2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GM retired a powerhouse
By zaranjjt on 01/25/14 19:30 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car in 2005 with 6k on it.It's now around 114k and still running splendidly.Never really had any major problems until last year when I accidentally hit a curb. Soon after had to replace tie rods, brakes found leaks in the coolant tank and power steering reservoirs. Got them all replaced at around 5k, now the car runs like smooth as silk. Even now i get a thrill out of an early morning acceleration rush. the a/c brings temperatures to polar regions in the peak Texan summer effortlessly. The car used to sheer through Michigan snows without so much as a sway. Many friends who had Hondas and Infinitis would ride with me because the stability of the Grand Prix in those conditions.

Have to keep an eye on
By meerkat_mayhem on 06/08/13 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had an amazing experience with this car in terms of it's performance, but for you fellow owners, you have to be VERY AWARE of any issues with your power steering unit as well as any minute leakage that may be undetectable from your water pump. Watch your temperature gauge for any increase in heat and monitor your coolant levels. I just experienced the worse case scenario when driving on the freeway and suddenly getting the ping informing me to shut down AC due to engine overheating. 4200.00 later valves had to be replaced and head gaskets machined in addition to much more. Google make,model,year "engine overheating" for more info. Please be diligent about this.

Vehicle performance and reliability
By jimmy129 on 04/21/13 06:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2004 in 2008, from a local auction with 104k. It has 192k on it. I have gotten excellent service. Oil changed every 3k miles at dealer. All maintenance done at dealer, the usual wear. Travel south 3x yearly, without problems. Very reliable vehicle. GM stop making, why. Would or will purchase another and keep current.

Sad To See Pontiac Go
By indianmike on 02/09/13 20:57 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought the car new in December 2003 and am still driving it in 2013 with 105,000 miles. Got the GTP and it still accelerates like a champ and handles very well. I'm pleased with the interior with easy to use controls, plus it fits me like a glove. This car is big but doesn't feel too big like our Chevy Monte Carlo. Excellent factory stereo, heads up display that should be in every vehicle and a reliable 3.8 engine. The paint still sparkles, the chrome wheels look great and the body style isn't embarrassing for a 10 year old car. The problems I've experienced are a recurring problem with the traction control and body squeaks that drive me crazy. Too much plastic in the interior.

Good Ol' Girl
By nola2012 on 06/21/12 13:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in Sept 05 with 33,000 miles on it. I am now looking to retire her with 220 plus. Overall she's been very reliable but this car does have some design flaws. Rainstorms are not its friend. Water runs down into the AC system and I had to have the heater box replaced. The blower began sticking on last year, got it fixed and didn't last. The AC system has now burned up in it completely and I'm not getting it fixed. The floors will also get soaked in heavy rain which is really strange. The backseat is too cramped but the trunk is the size of Nebraska. I have loved the power and good looks of this car though.

Dependable, sporty, but a little ho-hum too
By fnash on 09/16/11 13:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my GP GT2 used with about 32,000 miles on it and now have 115,000. I have not had to have any major service done on it, ever. I have had to replace normal wear and tear items like brake pads or rotors, and have oddball issues that occur still. The fuel pump seal is bad so when the car sits for a bit the fuel drains down the line. Turn the key to ON a couple of times before going to START and you're fine. Exhaust sound is outstanding, handling is great, and power is nice but a little lacking by today's standards. Fit and finish is OK but kind of bland and cheap looking. Overall though, an excellent purchase. Well worth the money.

Great Car
By mrwenger04 on 07/12/11 08:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Grand Prix. Traded in 95 with over 200K (transmission started failing). Bought my 2004 with 33K in 2005. Now has 180K and engine still runs as smooth as when i purchased it. Transmission tends to slip when HOT. This car has had NO REPAIRS since purchased. I call my car THE ONE. She will never leave me stranded :) One down fall i will admit is the back seat. With a tall toddler and being tall myself i have to adjust my seat forward for him to have room. Great mileage since day one. I take great car of my car as well and hope to see 250K before i turn her in. Or maybe i'll keep her and buy a 2008 with low mile's. Love my Grand Prix :) wish they would make MORE!!!

Descent little car
By Myron King on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I traded my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi for this car. Overall, the car is okay. I miss having a truck though. The car had 51k miles when I got it. Its got 61k miles and there's been some problems with it. The stability track module went bad, the moonroof doesn't function properly, window motors went bad. Thankfully, the car has a maxcare warranty from CarMax that's good for 100k miles. The previous owner kept detailed maintenance rec'ds. I can't wait to trade this car in for something bigger and more powerful.

Love this Car!
By aaaprotected on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT2 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Pontiac brand new! It has 132,000 miles on it and I still love this car like when I bought it. I have only had minor things go wrong, but nothing ever major! I sadly trading it in for something newer with less miles. Being Pontiac isn't making these anymore I am having to search for a car just as great! If you love POWER you will love the 3.8 motor.

My Poor Grand Prix
By Ben on 09/08/10 13:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT1 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Like many other cars, this car has its up's and down's. Unfortunately for me, there were more down's than up's. It may be due to the fact that I bought it with 155k miles on it but it still doesn't change the fact that the Grand Prix is not built with quality materials. My car overheated four times within a span of 8 months. I expected the car to last till around 250k miles but I'm gonna trade this bad boy in. Car has decent acceleration but no power after 3500 rpm. And nowadays little 4 cylinders can hang and even outrun this V6 and still get better gas mileage. I suggest getting a GTP or GXP and get those extra horses or else you'll be disappointed just like me. Don't do it to yourself!