Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Great Mpg's, a lot of leg room and powerful!
By k_relyt

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car for 80,000+ miles and I know what I am talking about when I say this is a great car! I bought the car with 70,000 and now its at 150+ and I have only had to replace minor bits and pieces that come along with driving a car that much. Brake pads, wheel bearings and a battery once. You don't have to buy a 4 cylinder civic to get good milage. This can get 33 tops on hwy and 21 in the city. I avg. 28 driving through mnt. ranges on cruise. For a 2dr the back seat is spacious for leg room and comfy. I can fit my snowboards and wakeboard in my trunk no problem as well as move all my belongings in the thing. It's sharp with the 17" chrome rims and can give you amazing v6power.

Favorite Features

I love the OnStar capabilities, sun roof, large large trunk, temperature reading as well as direction of travel on the rear-view mirror. It has all the digital readings too which is nice. It shows miles left on gas in the tank, mpgs, oil life and shows you a small car on screen to let you know if the trunk or doors are open.

Suggested Improvements

For the price that these go for, no improvements. You get way more than what you pay for and it's surprisingly great for a gm. Most gm's are horrible!

Great machine for an older car
By jazbo01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car to drive to work, at first i felt i paid too much but after putting 20k on it and having NO issues.. and no rust, it was a great deal! Good fuel economy, good power-no fears when passing. Big, heavy, solid car..the way I like em! Has 140K on it and it runs, and drives like new, rides great and with snow tires will go where my truck will! Very glad I bought a Grand Prix, would do it all over again! you cant beat the 3.8 for power and reliability. if you are considering buying an inexpendsive used car definately look at a grand prix you wont regret it!

Favorite Features

Roomy, good power, very stabile car EXCELLENT reliability! easily a 250K mile engine! IF you need em parts are cheap!

Suggested Improvements

Im a gearhead, always want more power..shoulda got the GTP! I really have no improvements! Wish they still made them!

First Car
By jdaily01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2002 pontiac grand prix se for my first car only 6months ago. When I got it, it had 122000miles on it, which though high isn't too high. Since buying this car, I've had 3 windows crap out on me, only fixing the driver side one. It cost about $350 at a dealership to get the window fixed, luckily I found a local mechanic to do it for a lot cheaper. Though now the ignition won't recognize the car as being in park, therefore not releasing the key. Problems just keep adding up, I am able to bypass the the ignition to release the key but I cannot recommend this car. There are multiple reviews online showing that I am not alone, pontiac uses cheap parts making problems more probable.

Favorite Features

Appearance and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality materials when building the car.

Got my money's worth...
By gportoulas

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 02 grand prix back in 2005 and it had 50k on it already. I made it to 164k miles with no major problems until now. The biggest thing I needed work on was a catalytic converter. I had minor leaking of antifreeze and I found out it was due to the plastic intake mannifold. I guess GM cheaped out when they used plastic and that part cracks easy. MY antifreeze leaks more now and the heating panel is shot. Like I said, I put an extra 114k miles on it over 6.5 years. It did me well.

Favorite Features

Realible. Good for long rides.

Suggested Improvements

Use aluminum instead of plastic for the gaskets/intake mannifold.

Best thing since sliced bread
By blaze5222

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my wife a 02 grand prix gt.... and it rocks.... sure since it is used and has about 65000 miles on it.... there are a few minor issues... but for a used car, I never would have thought I would feel safe sending my wife the 150 miles to the beach without me..

Favorite Features

I love the power of this car!