2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Looks Better Than It Runs
By The Fastest lemon on 01/03/09 15:58 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan for three and a half years. My Dad handed it down to me after he lost use of his right leg to cancer and I hit a deer with my '93 S-10. For the first three years I've had it, it gave me no problems and I like the way it looks, especially in black, sleek and sinister, the fog lamps, spoilers, and dual exhausts don't hurt either. It was pretty fast and fuel efficient, but it turned into a piece of crap once it had 115,000 miles on it. The windshield wipers stick up when they're turned off, the tail-break lights don't work, you could time it's acceleration to highway speed with a calendar, the windows don't work, and it guzzles gas like a V8.

Love it
By Ryan on 11/10/08 08:58 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for almost a year now. Only problem I've had with it is the manifold gasket, other than that it is an excellent daily driver very reasonable on gas yet still has enough power to have a little fun. I love the simplicity of the interior design (I have the charcoal gray int.)

Great MPG and Performance
By FuelMiser on 10/20/08 00:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

When I see ads for a 4 cylinder Hondas that gets 30 mpg highway, I have to laugh as I'm having so much more fun in my GTP. This car is not only a sleeper, it gets gas mileage in the range of Japanese cars but it has 280 pounds of torque to play with. True, the interior plastic parts could have been better, but the mechanical failures of my brother's Accord make me glad I bought a Pontiac. The GTP is well-known for long-term reliability and most of the negative posts you see here are not representative of the total population. I had a GM 3.8 liter with 250,000 miles and not a single mechanical issue. Don't doubt Pontiac's build quality or engineering, these cars are a steal @ <$10K!

Very good car
By Rob9512 on 09/11/08 16:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Overall this car is just great. Car has great performance for this type of car, very good gas mileage for the hp, and has plenty of room. The cars do have some common problems like leaking intake gaskets, failing window switches, and blower motor resistor failures but it's just general repairs. The drivetrain is overall extremely reliable and it is very common for these to hit 200k+ miles. The overall performance, style, gas mileage, features, reliability, and practicality make its pros far out weigh its cons. People who post on here about reliability issues with the motors in these cars are insane. Most of what people list are general maintenance. The 3800 is a very proven motor

Bad car
By bigdogdriver on 08/25/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car for daughter, worst mistake ever. Only 92,000 miles on it and I have replaced the air cond. Unit, alternator and right side head gasket. This car will nickel and dime you to death.

Please don't buy one
By Redeye on 08/09/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I'd never heard of Pontiac. My wife had a grand am - kept blowing head gaskets My son has a grand prix, same thing plus a loud knock, engine replaced Hard to keep pontiacs running. Company probably won't be running much longer.

Still love this car
By chris on 07/25/08 23:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have owned this car for 6 years now. It's still a great ride. Have had some minor issues. Fan switch for A/C & heat broke. Had to install new resistor $200. Windshield fluid motor burned out. Another $200. Brakes were garbage at 35k. Besides that, just the basics. It's a great car. Need to get an SUV for my family. I own 3 cars, but this is the last 1 I'd trade in. It has lots of power, when you need it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come.

2002 grand prix with many issues
By Margaret Paoli on 05/30/08 05:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Car has been in the shop more than any car I have owned since purchased new. Window problems, loose dash, intake gaskets replaced several times, wheel bearing bad at 34,000 miles, catalytic converter replaced, heater has never worked and Gay Pontiac service center never fixed when reported 10+ times in there service shop for all other listed issues, leather seats coming apart, loose door panels (possibly from all the window repairs). This is my second grand prix and 8th and LAST GM vehicle as I will be getting a Toyota on my next purchase and don't even want to start on the customer service or lack of when calling what was GMACFS now India handles and Pontiac division customer service.

Too Many Poor Quality Parts
By Tom Shay on 05/08/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new as a leftover. Ran great until about 70,000 miles, then things started to go. Front wheel bearing failed and needed wheel replacement. Pitted brake disc. 2 Failed speed sensors. Failed AC compressor. Even the radio display failed so I can't see the time or station. Failed transmission solenoid is in such a difficult location, it takes 5 mechanic hours and more than $750 to replace.I've driven other brands over 150,000 miles without these failures.

How I luv'd my 40th Annv. Special Ed GTP
By Ronnie B on 05/07/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I remember having to call 12 car dealerships to find my car, my wife had first seen it on the Internet and told me I had to see this new special tribute to gm's Pontiac grand prix for 40 years of performance, we both fell in luv with it we had to have it. We had a 1999 gtp, and our lease was about up. So I went hunting after 2weeks of calling all over so. Cal I found a dealership that had one with all the options. I have had literally hundreds of compliments about it. The special edition package for the extra money is so worth it other than the loss of the (psm) performance shift mechanism, and the digital thermostat air/heat I luvd' the can, it performed excellent just like my 1999