2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
2002 grand prix with many issues
By Margaret Paoli on 05/30/08 05:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Car has been in the shop more than any car I have owned since purchased new. Window problems, loose dash, intake gaskets replaced several times, wheel bearing bad at 34,000 miles, catalytic converter replaced, heater has never worked and Gay Pontiac service center never fixed when reported 10+ times in there service shop for all other listed issues, leather seats coming apart, loose door panels (possibly from all the window repairs). This is my second grand prix and 8th and LAST GM vehicle as I will be getting a Toyota on my next purchase and don't even want to start on the customer service or lack of when calling what was GMACFS now India handles and Pontiac division customer service.

Too Many Poor Quality Parts
By Tom Shay on 05/08/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new as a leftover. Ran great until about 70,000 miles, then things started to go. Front wheel bearing failed and needed wheel replacement. Pitted brake disc. 2 Failed speed sensors. Failed AC compressor. Even the radio display failed so I can't see the time or station. Failed transmission solenoid is in such a difficult location, it takes 5 mechanic hours and more than $750 to replace.I've driven other brands over 150,000 miles without these failures.

How I luv'd my 40th Annv. Special Ed GTP
By Ronnie B on 05/07/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I remember having to call 12 car dealerships to find my car, my wife had first seen it on the Internet and told me I had to see this new special tribute to gm's Pontiac grand prix for 40 years of performance, we both fell in luv with it we had to have it. We had a 1999 gtp, and our lease was about up. So I went hunting after 2weeks of calling all over so. Cal I found a dealership that had one with all the options. I have had literally hundreds of compliments about it. The special edition package for the extra money is so worth it other than the loss of the (psm) performance shift mechanism, and the digital thermostat air/heat I luvd' the can, it performed excellent just like my 1999

Love my GP
By kness on 04/09/08 18:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car !! I have the 40th anniversary edition and have had zero problems with it. Very reliable, extremely fun to drive.

Awesome reliable car
By donnac on 02/07/08 18:26 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 2.5 years and put 45,000 miles on it with no problems (other than catalytic converter fixed under warranty). When I traded it in, it still had the original brakes with 75% pads left! I never even had to have an alignment! The only things I ever had to do to the car were oil, tires, and wiper blade changes. I did change the spark plugs at 50,000 miles, but only because I wanted to, it didn't need it. Totally amazing reliability for an American built car. Awesome looks, car ran great, I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Nice car
By jbjq on 01/19/08 19:55 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Grand Prix off eBay in 2004 after my 1999 Grand Prix was totaled. It had about 32,000 miles on it. All was well until 2007 when I spent $3500 in maintenance including $2300 for a new transmission. So maintenance is getting expensive. I have 68,000 miles on it now. But since I paid $11,000 for it I still feel like this vehicle is a good value.

A Big Mistake
By samstinks on 06/10/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I shopped and shopped before deciding to buy this car and despite our careful planning, we made a poor decision. At 20k, I had to have it towed due to a malfunctioning anti- theft device that cut the fuel after 10 seconds. That, at least was under warranty. At 25k, I had to replace my front wheel bearings; a $500 repair. At 56k, both my intake manifold gaskets blew out - $700. Six months later, my head gaskets are blown and the heads possibly damaged from the heat. I commute 25 miles one way to work in it every day, and have had only dealer repairs on it. I've taken care of this car by the book, but it is a horrible car and I can't wait to trade it in.

Great Car; Nice ride
By Brandee Benson on 01/08/07 06:43 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is an overall great vehicle to own. I have been happy with mine for the 4+ years that I have owned it. I bought it new and have taken good care with maintenance, etc. I get about 30 miles/gal. Things to look for: leak in through vent under the hood by windshield. The gasket just needs to be placed better (cost $25 to fix). It needed new computer part for the heater mechanism at about 40000 miles. Needed to replace wiper motor at about 50000 miles, needed new ABS sensors around 70000 miles. Other than that it has been regular maintenance. If you are looking for a good looking car, good gas mileage, great get-up-and-go, and some roomy interior, this car is for you!

Good looks and comfort - Bad Tranny
By hamlir on 11/06/06 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The car looks great and feels great to sit in. It was well made for comfort. The Tranny totally blew up with 129k on it. Reg service was done and even serviced the tranny at 50k & 100k. The think is nothing more than yard art since it wont move.

Lovable sports car
By G WILSON on 10/29/06 15:05 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My Pontiac is full load.Love my leather heated seats speedometer on wind shield, onstar protection,the body is just hot, more power than i can handle