2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

2002 Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Sort Reviews by

Pontiac: two words you lose
By GTtoGTO

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

when i first bought my GP it had 106K on it and now currently has 184K the performance even with the N/A 3.8 is very adequate and can only be better from the aftermarket. I've had a few issues over the last 4 years with it needed a new sway bar, steering rack, shocks, head gasket, intake gaskets. I've had many vehicles with far less miles on them and far more problems. Even after it all the car was worth fixing the amount of fun the car offers far out weights the cost(did the repairs myself cost about $1200). I live in central new york and the car has no rust Amazing! it has hooked me on Pontiacs forever hopefully the car will last that long because Pontiac no longer exists if you can buy 1

Favorite Features

seat heaters great on your back after a long days work. handling and acceleration to make the thought of a long day fade away. massive interior space great for road trips.

Suggested Improvements

why they never made a manual I'll never know. can't think of anything. why aren't you people buying these cars, they're great.

Great Car!
By BrittaniMcD

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when my daughter was about 4 months for the extra space, a 2dr Civic just wasn't working out anymore! So far it has been a great car, it has about 176,000 miles on it but runs like it's new! I would highly recommend this car, especially to new moms switching from a small car to a bigger one but still wanting something 'sporty'!

Favorite Features

Backseat and trunk space, Super comfy seats, Handling, Dual Climate Control.

Suggested Improvements

Interior switches/knobs

It has been good to me
By Amy

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my grand prix in 2002. The previous owner only had it for a 6 months and couldn't keep up with the payments so she turned it back in to the dealer. I bought it with close to 15,000 miles on it (I have no idea where this woman drove it to). Anyways, I'm now at 194,000 miles. It was great up until two years ago when the transmission died on it. I was very meticulous with repairs on my vehicle, which were all normal wear and tear. Since the transmission, it's had other major problems that have been costly. Great car, but I am trading it now for a more reliable vehicle for my family. Overall it's been good to me.

Favorite Features

I'm the type of person, I want the car to move when I step on the gas. No putting around and this car left many other cars still sitting like they were parked! It was also very comfortable during long trips and the original radio/CD player/speakers after all these years still works great.

Suggested Improvements

The body of the car. Unfortunately it rusted by the rear door which is where water seem to stay or splash up against during driving. The design there could have been better.

Great Car
By silver bullet

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car from my sister-in- law who purchased it new! I have owned it for about 3 yrs and have great luck with it. I just replaced the original battery (8 1/2 yrs old) not bad. i have had trouble with the psgr window but everything can't be perfect all the time, heck they can't even get my pizza order right 1/2 the time :) just relocated, drove the car 550 miles averaged 34.9 miles on hwy and get 23-24 around town. Currently have 75K and looking forward to another 75K!

Favorite Features

heads up display and get up and go

Suggested Improvements

location of cup holders and needs another car charger in back seat area

A Great Car For The Young People
By Young Gun

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this car this past February with it having just 70,000 miles on it, did wanted a G6 GT Sedan(Plans fell through) but found this car for a steal, I was worried at first because I was giving up room because it was a mid-size car(car before this one was a 1993 Bonneville SE), but it was still pretty roomy, seats 5, 4 comfortably, and even dough the car is 8 and the design is 13 years old(1997), I still prefer it over the 2004-2008 model, gets good gas mileage for a big 3.8 V6, great for the highway and town, nice interior, just an overall nice ride, the only maintenance I have done so far is new brakes, oil change, support lifts for trunk, and cleaner for catalytic converter.

Favorite Features

My car has the Trip Computer(Digital DIC) and On-star, the computer tells your MPG, range you have left on your tank of gas, fuel used, and how much life your oil has left, and I would like the On-star feature too if they didn't discontinued it for this car and other early model vehicles with it.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats with cloth interior could have been more comfortable, and an better catalytic converter(lots of problems with them clogging up and failing with this particular car and engine).

WORST CAR!!!
By unhappy

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car in 2009. It only had 63000 miles on it. I thought it would be good for a 2002 model vehicle. The interior has cheap plastic. I only got to put 8000 miles on it when there were too many problems to list in order to fix this chunk of metal GM called a car. It did run fairly well. But I was unsure how reliable it would have been on longer trips other than around town. I will NEVER buy another pontiac vehicle.

Favorite Features

The K and N air filter I purchased and put in the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Trade it for something else.

Great Experience
By Happy Owner

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my car new. It has 147K and I have maintained the oil and usual check up points. The major repair to gasket to oil and then coolant gasket - but only at approx 90K. The rest were all maintain, brakes. Once paid off annual repair bills are around $500. My husband drives a 2001 BMW with 80K - repairs and up keep to his car cost us $7400 last year. Plus he had to replace his AC at 50K for $1500. I have not put anything near that into my GMC. I will keep this car until it doesn't go or significant repair cost hits me.

Favorite Features

Rides smooth, plenty of power, comfortable, good gas mileage, dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter because they don't build them anymore.

Good for me!
By Very Happy!!

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my car now for 5 years and I bought it with 60,000 miles on it. This is a very good running car and is great for the family. My car now has 196,000 miles on it and runs better than the day I bought it! For those who care the gas mileage is great as well as comfort and performance! I use castrol GTX high mileage and have since purchase. I think this may help with how well it still runs.But other than that the only thing that i have had a problem with is my back speakers, they only work when the car sits in the sun at about 80 degrees outside!!

Favorite Features

Everything accept the rear speakers.

Suggested Improvements

The rear speakers.

GOOD JOB GM
By GOOD GM PRODUCT

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned this car for 2 1/2 years now and has been trouble free other than the intake gaskets. Great looks for an old car and the acceleration for a 6 cylinder is great. Fun to drive. For a inexpensive GM product I give it a very good overall rating.

Favorite Features

Overall look, acceleration and good handling for a mid-sized car.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Dexcool coolant or improve the material in the gaskets.

Best new car I've owned in over 50 years
By mike angelo

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I get over 30 mpg on highway 24 in city. Hot foot wife does much worse. Outside of battery, brakes tires, and oil changes, have had NO repairs in first 140,000 miles. Needed to replace oil pan gasket but delayed it until now. Oil is still cheaper than the repair. Suddenly the motor mount went bad. (Supercharged models use one less mount) which caused front axle boot to go. While it was apart replaced water pump which was still OK. Wife loves the car, I'm a van person so I feel cramped in it but it is fun to drive and the boost is great when needed. Tried using premium fuel but saw no gain in hp or mpg so have used regular since then with no problem.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, paint job, leather upholstery, handlng, accessories

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holders, stronger lower right motor mount, warp proof splash deflectors in wheel wells, better insulation against road noise