2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Beware of Repairs
By WSG on 01/24/05 14:07 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

List of problems: EGR value replaced at 40k miles ($410), multi-function switch replaced (for faulty wiper blades) at 43k miles ($530), replaced brake rotors at 44k miles ($300), new catalytic converter and transmission at 53k miles ($4,900). Sorry to say, this has just not been a reliable car at all.

Gotta love the power!
By angels66 on 12/16/04 18:44 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought this car in October 2004 and I am loving it! The power is unmatched, but it feels stable. I've gone through several snowfalls and this car is great! The traction control and ABS work great together. I have the special edition package and it just makes the look of the car even better. I wish I had better fuel economy, but I'm willing to trade it for the power!

Not Happy
By John on 12/16/04 17:17 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was great for the first 50K miles then things started to fall apart. The catalytic converter went out at about 55K, and the transmission started operating real sloppy. From there the transmission went downhill. The transmission had a certain lag when you needed to accelerate and it started making funny noises. At 85K the transmission started dropping into gears and continued to sound worse. I just got rid of it before things got worse.

Not a happy customer
By Chris on 12/15/04 15:21 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and I think it had around 45,000 on it. One month later I had to have the transmission replaced. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy, but I did end up getting a GM warranty when I purchased it. Now, about 11 months later, it sounds like it's acting up once again. Get an extended warranty, unless you don't plan on keeping it for very long. And like with all warranty work, the dealers like to take their sweet time getting your car repaired...

GTP review
By Greg on 12/10/04 00:59 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

It has been a fun car to drive. Very responsive. good mileage on trips, handles well. I have had a few minor repairs, but otherwise it has been very reliable.

Great Car
By singledt on 11/15/04 07:04 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning my Grand Prix. It has nice acceleration and a smooth ride. It handles very well in all conditions, even snow. All the controls are within easy reach and are easy to find. I was surprised by just how large it is on the inside. There is plenty of room in the backseat for passengers to be comfortable and not have their knees in their chest. The trunk is also very spacious and can hold tons of luggage. I drive this car from Nebraska to Florida two or three times a year, and have no complaints. Except that I wish Nebraska was closer to Florida.

Nice Car
By ida on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I am only 19 years old and on my third car and by far this is the most outstanding car i have had. Best power, comfort, style. I feel like i am in an expensive sports car.

Another Transmission
By Suza41 on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new -- loved it, till 08/24/04. Transmission died in local dealer's service lane. And I do mean died. Only 31,500 miles. While working on the car service mechanic discovered deteriorated Wheel bearing, more money. Sure am glad I bought that extended warrenty everyone told me was a waste of money. Bought this car because of the handling and interior size, I am a short woman, but like to drive a mid-size car.

Beware of Transmission
By Jimbabwe on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Great car in every aspect except the transmission. I've had mine replaced 3 times, 24k, 38k, and 55k. Glad I got the extended warranty. Read other reviews and you'll see a lot of transmission problems. Dealership denied having knowledge of a problem, but lots of owners have told me the transmissions are a real problem.

Problem Car
By suzid on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been in the shop every month for the last six months for something different every time. And it was in the shop at least every three months before that, once the warranty ran out.