2003 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Great Value
By the_squizz on 12/05/13 10:48 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I just want to start by saying I love this car. I bought this car with 94K miles for under $5K. I am very handy with a wrench ( I actually used to be a mechanic ), but this car is absolutely horrid to work on in the driveway. It is simply not made to be serviced outside of a professional shop environment. A great car, just be prepared to spend all day for seemingly simple repair jobs OR actually break down and drop it off at a shop for repairs. Other than that, the car is great. I have spent ~$1500 in a year and a half for repairs thus far. Remember, even tho the L67 is bulletproof, the outside accessories and sensors have a shelf life and will fail eventually. This goes for all cars.

This car has changed my views of GM
By partsman99 on 04/24/12 12:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 71K miles on it in 2009. The clock currently shows 137K, and I am fairly impressed with it. Starts every time I put the key in, no matter how hot or cold it is. The good: plenty of power with the standard 3.8, decent sound system, good fuel economy with the size of the car, the overall look of the car is pleasing to the eye. The bad: needed intake manifold and gaskets right at 100K, a solenoid in the trans is going bad, low roof line so my head is almost rubbing the ceiling (I'm 6'1"), very picky about which alternator is in it. My overall opinion is this is a good car, and that takes a lot for me to say being a die-hard Mopar fan. It's old, and people still like it.

So far so Good
By Ray Schiller on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this car for $5k from an individual, and so far, I love it. It runs smooth and powerful even with the 3.1. Handling is very responsive (kind of like the Camaro LT I use to have). Ride is firm and sporty. At 68K mi. it has a few minor imperfections, but hey, Ive been driving a 92 Chevy pickup with a stick for 12.5 years so this car feels like a Vette. I was glad to find out that the engine has a timing chain, no belt. Lots of fun to drive with dead straight tracking. I find myself taking the long way home. The stereo sounds great & the seats are comfortable. Overall, it's a really nice ride for not a lot of money. If you want a great car for $5 to $6k check one out.

Good ole American car
By middleage on 01/27/10 19:35 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I originally bought a 99 gtp that went 154000 miles before a deer got it. Couldn't bare to pay close to 20k for an new econobox, so bought the last of this generation in 2007 for half that. It is a comfortable muscle car. Acceleration and long distance cruising are its forte. Handling is okay but sloppy when really pushed. The transmission does this clunk at times when starting from a stop?? The "leather" is more like vinyl and the rear seats are not adult comfortable over the long haul. The hvac setting doesn't work in the first 2 positions. The brakes fade under repeated hard use. A 5 speed [m]transmission would have made this car much quicker. 15 mpg city 26 mpg hwy. Feels solid but fat.

Love it
By Kim on 01/26/10 12:41 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased my 2003 new in 2004. I leased a 2000 and loved it, but didnt like the look of the 04s, so went out of state to buy it. Totally love the car, driving is never boring, and the acceleration is fantastic. Some minor repairs: brakes, thermostat, and a few other things, but nothing major. Sometimes I think about buying a new car, but I don't think there is one out there with this quality and this much fun to drive. Still looks great!

great American design and quality
By save the brand on 07/16/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have never been sorry I bought this GM product.Overall reliability has been excellent.The engine has good power and good fuel economy,and it SOUNDS like a real engine. The handling with the low profile tires and alloy wheels is excellent. Ride quality is very good,a bit on the firm side,w/good road feel. This car has never had a 4 wheel alignment and tracks straight as an arrow. No probs with the with the exhaust,battery,or even a belt!I have replaced only 2 components- the gas cap and the blower motor resistor(that was a tough do-it-yourself-job, but I managed).The fit and finish is very good,with virtually no squeaks or rattles in 5+years. &I know my wife is safe in it.I would buy again.

Never buy another Pontiac
By Gary Keister on 08/29/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Let's start out by saying I have been a Chevy/gm person my whole life and grew up in a family the same way. However I am so disappointed in my grand prix at the constant repairs with such low mileage. At 20,000 had the transmission pulled and repaired along with a wiring harness. Soon after the car had a very bad oil leak. Now at 57,000 the abs light is on water pump needs replacing. I have coolant running out and will cost me around $800 because the labor is long . GM decided to make you tear 1/2 the engine apart to do this job. I never thought I would drive anything but gm but I am going to do the thing that bothers me most, buy foreign.

Roxanne, my grand prix
By new guy on 05/12/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I picked up my grand prix at a dealership that came to my town. she's white, with a loverly tint and 18" chrome rims. Her first big test was when I got a dui because my dumb ass was flying down a dirt road. I sideswiped a sign, lost control, and flew through a barbed wire fence into a deep field of mud. It sounded like it was supercharged for a minute till i found out i had to replace the water pump. After doing so it runs smooth and is still sexy and sleek.

Excellent Car!
By Danny on 05/03/08 11:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

As soon as I drove away, I was blown away! For the small of the two engines, the 3100S definitely provides impressive power and response. Quick off a stop and maintains speed effortlessly. 4 speed is definitely the way to go with this car, which shifts quite smoothly I might add. Phenomenal highway car as well, especially when it makes 30+ mpg! Not bad around the city either, I average between 22-25 mpg. The engine sounds great when the car is winding out too, without losing gas needlessly. All in all it is a supremely well balanced car in terms of performance, style, efficiency, and overall intrigue of the vehicle. I got mine used with low miles & never been happier behind the wheel.

One of Best cars I have owned
By Jim P on 02/20/08 08:46 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Grand Prix GT I purchased off- lease in June, 2006, had 33000 miles at purchase. It now has 55000 trouble- free miles. I have replaced only the battery and a heater fan switch. The styling is still one of the best even after five years! Fuel economy is 17 mpg in stop-and-go city and 30 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. I still feel great about this car and, every time I think about something newer, I change my mind and stay with this car. Too bad GM is dropping this model after 2008.