2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Car
By GPGTP

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My GTP is awesome. I love the supercharger and the mileage. I get 24 mpg combined. Would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

HUD, Leather, Heated seats, Supercharger

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality (better materials)

GOOD JOB GM
By GOOD GM PRODUCT

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have owned this car for 2 1/2 years now and has been trouble free other than the intake gaskets. Great looks for an old car and the acceleration for a 6 cylinder is great. Fun to drive. For a inexpensive GM product I give it a very good overall rating.

Favorite Features

Overall look, acceleration and good handling for a mid-sized car.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Dexcool coolant or improve the material in the gaskets.

Best new car I've owned in over 50 years
By mike angelo

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I get over 30 mpg on highway 24 in city. Hot foot wife does much worse. Outside of battery, brakes tires, and oil changes, have had NO repairs in first 140,000 miles. Needed to replace oil pan gasket but delayed it until now. Oil is still cheaper than the repair. Suddenly the motor mount went bad. (Supercharged models use one less mount) which caused front axle boot to go. While it was apart replaced water pump which was still OK. Wife loves the car, I'm a van person so I feel cramped in it but it is fun to drive and the boost is great when needed. Tried using premium fuel but saw no gain in hp or mpg so have used regular since then with no problem.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, paint job, leather upholstery, handlng, accessories

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holders, stronger lower right motor mount, warp proof splash deflectors in wheel wells, better insulation against road noise

2 Years of love so far
By Scott

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car was bought in 2007 with 60k on it and never a problem other than a waterpump. The engine is strong as a horse for only 6 cylinders thanks to the supercharger. Highly recommend this vehicle to others.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo sound quality. Heads up display lets you know how fast your going without looking down at the speedometer. Nice feature!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality leather and better built interior parts. But then the costs would have to go up right?

Great MPG and Performance
By FuelMiser

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

When I see ads for a 4 cylinder Hondas that gets 30 mpg highway, I have to laugh as I'm having so much more fun in my GTP. This car is not only a sleeper, it gets gas mileage in the range of Japanese cars but it has 280 pounds of torque to play with. True, the interior plastic parts could have been better, but the mechanical failures of my brother's Accord make me glad I bought a Pontiac. The GTP is well-known for long-term reliability and most of the negative posts you see here are not representative of the total population. I had a GM 3.8 liter with 250,000 miles and not a single mechanical issue. Don't doubt Pontiac's build quality or engineering, these cars are a steal @ <$10K!

Favorite Features

The supercharger's 280 pounds of torque comes on quickly and 240 horsepower carries you through to 6000 RPM while a heated leather driver's seat makes you feel comfy.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic interior pieces make an otherwise excellent machine less than perfect.

Still love this car
By chris

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Have owned this car for 6 years now. It's still a great ride. Have had some minor issues. Fan switch for A/C & heat broke. Had to install new resistor $200. Windshield fluid motor burned out. Another $200. Brakes were garbage at 35k. Besides that, just the basics. It's a great car. Need to get an SUV for my family. I own 3 cars, but this is the last 1 I'd trade in. It has lots of power, when you need it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system. Heated leather seat. Great acceleration. Heads up display... all cars should have this.

How I luv'd my 40th Annv. Special Ed GTP
By Ronnie B

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I remember having to call 12 car dealerships to find my car, my wife had first seen it on the Internet and told me I had to see this new special tribute to gm's Pontiac grand prix for 40 years of performance, we both fell in luv with it we had to have it. We had a 1999 gtp, and our lease was about up. So I went hunting after 2weeks of calling all over so. Cal I found a dealership that had one with all the options. I have had literally hundreds of compliments about it. The special edition package for the extra money is so worth it other than the loss of the (psm) performance shift mechanism, and the digital thermostat air/heat I luvd' the can, it performed excellent just like my 1999

Favorite Features

The cool special Edition 40th annv package, including the special 40th annv only color for that car for that year only. A great collector car. with Pontiac always great creature comforts outstanding performance.

Suggested Improvements

Digital thermostat climate control and heated passenger seat for all GT/GTP cars

Lovable sports car
By G WILSON

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My Pontiac is full load.Love my leather heated seats speedometer on wind shield, onstar protection,the body is just hot, more power than i can handle

Very fun car
By Tim Olson

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This car is very fun to drive and gets a lot of attention with the right aftermarket accessories. I wish that they kept the same body style through current years though.

Favorite Features

supercharged engine, and heads up display

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, thats about all

Fun Ride
By CCrain

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The first year I owned this car it was used as a daily driver. Now I have a company take-home so my GTP sits in the garage. The few times that I do drive this car are a blast. Car has good pick-up and is able to merge with no problems at all. The trouble I have had from ths car is both head gaskets had to be replaced, seems to be a common thing with 3.8's and the passenger side window does not want to work sometimes. Other than that, car has been a real pleasure to own and drive.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, intergrated phone, onstar, sporty looks(chicks love'em), horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seat on Passenger side, figure out why the head gaskets are prone to leaking w/ these models, Beefier brakes,