2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Have to keep an eye on

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

GTP Sedan (3.8L V6 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic)

Have to keep an eye on
By meerkat_mayhem on

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had an amazing experience with this car in terms of it's performance, but for you fellow owners, you have to be VERY AWARE of any issues with your power steering unit as well as any minute leakage that may be undetectable from your water pump. Watch your temperature gauge for any increase in heat and monitor your coolant levels. I just experienced the worse case scenario when driving on the freeway and suddenly getting the ping informing me to shut down AC due to engine overheating. 4200.00 later valves had to be replaced and head gaskets machined in addition to much more. Google make,model,year "engine overheating" for more info. Please be diligent about this.

The quick engine response when I need to merge into oncoming traffic. The ability to know and feel when my car is not quite right, (despite above review). The fact this car has responded so quickly and safely in driving in all types of weather and conditions beyond by control. It's just so great! The black leather seats, not so great in the summer.

Deal with the issues so many owners have already had to deal with and have posted online. I understand that if you try to key into specific issues regarding all aspects of this car there is bound to be something, but if I had only known about the water pump issue, I would have been more the rave of my car. And gas mileage, well it sucks, but with a 280HP engine, you get what you get.
By zaranjjt
on 01/25/14 19:21 PM (PST)

Right you are - My car is at 114k and running. Last yr Nov I hit a curb and soon after had a lot of problems with leaks/ power steering fluid, coolant, over heating etc. Got them all fixed and now the car drives as smooth as butter. One mechanic said the engine could go on to around 350k but sadly transmission would have given way long before then.