2004 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Have to keep an eye on
By meerkat_mayhem on 06/08/13 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had an amazing experience with this car in terms of it's performance, but for you fellow owners, you have to be VERY AWARE of any issues with your power steering unit as well as any minute leakage that may be undetectable from your water pump. Watch your temperature gauge for any increase in heat and monitor your coolant levels. I just experienced the worse case scenario when driving on the freeway and suddenly getting the ping informing me to shut down AC due to engine overheating. 4200.00 later valves had to be replaced and head gaskets machined in addition to much more. Google make,model,year "engine overheating" for more info. Please be diligent about this.

Sad To See Pontiac Go
By indianmike on 02/09/13 20:57 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought the car new in December 2003 and am still driving it in 2013 with 105,000 miles. Got the GTP and it still accelerates like a champ and handles very well. I'm pleased with the interior with easy to use controls, plus it fits me like a glove. This car is big but doesn't feel too big like our Chevy Monte Carlo. Excellent factory stereo, heads up display that should be in every vehicle and a reliable 3.8 engine. The paint still sparkles, the chrome wheels look great and the body style isn't embarrassing for a 10 year old car. The problems I've experienced are a recurring problem with the traction control and body squeaks that drive me crazy. Too much plastic in the interior.

Descent little car
By Myron King on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I traded my '06 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi for this car. Overall, the car is okay. I miss having a truck though. The car had 51k miles when I got it. Its got 61k miles and there's been some problems with it. The stability track module went bad, the moonroof doesn't function properly, window motors went bad. Thankfully, the car has a maxcare warranty from CarMax that's good for 100k miles. The previous owner kept detailed maintenance rec'ds. I can't wait to trade this car in for something bigger and more powerful.

The Grandest of Them All
By Kathy on 09/14/09 11:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This has been the grandest of all my vehicles. I absolutely love this vehicle. I actually get 27-28 MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway. Outstanding vehicle, power in the engine is great. I love the hauling space with the fold down back seats AND the extra fold back front passenger seat. This was my first vehicle with traction control and what a difference that made this past winter when I was on black ice and didn't even know it. This car is definitely a keeper. I was so to hear that Pontiac Grand Prix was thrown to the wolves.

Wonderful First Car
By Kat on 04/20/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I love this vehicle! I drive it just about every other day, and it has held up through numerous trips from Nashville to Knoxville and back. The fuel economy around town isn't wonderful, but 27 mpg hwy is just fine with me. I love the sounds of the engine, and even at 105,000 miles, it still sounds strong.

One Of The Best All Around Sedans Ever!
By Steve S. on 11/27/08 08:22 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The 2004 Grand Prix GTP is one of the best all around cars I have ever owned! It has the power of a V8, the gas mileage of a 4-6 cyl, handles curves and looks great. I am a Pontiac enthusiest who loves to drive my cars, I not only drive this car to work everyday (28 miles round trip) and get 23 MPG and 28 MPG highway, but I drive on twisty roads and even around Road Atlanta. I purchased this car new and just turned over 45,000 miles and have had 3 small problems since new (intermiate shaft greased, a couple of rear defrost lines out and water leak above reading lights). It has been a great car and I can't say enough about it, very fast, handles, great looks, cool interior and options.

I loved it when I bought it
By Duane on 11/13/08 12:26 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

As a car guy I really enjoyed this car at first. So far I've had the steering repaired. Recently, the a/c compressor bearing went out. That skewed the belt which put tension where it didn't belong. The alternator, tensioners and compressor all needed replacement. The new compressor (a GM part) has significantly higher sides to keep the belt in place. I've also learned there's a problem with the intake gaskets and some day they'll need replacement. (My wife's '05 Impala already went through this.) GM has some serious quality problems here and it's not just on Pontiac. I hate to say it, but I'll be looking at foreign cars next time I buy and GM can only blame themselves.

Reliable, Fun, American Owned Co.
By Mick on 08/27/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This was my first new car, I traded in my 1999 Mazda Protege on it. I absolutely love it. I keep it clean and get comments all the time on how sharp it is. I have the CompG package (highly recommended) that stiffens up the rides. I have no regrets on this purchase. American owned company, the way to buy. The Heads Up Display is so nice. Talk about a safety feature, I can change the radio, CDs, cruise, all seeing it on my windshield, so I never take my eyes off the road. All these control buttons are located on the steering wheel. The HUD also displays direction and temp. The supercharger rocks! I will take this motor over a 260 HP motor w/out a supercharger any day. Hang tight!!

I'd buy the same car again
By mlaner92 on 11/27/07 13:52 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

It's hard to write everything I like about the car: performance, handling, mileage (for the performance, it's pretty darn good), the front seats, features, options, looks...i'm sure there's more. The drawbacks: I probably could have been OK with the added MPG of the GT over the performance of the GTP, but what's the fun in that? I'm glad I don't ever have to ride in the backseat. Ride seems to stiffen a lot during cold weather, more than any car i've owned in the past.

The muscle car lives....but it's GM
By GhostOfDeLorean on 09/15/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Bought the car because of the engine and cockpit interior. Yes, it's dated, but the 3800 will run forever. I have the GTP Comp/G and it's a head turner! Fast off the line. Have to watch over torquing into curves. TapShift is ok, but could live without. Has every option. Too bad it does not come with heated mirrors. The bad: N85 five-spoke chrome alloy wheels are crap. Nice looking but the chrome is bubbling off after three years and breaking the seal. GM will only supply reconditioned rims. Will never buy a new GM product again.