Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Great car, very reliable
By deabomb

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE that I bought in February 2003 with 24000 miles on it. Almost 12 years later with just under 110,000 miles on it, she is still going strong. The only major problem I had with it in 2008 was the known issue of the intake manifold gasket leaking and blowing coolant out. It cost me $700 to fix the damage. Other than that snafu, it hasn't given me any trouble. I love this car. Hubby wants me to trade it in for something newer with more bells and whistles, but I can't part with it. It has been a solid, reliable car for me and I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

My favorite features on this car is the enormous trunk and large interior.

I am not a fan of the cheesy car diagram on the dash, but I have gotten over it in the past 12 years!

200k and going strong
By jazbo01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review a few years ago..my GP now was 200,000 on it, no visible rust we have owned it for the past 100,000 miles and the only work done to it has been maintenance NO issues-ever starts and runs whether its 100* or -40*. I drove this car back and forth for training 800 miles a week in -20 to -40 degree winter and the car avg 28.3mpg over the 6 week time frame..unreal! I have no plans on selling this car until it rots out and then ill buy another one. Great car!

Reliability and easy to maintain.

GM should still be building them.

Gas mileage
By tbrenz93

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own a 2002 grand prix with 161,100 miles on it and for some reason it goes through $15 of gas in a few miles. I wouldnt recommend driving it to 160,000 miles, its a junker now.

Power, Exterior

Better Mileage

Great machine for an older car
By jazbo01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car to drive to work, at first i felt i paid too much but after putting 20k on it and having NO issues.. and no rust, it was a great deal! Good fuel economy, good power-no fears when passing. Big, heavy, solid car..the way I like em! Has 140K on it and it runs, and drives like new, rides great and with snow tires will go where my truck will! Very glad I bought a Grand Prix, would do it all over again! you cant beat the 3.8 for power and reliability. if you are considering buying an inexpendsive used car definately look at a grand prix you wont regret it!

Roomy, good power, very stabile car EXCELLENT reliability! easily a 250K mile engine! IF you need em parts are cheap!

Im a gearhead, always want more power..shoulda got the GTP! I really have no improvements! Wish they still made them!

First Car
By jdaily01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2002 pontiac grand prix se for my first car only 6months ago. When I got it, it had 122000miles on it, which though high isn't too high. Since buying this car, I've had 3 windows crap out on me, only fixing the driver side one. It cost about $350 at a dealership to get the window fixed, luckily I found a local mechanic to do it for a lot cheaper. Though now the ignition won't recognize the car as being in park, therefore not releasing the key. Problems just keep adding up, I am able to bypass the the ignition to release the key but I cannot recommend this car. There are multiple reviews online showing that I am not alone, pontiac uses cheap parts making problems more probable.

Appearance and gas mileage.

Better quality materials when building the car.