Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Most Helpful|
GrandPrix Luva
By luvpontiac

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love the Grand Prix design as well as the reliability. This is my second Grand Prix and the only reason I sold my other one was because I wanted something newer! Has a lot of get up, fun to drive, smooth handling, and reliability is excellent. I have not had one problem with my new GP yet! Not to mention Pontiac has the BEST stereos in their vehicles.

Favorite Features

Reliability...I always know even in the 30 below Iowa weather...my car will start without a problem! Stereo is a must!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the front are cheap! Fix em!

great American design and quality
By save the brand

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have never been sorry I bought this GM product.Overall reliability has been excellent.The engine has good power and good fuel economy,and it SOUNDS like a real engine. The handling with the low profile tires and alloy wheels is excellent. Ride quality is very good,a bit on the firm side,w/good road feel. This car has never had a 4 wheel alignment and tracks straight as an arrow. No probs with the with the exhaust,battery,or even a belt!I have replaced only 2 components- the gas cap and the blower motor resistor(that was a tough do-it-yourself-job, but I managed).The fit and finish is very good,with virtually no squeaks or rattles in 5+years. &I know my wife is safe in it.I would buy again.

Favorite Features

very good interior comfort and ergonomics, very good engine and tranny, great styling, perfect size, high-quality components throughout. solid handling. easy-to-use-radio and other controls. tweeters on the A-pillars. good ventilation system.

Suggested Improvements

very few. a florescent blue or green backlight in the dash instead of red, which is a bit hard on the eyes. a little more passing power from the 3.1 v-6

This car has changed my views of GM
By partsman99

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 71K miles on it in 2009. The clock currently shows 137K, and I am fairly impressed with it. Starts every time I put the key in, no matter how hot or cold it is. The good: plenty of power with the standard 3.8, decent sound system, good fuel economy with the size of the car, the overall look of the car is pleasing to the eye. The bad: needed intake manifold and gaskets right at 100K, a solenoid in the trans is going bad, low roof line so my head is almost rubbing the ceiling (I'm 6'1"), very picky about which alternator is in it. My overall opinion is this is a good car, and that takes a lot for me to say being a die-hard Mopar fan. It's old, and people still like it.

Favorite Features

Averages 26 mpg with my 40 mile commute to work everyday, decent Bose sound system, near bullit-proof 3.8L engine. Ride quality is decent.

Suggested Improvements

Make all the engine/transmission gaskets last longer than 90K miles. All the Chrysler's I've driven in the past have never had this problem. Electrical system could use some improving. The rear tail lamps draw moisture, which most Grand Prix's on the road have this problem.

Good First Car
By am_can_drift

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first car. By the time I got it, it had 185k miles on it. The struts were already bad, and it ran great. This car was a classic new-age Pontiac in that the electronics inside broke, but it held together under the hood. (the gas flotation device broke, inside dashboard lights went out partway). I had very few problems under the hood with this car. It ran in all conditions, and it carried the workload. Eventually, the head gasket blew and the trans started to go bad at 215k miles. Between service records and me, these were the first problems under the hood. It is a great first car in that it can take quite a beating. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a first car.

Favorite Features

Strong engine (for first 200k), sleek design, fast, nice rims, strong all around, replacement parts are very easy to find.

Suggested Improvements

Better electronics, stronger, non-plastic fenders, built more to last, less expensive exhaust repair required.

Great Bang for the Buck
By Brent

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Fun car to drive and still turns heads four years later. Excellent power and handling for such a large car. Exceptionally reliable. In 70,000 miles, have only changed front brakes and a set of tires (oh - forgot about the water pump). Still gets 30 mpg on the road with a driver, three adult passengers and luggage.

Favorite Features

Well built, reliable drive train. Classic body design

Suggested Improvements

Back seat area is not very comfortable for adults. My Camry has much more back seat room. Front seats could use an upgrade and better lumbar support. Marginal cup holders. Drags bottom easily, but wouldn't want to reduce handling or good looks by raising the car.