Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Good First Car
By am_can_drift

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first car. By the time I got it, it had 185k miles on it. The struts were already bad, and it ran great. This car was a classic new-age Pontiac in that the electronics inside broke, but it held together under the hood. (the gas flotation device broke, inside dashboard lights went out partway). I had very few problems under the hood with this car. It ran in all conditions, and it carried the workload. Eventually, the head gasket blew and the trans started to go bad at 215k miles. Between service records and me, these were the first problems under the hood. It is a great first car in that it can take quite a beating. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a first car.

Strong engine (for first 200k), sleek design, fast, nice rims, strong all around, replacement parts are very easy to find.

Better electronics, stronger, non-plastic fenders, built more to last, less expensive exhaust repair required.

Great Value
By the_squizz

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I just want to start by saying I love this car. I bought this car with 94K miles for under $5K. I am very handy with a wrench ( I actually used to be a mechanic ), but this car is absolutely horrid to work on in the driveway. It is simply not made to be serviced outside of a professional shop environment. A great car, just be prepared to spend all day for seemingly simple repair jobs OR actually break down and drop it off at a shop for repairs. Other than that, the car is great. I have spent ~$1500 in a year and a half for repairs thus far. Remember, even tho the L67 is bulletproof, the outside accessories and sensors have a shelf life and will fail eventually. This goes for all cars.

Performance and styling.

Pontiac is sadly long gone, so improvements are impossible to make now.

This car has changed my views of GM
By partsman99

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 71K miles on it in 2009. The clock currently shows 137K, and I am fairly impressed with it. Starts every time I put the key in, no matter how hot or cold it is. The good: plenty of power with the standard 3.8, decent sound system, good fuel economy with the size of the car, the overall look of the car is pleasing to the eye. The bad: needed intake manifold and gaskets right at 100K, a solenoid in the trans is going bad, low roof line so my head is almost rubbing the ceiling (I'm 6'1"), very picky about which alternator is in it. My overall opinion is this is a good car, and that takes a lot for me to say being a die-hard Mopar fan. It's old, and people still like it.

Averages 26 mpg with my 40 mile commute to work everyday, decent Bose sound system, near bullit-proof 3.8L engine. Ride quality is decent.

Make all the engine/transmission gaskets last longer than 90K miles. All the Chrysler's I've driven in the past have never had this problem. Electrical system could use some improving. The rear tail lamps draw moisture, which most Grand Prix's on the road have this problem.

So far so Good
By Ray Schiller

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this car for $5k from an individual, and so far, I love it. It runs smooth and powerful even with the 3.1. Handling is very responsive (kind of like the Camaro LT I use to have). Ride is firm and sporty. At 68K mi. it has a few minor imperfections, but hey, Ive been driving a 92 Chevy pickup with a stick for 12.5 years so this car feels like a Vette. I was glad to find out that the engine has a timing chain, no belt. Lots of fun to drive with dead straight tracking. I find myself taking the long way home. The stereo sounds great & the seats are comfortable. Overall, it's a really nice ride for not a lot of money. If you want a great car for $5 to $6k check one out.

Handling, Ride, Tracking, Performance, Smoothness, Controls, Sound System, Comfort, Exterior (I'll always love this body style), Driving Experience!

It doesn't matter now...Pontiac is gone...How sad. but just for grins, the cup holders are pretty flimsy. NBD

Good ole American car
By middleage

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I originally bought a 99 gtp that went 154000 miles before a deer got it. Couldn't bare to pay close to 20k for an new econobox, so bought the last of this generation in 2007 for half that. It is a comfortable muscle car. Acceleration and long distance cruising are its forte. Handling is okay but sloppy when really pushed. The transmission does this clunk at times when starting from a stop?? The "leather" is more like vinyl and the rear seats are not adult comfortable over the long haul. The hvac setting doesn't work in the first 2 positions. The brakes fade under repeated hard use. A 5 speed [m]transmission would have made this car much quicker. 15 mpg city 26 mpg hwy. Feels solid but fat.

Looks, Acceleration, practical. Value. Thus far reliable. Bose sound with the steering wheel controls. HUD. Decent fuel economy for a big powerful car [ I have a heavy foot ] No snob appeal. Decent handling. Space for size.

5 or 6 speed [a/m] transmission. Better brakes. Tighter suspension. Quicker steering. I'd prefer cloth to cheap leather. The GPs after this generation are not good looking and drive heavier? What am I saying Pontiac is dead, but this was one of their best vehicles.