/Green Chrystal GXP
By Toni Ahlgren

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2005 GXP is an outstanding performance sportscar. I love the output from the engine when I step on it. It feels like the rear-axle is somehow kind off "glued" when I stop and go and at a redlight if I make a normal start. Feels little bit "jerky"

Favorite Features

Extremely fast & fun. Beautiful colors and I have carbon fiber hood, black on blue/green chrystal. The rims are wow, good handling on road.

Suggested Improvements

brakes and rear axle sloppy.

Dark Cherry GXP
By Brian

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Lots of power with torque-steer, I always say hold on when you put the pedal down. Over-all it's a fun to drive but it does drink fuel even it you drive it normal. Road ruts created by the large trucks seem to whip the car from side to side. My 03 chev had no problem with the ruts, this car does. I'm totally shocked that I need to repair my front brakes at only 25,000 miles considering 90% of the miles are HWY driving and that I really am gentle on my brakes.GM not willing to do anything about the brakes even so it's still under warranty.

Favorite Features

The monsoon stereo sounds great. The extra Horse Power is there if you ever need it to pass someone. Like the roar of the engine out the pipes.

Suggested Improvements

At only 25,000 miles my front brakes are grinding, very surprised because 90% of miles are hwy and i'm not hard on the brakes.. Fuel economy is very poor, not close to EPA sticker ratings.

GXP
By commander

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I hav owned this car almost a year and have loved it since day one. This is not one of those cars that you will regret owning several months later.

Favorite Features

Some of my favorite features include the paddle shift when you have to show up the little punks in their souped up Honda. The next best thing is cruising down the highway at 75 mph and still getting almost 26 MPG in a V8 AWESOME!

Suggested Improvements

The only drawback so far has been the interior with a lot of plastic. The other thing is the lack of performance parts, although it has a lot of performance parts already on it you can only get a Corsa exhaust and still no K&N air filters as of 04/12/2006. All in all still extremely happy.

Lots of looks
By Larry Carson

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my GXP in Octber of 2005. I love this car. I get a lot of looks and finger pointing. My wife said it makes me look and act younger. Very fun car to drive.

Favorite Features

The 300+ horse power, nav system, HUD display, Monsoon stero system

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on the dash.

V8 Bang for the Buck Winner
By APR

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Dreamed about this car a year before it was available. Great looking machine w/ the performance (HP, torque, braking, suspension) to support it. Surprisely controlled torque-steer (traction control) and instantaneous response from the beefed- up 4T65E tranny. The LS4's torque band is huge and pulls from one end of the tach to the other. The StabiliTrak Sport is simply amazing in the snow/ice allowing you to drive safely while having some fun to boot. The PBR brakes (huge drilled & vented rotors w/ dual pistons calipers up front) are gorgeous, responsive, and fade-free. After 6600 mi. we're averaging 20.2 mpg (trip computer) w/ mostly highway (using cruise control) driving @ 74mph.

Favorite Features

LS4 V8 HP & torque, StabiliTrak Sport, 18" Alcoa polished & forged aluminum wheels, PBR brakes w/ red calipers, respectable fuel econ (DOD), very supportive suede-insert leather seats, quad-tip exhaust outlets (w/ musclecar rumble), HUD, Monsoon stereo w/ XM, dual zone HVAC, spoiler, remote start...

Suggested Improvements

RWD or AWD drive platform, 6-speed auto & manual trans availability, "true" dual exhaust, power w/ lumbar in front passenger seat, HID headlights.