Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
By sendog2013

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was pretty lucky when my fiancée discovered my car on Kijiji! A private dealer had gotten my ride from a dealership where it has been traded in for a new car. The last owners basically used the car to drive to the store and church when it wasn't garaged most of its life! With only 114,000 kms and mint inside and very good outside it was pretty much brand new! Anyway, on to my review! A blast to drive, fast and handles awesome! I use it mostly for the highway as I'm traveling between provinces for work and moving. Glides perfectly at high speeds and before you know it you're doing 140 without watching your speed.

Favorite Features

The heads up display is awesome and the vehicle diagnostic center is very helpful tracking your mileage, mpgs, oil change intervals and fuel used/remaining! The Bose stereo system rocks but no inputs :-( Working on getting an aftermarket stereo or expensive changer input toplug in an mp3 input or iPod. The interior is perfect! I'm a big guy and I have more than enough space! All the gages and switches are easily accessible and visible... lots of cargo space, and passengers are comfortable. Really thinking about going to a 2009 G6 ... when I retire this car! I've rolled with Chevy and Volkswagen the last 10 years and now I'm getting into Pontiac... very solid vehicles and the V6 is solid!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can see! Brakes solid, handles very well and the 200hp is nice in the city and passing on the highway!

Great Mpg's, a lot of leg room and powerful!
By k_relyt

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car for 80,000+ miles and I know what I am talking about when I say this is a great car! I bought the car with 70,000 and now its at 150+ and I have only had to replace minor bits and pieces that come along with driving a car that much. Brake pads, wheel bearings and a battery once. You don't have to buy a 4 cylinder civic to get good milage. This can get 33 tops on hwy and 21 in the city. I avg. 28 driving through mnt. ranges on cruise. For a 2dr the back seat is spacious for leg room and comfy. I can fit my snowboards and wakeboard in my trunk no problem as well as move all my belongings in the thing. It's sharp with the 17" chrome rims and can give you amazing v6power.

Favorite Features

I love the OnStar capabilities, sun roof, large large trunk, temperature reading as well as direction of travel on the rear-view mirror. It has all the digital readings too which is nice. It shows miles left on gas in the tank, mpgs, oil life and shows you a small car on screen to let you know if the trunk or doors are open.

Suggested Improvements

For the price that these go for, no improvements. You get way more than what you pay for and it's surprisingly great for a gm. Most gm's are horrible!

Awsome Car
By capinshane25

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 18th birthday. It has the looks of a speedster and the engine of one too. Never had anything wrong with it at 150,000 miles. If your a tuner this is the car for you I put flowmaster pipes and two turbochargers on it along with racing tires and 93 gas. it had way enough power before (205 hp)but now it will roll with any mustang or challenger on the road I had it dynoed at 481 hp All in all GREAT CAR good work GM. I hope the Pontiac name plate returns in the future.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

standard transmission.

Great Car
By Love Pontiac

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Had the car a few months now, and I've loved every minute of it. Great engine and powertrain, I've had no problems from it (almost at 100,000 miles). Handling is good, so are the brakes. I average about 20 mpg, and can go 2 weeks on one tank! Very fast (especially for a v6) will beat any v6 and many v8 muscle cars you run into. The interior is a little cheap, but love the boost gauge, hud, and the seats. Oh, and did I say its fast! Overall a great car!

Favorite Features

Engine, HUD, Seats, Ride, and MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior. You should add bolt ons like a cold air intake, performance chip, headers, and new exhaust to improve HP and MPG.

Very good car
By Rob9512

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Overall this car is just great. Car has great performance for this type of car, very good gas mileage for the hp, and has plenty of room. The cars do have some common problems like leaking intake gaskets, failing window switches, and blower motor resistor failures but it's just general repairs. The drivetrain is overall extremely reliable and it is very common for these to hit 200k+ miles. The overall performance, style, gas mileage, features, reliability, and practicality make its pros far out weigh its cons. People who post on here about reliability issues with the motors in these cars are insane. Most of what people list are general maintenance. The 3800 is a very proven motor

Favorite Features

Heads up display, heated leather, driver information center, dual climate control, usable space, sunroof, and best of all the performance of the 240hp supercharged engine.

Suggested Improvements

They no longer make them so it's pointless, but the intake gasket premature failure for sure, better window motors. Rear wheel drive would be nice, but i guess that's why they introduced the G8.