Life with a Red GTP
By El Squid on
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)
I bought a used GTP because GM decided to discontinue the 2-door version. I am amazed at how little fuel it takes to propel the GTP along open highways. Conversely, when engaging in stoplight gymnastics it rips through premium gas like, well you know what I mean. It's a shame that along with discontinuing the GTP coupe, the performance shift switch was also deleted. Hooray for Hypertech whose reprogrammer allows the return of fast shifts and also disables the silly governor. In spite of the car's 145 mph capability I drive the car within posted limits except when visiting the Nevada desert and other fun places. Besides, 30 mpg is available on the interstate if driven gently.
Favorite Features
BMW squashing acceleration and swoopy good looks. Eaton supercharger makes cool sounds and propels my GTP into hyperspace.
Suggested Improvements
The instrument panel is awful. The Monte Carlo SS got it better, but the Monte is almost as ugly as my drivers license photo.The newer 4-door Grands Prix are not for me- I only drive 2- doors. The G6 is a nice try but the G6 GTP doesn't make the right sounds.