2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Ex GM customer
By Done with Pontiac on 04/03/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I will never purchase a gm product again. I bought this car new, paid 25k for it and have nothing but problems as soon as the warranty was up. I had the catalytic converter replaced twice, passanger window work only sometines, windshield wipers stop working in down pours. Also replaced numerous sensors adding up to at least $1500 Had the intake manifold gasket replaced $500 with a class action suite only got $100 back. Now I have to replace the oil pan gasket,it will cost $350. Not to mention the gas milage is nothing close to what they said it would be. I was told the transmission will be next. I can not afford a new car now, but as soon as I can this car will be history.

Disappointed Lemon
By Roger V on 03/10/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was very excited when I bougth this car used. I got the exted=nded warranty on it thank God. Every 6 months a mojor repair. Head gasket, transmission selenoid, intake gaskets, brakes etc. I used to love this car but each year it gets worse and worse.

Not Made to Last
By Grand Prix GT on 03/06/09 10:14 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which was the third pontiac that I purchased since 1998. The 2002 Grand Prix was a trade in. The Lower Intake Gasket went out on it at 15000. It went out again at 30000 and again at 115000. The car brakes tend to wear prematurely averaging 30K on brakes and rotors. The AC/Heat Knobs tend to break prematurely. The tires goodyear 225/60R16 last about 30K per set. I've had to replace speed sensors, the fuel line rail, the rear suspension, and wheel nut caps that crack easily upon removal.

Great Ride!
By Two Face on 01/08/09 18:18 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I bought it as a program car, and I have loved it ever since. I have only had one problem that was covered by the warranty. I bought it at 17K miles and I now have 107K and it still has the same get-up-and-go. It has plenty of room for me and my family, and good trunk space. This is as about as good as you can get for your money.

Looks Better Than It Runs
By The Fastest lemon on 01/03/09 15:58 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan for three and a half years. My Dad handed it down to me after he lost use of his right leg to cancer and I hit a deer with my '93 S-10. For the first three years I've had it, it gave me no problems and I like the way it looks, especially in black, sleek and sinister, the fog lamps, spoilers, and dual exhausts don't hurt either. It was pretty fast and fuel efficient, but it turned into a piece of crap once it had 115,000 miles on it. The windshield wipers stick up when they're turned off, the tail-break lights don't work, you could time it's acceleration to highway speed with a calendar, the windows don't work, and it guzzles gas like a V8.

Love it
By Ryan on 11/10/08 08:58 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for almost a year now. Only problem I've had with it is the manifold gasket, other than that it is an excellent daily driver very reasonable on gas yet still has enough power to have a little fun. I love the simplicity of the interior design (I have the charcoal gray int.)

Great MPG and Performance
By FuelMiser on 10/20/08 00:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

When I see ads for a 4 cylinder Hondas that gets 30 mpg highway, I have to laugh as I'm having so much more fun in my GTP. This car is not only a sleeper, it gets gas mileage in the range of Japanese cars but it has 280 pounds of torque to play with. True, the interior plastic parts could have been better, but the mechanical failures of my brother's Accord make me glad I bought a Pontiac. The GTP is well-known for long-term reliability and most of the negative posts you see here are not representative of the total population. I had a GM 3.8 liter with 250,000 miles and not a single mechanical issue. Don't doubt Pontiac's build quality or engineering, these cars are a steal @ <$10K!

Bad car
By bigdogdriver on 08/25/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car for daughter, worst mistake ever. Only 92,000 miles on it and I have replaced the air cond. Unit, alternator and right side head gasket. This car will nickel and dime you to death.

Please don't buy one
By Redeye on 08/09/08 23:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I'd never heard of Pontiac. My wife had a grand am - kept blowing head gaskets My son has a grand prix, same thing plus a loud knock, engine replaced Hard to keep pontiacs running. Company probably won't be running much longer.

Still love this car
By chris on 07/25/08 23:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have owned this car for 6 years now. It's still a great ride. Have had some minor issues. Fan switch for A/C & heat broke. Had to install new resistor $200. Windshield fluid motor burned out. Another $200. Brakes were garbage at 35k. Besides that, just the basics. It's a great car. Need to get an SUV for my family. I own 3 cars, but this is the last 1 I'd trade in. It has lots of power, when you need it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come.