Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Consumer Reviews

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

favorite car in 26 years of driving
By Scott

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

I love the remote start.Heads-up display.V8 motor.

It has the monsoon stereo and it below par. could have a sportier hood maybe a couple of small matching hood scoops.

numerous problems
By Paul

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

Love to drive the car,comfortable,good performance out of the 3800S,and it handles well with the GTP package, although a little stiff. Like the radio controls in the wheel and the heads up display (when it worked)

Mute point, since they quit making them.

Nice looks and powerful engine but...
By Josh

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

Paddle shifting is fun, especially headed out on the interstate and at stop lights. 303hp V8 puts me back in my seat when punching it. The color and stock wheels make it pop. Classic dash, reminisent of the old T/A's.

Of course the interior really lacks. Being the top of the line GP, I would think more would have gone into it. I don't mind the FWD V8, but I am sure most would have like to have seen the power in the rear-end. 225's in back and 255's in front? What's that all about?

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Tom

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great power and fun to drive, however, 2 pages of repairs including 3 transmissions, tie rod ends, 3 $340 tires, this car was towed 6 times, when I basically gave it away on a trade-in it was diagnosed with another bad transmission and a bad starter!! Drove it a total of 86K. Of all the new vehicles I owned in 35 years this one is the worst. At one point the dealer said he was going to get GM to take the vehicle back, but, that TOO didn't happen. My wife actually told me "that car or me". I love my wife.

HUD and engine power.

Where do I start. not much reliable about this vehicle, so.... engineering would be a good place to start.

Wow, what kind of car is this?
By Russ

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I get that question asked all the time. I don't know how to answer because it's so different from the base Grand Prix that I often just say "GXP" and then the person who asked shuts up and you can tell they have no clue what a GXP is.

Engine, seats, Heads Up Display, Premium sound system, Blue-Green Crystal Premium Paint

the interior and there were some small quality glitches, but I'm sure not everyone has the same and they were all under warranty.