2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Great Car
By GPGTP on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My GTP is awesome. I love the supercharger and the mileage. I get 24 mpg combined. Would recommend to anyone.

GOOD JOB GM
By GOOD GM PRODUCT on 01/21/10 12:52 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned this car for 2 1/2 years now and has been trouble free other than the intake gaskets. Great looks for an old car and the acceleration for a 6 cylinder is great. Fun to drive. For a inexpensive GM product I give it a very good overall rating.

Best new car I've owned in over 50 years
By mike angelo on 09/24/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I get over 30 mpg on highway 24 in city. Hot foot wife does much worse. Outside of battery, brakes tires, and oil changes, have had NO repairs in first 140,000 miles. Needed to replace oil pan gasket but delayed it until now. Oil is still cheaper than the repair. Suddenly the motor mount went bad. (Supercharged models use one less mount) which caused front axle boot to go. While it was apart replaced water pump which was still OK. Wife loves the car, I'm a van person so I feel cramped in it but it is fun to drive and the boost is great when needed. Tried using premium fuel but saw no gain in hp or mpg so have used regular since then with no problem.

2 Years of love so far
By Scott on 08/19/09 15:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car was bought in 2007 with 60k on it and never a problem other than a waterpump. The engine is strong as a horse for only 6 cylinders thanks to the supercharger. Highly recommend this vehicle to others.

Great MPG and Performance
By FuelMiser on 10/20/08 00:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

When I see ads for a 4 cylinder Hondas that gets 30 mpg highway, I have to laugh as I'm having so much more fun in my GTP. This car is not only a sleeper, it gets gas mileage in the range of Japanese cars but it has 280 pounds of torque to play with. True, the interior plastic parts could have been better, but the mechanical failures of my brother's Accord make me glad I bought a Pontiac. The GTP is well-known for long-term reliability and most of the negative posts you see here are not representative of the total population. I had a GM 3.8 liter with 250,000 miles and not a single mechanical issue. Don't doubt Pontiac's build quality or engineering, these cars are a steal @ <$10K!

Still love this car
By chris on 07/25/08 23:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have owned this car for 6 years now. It's still a great ride. Have had some minor issues. Fan switch for A/C & heat broke. Had to install new resistor $200. Windshield fluid motor burned out. Another $200. Brakes were garbage at 35k. Besides that, just the basics. It's a great car. Need to get an SUV for my family. I own 3 cars, but this is the last 1 I'd trade in. It has lots of power, when you need it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come.

How I luv'd my 40th Annv. Special Ed GTP
By Ronnie B on 05/07/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I remember having to call 12 car dealerships to find my car, my wife had first seen it on the Internet and told me I had to see this new special tribute to gm's Pontiac grand prix for 40 years of performance, we both fell in luv with it we had to have it. We had a 1999 gtp, and our lease was about up. So I went hunting after 2weeks of calling all over so. Cal I found a dealership that had one with all the options. I have had literally hundreds of compliments about it. The special edition package for the extra money is so worth it other than the loss of the (psm) performance shift mechanism, and the digital thermostat air/heat I luvd' the can, it performed excellent just like my 1999

Lovable sports car
By G WILSON on 10/29/06 15:05 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My Pontiac is full load.Love my leather heated seats speedometer on wind shield, onstar protection,the body is just hot, more power than i can handle

Very fun car
By Tim Olson on 09/16/05 17:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car is very fun to drive and gets a lot of attention with the right aftermarket accessories. I wish that they kept the same body style through current years though.

Fun Ride
By CCrain on 07/25/05 11:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The first year I owned this car it was used as a daily driver. Now I have a company take-home so my GTP sits in the garage. The few times that I do drive this car are a blast. Car has good pick-up and is able to merge with no problems at all. The trouble I have had from ths car is both head gaskets had to be replaced, seems to be a common thing with 3.8's and the passenger side window does not want to work sometimes. Other than that, car has been a real pleasure to own and drive.