Great Design But Cheap Parts
By Bob M. on
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)
I could not recommend the 2001 Grand Prix. I bought this 2001 Grand Prix Prix GT Special edition after Owning a 1998 Bonneville. I wanted to upgrade to a sportier car, but still needed four doors. I really liked the design and options--it is pretty much loaded but soon experienced many problems. At 35,000 when I bought the car the steering rack had to be replaced. At about 45,000 wheel bearings started to go. Three so far. Along with both front coil springs breaking--one of them twice(GM parts),tie rods, etc. I don`t mind replacing brakes (even those wear out too fast) and normal wear parts, but these other parts should not wear out so fast. The car always starts and the handling is fine.
Favorite Features
Favorite features would be the Special Edition options, special chrome wheels, two tone leather seats, special spoiler, special dual chrome tailpipes,roof rails and hood scoops. Sound system is good, along with controls on steering wheel. Basically all around nice sporty styling in a four door sedan
Suggested Improvements
GM puts a lot of emphasis on styling but is using sub-par quality parts- especially mechanical parts. My car is a perfect example of that--great styling and options but cheap parts. With the mileage I have (63,000) these parts would not have gone on a Toyota , Honda, etc. GMs problems should be obvious.