2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Got my money's worth...
By gportoulas on 10/21/11 15:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 02 grand prix back in 2005 and it had 50k on it already. I made it to 164k miles with no major problems until now. The biggest thing I needed work on was a catalytic converter. I had minor leaking of antifreeze and I found out it was due to the plastic intake mannifold. I guess GM cheaped out when they used plastic and that part cracks easy. MY antifreeze leaks more now and the heating panel is shot. Like I said, I put an extra 114k miles on it over 6.5 years. It did me well.

We've had ours for 8 years now..
By oldies4me on 04/14/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Still low miles, but we can really Haul in it- we should have a SUV!- I mean 25 gal water, a cooler, tools, clothes, bedding, two dog kennels (in back seat of course!) and other stuff for going to our lakelot half the summer.. We had experience with the 3.1 v6 in a Corsica which went well over 100000 miles,; this one has about 80000 so far (retired; don't drive a lot anymore).. The nice surprise was fuel economy- 37 on a trip going 65-75 mph most of the way. Solid, great handling, loves to cruise at 70+.. Trouble? None- just did brakes first time. If I could find a cherry GTP coupe I'd keep it as a collectible!

600 miles to a full tank of gas
By dcharger on 03/24/11 16:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

love the car, got 209,000 miles on it now,,car was great on gas, but now have trans problem, and some motor problem, but after running it and dumping money in it, i still like it,, but like everything, it dont last forever, smooth ride, never cared for GMs, but this was the only good car i think they made, well thats that

It has been good to me
By Amy on 07/01/10 13:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my grand prix in 2002. The previous owner only had it for a 6 months and couldn't keep up with the payments so she turned it back in to the dealer. I bought it with close to 15,000 miles on it (I have no idea where this woman drove it to). Anyways, I'm now at 194,000 miles. It was great up until two years ago when the transmission died on it. I was very meticulous with repairs on my vehicle, which were all normal wear and tear. Since the transmission, it's had other major problems that have been costly. Great car, but I am trading it now for a more reliable vehicle for my family. Overall it's been good to me.

Great Ride!
By Two Face on 01/08/09 18:18 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I bought it as a program car, and I have loved it ever since. I have only had one problem that was covered by the warranty. I bought it at 17K miles and I now have 107K and it still has the same get-up-and-go. It has plenty of room for me and my family, and good trunk space. This is as about as good as you can get for your money.

Love it
By Ryan on 11/10/08 08:58 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for almost a year now. Only problem I've had with it is the manifold gasket, other than that it is an excellent daily driver very reasonable on gas yet still has enough power to have a little fun. I love the simplicity of the interior design (I have the charcoal gray int.)

Bad car
By bigdogdriver on 08/25/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car for daughter, worst mistake ever. Only 92,000 miles on it and I have replaced the air cond. Unit, alternator and right side head gasket. This car will nickel and dime you to death.

A Big Mistake
By samstinks on 06/10/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I shopped and shopped before deciding to buy this car and despite our careful planning, we made a poor decision. At 20k, I had to have it towed due to a malfunctioning anti- theft device that cut the fuel after 10 seconds. That, at least was under warranty. At 25k, I had to replace my front wheel bearings; a $500 repair. At 56k, both my intake manifold gaskets blew out - $700. Six months later, my head gaskets are blown and the heads possibly damaged from the heat. I commute 25 miles one way to work in it every day, and have had only dealer repairs on it. I've taken care of this car by the book, but it is a horrible car and I can't wait to trade it in.

Great Car; Nice ride
By Brandee Benson on 01/08/07 06:43 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is an overall great vehicle to own. I have been happy with mine for the 4+ years that I have owned it. I bought it new and have taken good care with maintenance, etc. I get about 30 miles/gal. Things to look for: leak in through vent under the hood by windshield. The gasket just needs to be placed better (cost $25 to fix). It needed new computer part for the heater mechanism at about 40000 miles. Needed to replace wiper motor at about 50000 miles, needed new ABS sensors around 70000 miles. Other than that it has been regular maintenance. If you are looking for a good looking car, good gas mileage, great get-up-and-go, and some roomy interior, this car is for you!

Good looks and comfort - Bad Tranny
By hamlir on 11/06/06 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The car looks great and feels great to sit in. It was well made for comfort. The Tranny totally blew up with 129k on it. Reg service was done and even serviced the tranny at 50k & 100k. The think is nothing more than yard art since it wont move.