2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
great mileage
By frank on 03/29/06 07:56 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

30 miles per gallon if you stay out of the supercharger on the interstates. great car so far on dependability.

Rating my Grand AM
By Grand AM on 02/25/06 18:49 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a problem (on going) with computer saying "engine needs service, which can not be turned off, the car runs great needing only new batteries. Takes life out of them quicker in hot Florida.

Watch out for the catalytic conv!!!!
By Stan the man on 11/30/05 20:41 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new when 0% first came out. Good car overall. Luckily, I have escaped the tranny problems so far, we'll see. All you owners out there, BEWARE. The catalytic converter on these, the GTs, and the GTPs are bad. There IS a warranty to 80,000 miles on the SE, and they raised it to 120,000 for the others. I have an SE. Got it fixed at 79,600 miles, didn't even know about the warranty. sweet! Oh, by the way. This thing cost 21 grand new, and is now worth 5. Can you say "Honda" from now on!!!!!!

Typical car
By OK on 11/30/05 11:41 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my GTP in January 2003 as my "dream car". Before that I had a 1997 Intrepid with the 3.5 engine. This car is much more exciting in both the exterior and interior with the excellent bose sound system and HUD, etc. The performance was good, but not that much better than my intrepid. The transmission does not shift nearly as smoothly as the Intrepid, it feels like you are "beating" on it no matter how careful you are. I had the tranny checked out by two different shops and they both say it's OK. So no big deal. I had a wheel bearing go out at about 40k miles. My windshield washer pump went out at 60k. Had the belts and thermostat replaced. Nothing major. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

not too happy
By KD on 11/18/05 15:38 PM (PST)

had to get a new transmission after 65,000 and I don't even drive rough

knock on wood (can't complain)
By can't complain on 10/30/05 15:14 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have seen some of the reviews and have to say that either the only people giving the reviews are people who have had probs or i'm extremely lucky. Bought my 01 GP SE 2 years ago with almost 28k on it and now have 70k on it. Only prob was computer needed reset while still under warranty, new radio fuse. I've had no major issues thankfully. I have had some noise occasionally when I start the car which hasn't been figured out but never had a prob starting the car. Gas mileage seems to be getting a little worse with age/more mileage. Piece holding glove box up when opened broke so now it falls out sometimes when opened. That's it...minor at best. I would suggest this car for sure!

Car Needs A Major Recall!!!
By Agitated on 10/13/05 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased brand new! First, my tires did not last anytime-they were "chopped up" to quote the dealer and I had all the scheduled maintenence. The valves had to be replaced and the transmission has not been the same-I expect it to go out anytime! Goofy things inside have gone wrong, the controller for the windows had to be replaced, the strip on the driver side window broke, among other things. The cruise control only works part of the time and the accelerator for it never works. This week my passenger tie rod had to be replaced and universal joint is going out! You pretty much name it, and I've had problems with this car. I love driving this car, but it's a pile of junk! CurrentlyCarShopping

deeply irritated
By irritated on 04/27/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car after trading in a xcab f150 ford truck,which i loved. But owning two trucks was not fuel wise! After looking for a better gas milage vehicle, but still didn't want a "granny car", this sporty looking car caught our eyes! The car has every option including a moonroof, except leather interior,i don"t like leather. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, especially the passengers.Drink holders are a joke!! Oh!!! Let"s don"t forget that great transmisssion. They"re so great i have to have it replaced for the "4th", i said "forth", time.This is not a car to keep. After 58,000 miles,trans went out, again at 82,000 miles, but returned witin days for more repairs! And now at 88.000

Good car
By pmn on 03/31/05 23:32 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Basically a good car. Have had small problems. Heater knob cracked, starter replaced, power window control replaced, leaked antifreeze, had seals replaced. New problem every 6 months - thankful for extended warranty. Have owned 2 pontiacs for 7 years each, both grand ams. Have to say I'm disappointed with this grand prix. Exterior paint did not hold up and interior carpet matted

Beware of Repairs
By WSG on 01/24/05 14:07 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

List of problems: EGR value replaced at 40k miles ($410), multi-function switch replaced (for faulty wiper blades) at 43k miles ($530), replaced brake rotors at 44k miles ($300), new catalytic converter and transmission at 53k miles ($4,900). Sorry to say, this has just not been a reliable car at all.