Used 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

LORD HAVE MERCY
By Shell

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I was a 18 year old college student when I bought this car. I bought it and the same week found out it had bad wheel bearings. throughout the year I've had problems with it here and there. it started leaking anti freeze causing my heat not to work. then my motor blew up in it. I had to get a motor from another Pontiac and replace it with mine. not even a month later I was taking a right turn on Main Street and my car wouldn't move. my transmission was falling out of my car!! I did not have these gears; R,D,N,3. that was when (after having the car for 7 months) I gave up. I ended up selling my car for parts because I kept the outside and inside very clean. I ended up getting $400 out of it. but I will never ever get a Pontiac car again. every time I see the same car I had I want to go spit on it

Loved it while I had it
By Michelle

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

A few years ago I was in a tight spot and had to replace my car ASAP because it had been totaled and I was allowed to have it for three days to "drive within daylight hours in the local area" so that I could replace my car.

Enter the orange 2004 Pontiac GTP. I bought it used, with over 130k miles on it. That was the best car I ever had! I loved it until I had to part with it recently (traded it in for a Kia Soul - don't judge me! I didn't want to do it but I had to!)

To start, it was lovely all around. Smooth, sleek, sexy - my friends found it to be an attractive car even if it was something "older" than what they had. I even had a friend that asked if I were to sell it that I come to him first. Unfortunately I had to part with it after three years, with over 167k miles on it. Let me tell you a little something about the Pontiac I had.

For the first two years, it held together great. But this past year it started falling apart. I replaced the cad. converter, the throttle body, the blower motor, replaced the master window switch and had my muffler fixed (technically that was last year). I bought this car for around $5k, and just barely got a $1000 for it. Here's my bottom line to anyone looking to purchase an older Pontiac; be prepared to drop some serious cash into it if it's a GTP. One of the reasons why I had to part with my beloved car was because on my way to class I broke down on the highway. A call to a trust worthy mechanic and towman later I found out the computer in the car was going. Ah-ha~ I thought to myself, so this is they the horn was starting to be picky about when it would sound! I almost got into an accident because my tires were worn (I didn't know at the time) and when I hydroplaned I nearly caused an accident - had it not been for the squealing tires the other driver would not have been aware of what was going on... because not matter how many times I hit the horn it wouldn't work! (but later it worked in the parking lot)

Over all what I loved about it - it was affordable before it started falling apart. Comfortable. The heated seats and sun roof were a plus. Beautiful color - I haven't seen too many cars pull off the orange exterior as well as the Pontiac. Looked fantastic with tinted windows. Great trunk size, V6 engine was great, and it was fun even if it didn't have all of todays bells and whistles (blue tooth, navigation, etc) I once had to tote around an old man in a wheelchair and what we liked was the seat was leveled with his wheelchair. Pop a sliding board on the seat and he could just scoot over comfortably. The back seat might be a tight fit for some people, but I was able to transport a friend (riding shot gun) her two kids (one in a car seat, the other in a booster) plus my basset hound pound puppy.

Downside? If you're in the snowbelt this was not an ideal car. I crashed twice into a curb in one year because of snowbuild up on the tires. I managed to bust up a strut and my swaybar. Some of the parts I needed my mechanic had to go to a junk yard for - which makes me wonder if the first converter that was replaced was a junk yard part. The backseats are not ideal for tall people. You'll feel squished and I don't know about others, but I always felt that I was being folded in half sitting back there. And if you have a GTP, be prepared to shell out some serious $$$ for repairs. Some of the simplest jobs cost extra for me because of how everything under the hood was arrange. Oh... and don't ask me why but GM put the power steering fluid down, almost behind the engine! It was very irritating when I had to pop the hood and locate the cap.

All in all, this may make a great summer car for people who want less features and more car.

Have to keep an eye on
By meerkat_mayhem

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had an amazing experience with this car in terms of it's performance, but for you fellow owners, you have to be VERY AWARE of any issues with your power steering unit as well as any minute leakage that may be undetectable from your water pump.
Watch your temperature gauge for any increase in heat and monitor your coolant levels.
I just experienced the worse case scenario when driving on the freeway and suddenly getting the ping informing me to shut down AC due to engine overheating.
4200.00 later valves had to be replaced and head gaskets machined in addition to much more.
Google make,model,year "engine overheating" for more info.
Please be diligent about this.

The quick engine response when I need to merge into oncoming traffic. The ability to know and feel when my car is not quite right, (despite above review). The fact this car has responded so quickly and safely in driving in all types of weather and conditions beyond by control. It's just so great! The black leather seats, not so great in the summer.

Deal with the issues so many owners have already had to deal with and have posted online. I understand that if you try to key into specific issues regarding all aspects of this car there is bound to be something, but if I had only known about the water pump issue, I would have been more the rave of my car. And gas mileage, well it sucks, but with a 280HP engine, you get what you get.

Sad To See Pontiac Go
By indianmike

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought the car new in December 2003 and am still driving it in 2013 with 105,000 miles.
Got the GTP and it still accelerates like a champ and handles very well.
I'm pleased with the interior with easy to use controls, plus it fits me like a glove.
This car is big but doesn't feel too big like our Chevy Monte Carlo.
Excellent factory stereo, heads up display that should be in every vehicle and a reliable 3.8 engine.
The paint still sparkles, the chrome wheels look great and the body style isn't embarrassing for a 10 year old car.
The problems I've experienced are a recurring problem with the traction control and body squeaks that drive me crazy.
Too much plastic in the interior.

Supercharger Heads up display Monsoon stereo that sounds way better than our 2010 GMC Acadia. The Chevy can't even compare. The color is dark gray and the windows are tinted, both complemented by the chrome wheels. It still looks good for its age. The body style IS a little out of date but, hey, it's 10 years old so what do you expect?

So GM discontinued Pontiac but kept Buick. Good strategy, GM. The impact to me? I'm about to buy my first Honda or (dare I say it?) Ford.

Descent little car
By Myron King

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I traded my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi for this car. Overall, the car is okay. I miss having a truck though. The car had 51k miles when I got it. Its got 61k miles and there's been some problems with it. The stability track module went bad, the moonroof doesn't function properly, window motors went bad. Thankfully, the car has a maxcare warranty from CarMax that's good for 100k miles. The previous owner kept detailed maintenance rec'ds. I can't wait to trade this car in for something bigger and more powerful.

GTP "Comp G" Pkg. supercharger V6 motor, Custom rims heads-up display, monsoon stereo, steering wheel controls, short trip display, sporty look, fast

I don't like the leather buckets, the paddle shifters are useless