2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GOOD JOB GM
By GOOD GM PRODUCT on 01/21/10 12:52 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned this car for 2 1/2 years now and has been trouble free other than the intake gaskets. Great looks for an old car and the acceleration for a 6 cylinder is great. Fun to drive. For a inexpensive GM product I give it a very good overall rating.

Best new car I've owned in over 50 years
By mike angelo on 09/24/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I get over 30 mpg on highway 24 in city. Hot foot wife does much worse. Outside of battery, brakes tires, and oil changes, have had NO repairs in first 140,000 miles. Needed to replace oil pan gasket but delayed it until now. Oil is still cheaper than the repair. Suddenly the motor mount went bad. (Supercharged models use one less mount) which caused front axle boot to go. While it was apart replaced water pump which was still OK. Wife loves the car, I'm a van person so I feel cramped in it but it is fun to drive and the boost is great when needed. Tried using premium fuel but saw no gain in hp or mpg so have used regular since then with no problem.

Great Car
By Love Pontiac on 09/13/09 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Had the car a few months now, and I've loved every minute of it. Great engine and powertrain, I've had no problems from it (almost at 100,000 miles). Handling is good, so are the brakes. I average about 20 mpg, and can go 2 weeks on one tank! Very fast (especially for a v6) will beat any v6 and many v8 muscle cars you run into. The interior is a little cheap, but love the boost gauge, hud, and the seats. Oh, and did I say its fast! Overall a great car!

2 Years of love so far
By Scott on 08/19/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car was bought in 2007 with 60k on it and never a problem other than a waterpump. The engine is strong as a horse for only 6 cylinders thanks to the supercharger. Highly recommend this vehicle to others.

Ex GM customer
By Done with Pontiac on 04/03/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I will never purchase a gm product again. I bought this car new, paid 25k for it and have nothing but problems as soon as the warranty was up. I had the catalytic converter replaced twice, passanger window work only sometines, windshield wipers stop working in down pours. Also replaced numerous sensors adding up to at least $1500 Had the intake manifold gasket replaced $500 with a class action suite only got $100 back. Now I have to replace the oil pan gasket,it will cost $350. Not to mention the gas milage is nothing close to what they said it would be. I was told the transmission will be next. I can not afford a new car now, but as soon as I can this car will be history.

Disappointed Lemon
By Roger V on 03/10/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was very excited when I bougth this car used. I got the exted=nded warranty on it thank God. Every 6 months a mojor repair. Head gasket, transmission selenoid, intake gaskets, brakes etc. I used to love this car but each year it gets worse and worse.

Not Made to Last
By Grand Prix GT on 03/06/09 10:14 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which was the third pontiac that I purchased since 1998. The 2002 Grand Prix was a trade in. The Lower Intake Gasket went out on it at 15000. It went out again at 30000 and again at 115000. The car brakes tend to wear prematurely averaging 30K on brakes and rotors. The AC/Heat Knobs tend to break prematurely. The tires goodyear 225/60R16 last about 30K per set. I've had to replace speed sensors, the fuel line rail, the rear suspension, and wheel nut caps that crack easily upon removal.

Great Ride!
By Two Face on 01/08/09 18:18 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I bought it as a program car, and I have loved it ever since. I have only had one problem that was covered by the warranty. I bought it at 17K miles and I now have 107K and it still has the same get-up-and-go. It has plenty of room for me and my family, and good trunk space. This is as about as good as you can get for your money.

Looks Better Than It Runs
By The Fastest lemon on 01/03/09 15:58 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan for three and a half years. My Dad handed it down to me after he lost use of his right leg to cancer and I hit a deer with my '93 S-10. For the first three years I've had it, it gave me no problems and I like the way it looks, especially in black, sleek and sinister, the fog lamps, spoilers, and dual exhausts don't hurt either. It was pretty fast and fuel efficient, but it turned into a piece of crap once it had 115,000 miles on it. The windshield wipers stick up when they're turned off, the tail-break lights don't work, you could time it's acceleration to highway speed with a calendar, the windows don't work, and it guzzles gas like a V8.

Love it
By Ryan on 11/10/08 08:58 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for almost a year now. Only problem I've had with it is the manifold gasket, other than that it is an excellent daily driver very reasonable on gas yet still has enough power to have a little fun. I love the simplicity of the interior design (I have the charcoal gray int.)