2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Great Car 3rd Grand Prix
By Caselynn on 08/04/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third grand prix I have owned, and I must say I have NO complaints! I have had only small problems, the switch on the fan only works at 3+, and the light on the radio doesn't light up. I get 30 mpg on highway, and 26 in town. I have a lifter tapping which is annoying but not serious. It always runs and drives and I am at 160,000 miles so far. I had a 94 SE which made it to 250,000, and I drove my 98 GT to 180,000 with only a minor oil leak when I sold it. I love this car and I am impressed, I have owned many others but keep coming back to Pontiac.

Not Crazy About The SE Model
By jackdaniels7070 on 07/01/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Only owned for 9 or 10 months and the problems are starting to mount. Its only at 200,000 Km. The first week of ownership, the transmission started to kick in between 1st & 2nd gear while accelerating, ($2500 repair) it still continues to be a problem but cannon afford to fix transmission, rather deal with discomfort till I buy something better. Head gasket is on the edge of blowing, just driving a short distance and I can smell the dexcool leaking ($1500 repair) on to the hot engine. Power feels weak in the city, very stiff pedal, must apply a lot of force to accelerate. Bushings in the front are flattened, going around turns makes the car feel like its on ice year round ($1000 repair)

Great Design But Cheap Parts
By Bob M. on 05/11/08 19:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I could not recommend the 2001 Grand Prix. I bought this 2001 Grand Prix Prix GT Special edition after Owning a 1998 Bonneville. I wanted to upgrade to a sportier car, but still needed four doors. I really liked the design and options--it is pretty much loaded but soon experienced many problems. At 35,000 when I bought the car the steering rack had to be replaced. At about 45,000 wheel bearings started to go. Three so far. Along with both front coil springs breaking--one of them twice(GM parts),tie rods, etc. I don`t mind replacing brakes (even those wear out too fast) and normal wear parts, but these other parts should not wear out so fast. The car always starts and the handling is fine.

worth the price
By harpe00 on 04/08/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for an affordable transitional car and found this to be the perfect match. As an upcoming college graduate and moving into the workforce this summer I needed something reliable, dependable and affordable to make the transition.

Good car, but little things go bad
By tpasa on 12/29/07 12:15 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is a stylish car with good pick up and decent room inside and in the trunk. My only gripe with the car is the power window motors have gone bad on two different windows four times total, the time display in the radio went bad, and the sunroof cover broke. If not for little things like this going bad, the car has been great. Good pickup and about 18-20 MPG for the most part. No problems with the engine or transmission after 74K miles...

Sweet ride
By Great car so far ! on 08/30/07 20:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this car and totally love it. Great pick up, smooth ride and pretty damn quiet for a pretty big 6. Love all the features,sunroof, power everything and seat warmer to keep me warm in the winter.

Flamer
By DRJ on 01/28/07 18:36 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Performance and gutsy sound from dual exhausts is sports car like yet is a family sedan. Impressed with 30 mpg on highway under 72 mph. Great exterior design. Had to upgrade the tires and stereo dvd player. Very visible orangish red color has helped accident avoidance.

Drive Train troubles
By pontiacrod1970 on 08/10/06 08:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

For about the last 6 months this car has had cv problems, shifting problems, Have had the front wheel brgs replaced on each side at least twice, now they have to replace the automatic transmission valve body and the 2-3 shift solinoid also replaced! Also had to replace left axle assm. and has had 4 fuel regulators in 2 years!!!!!!!

Pontiac 3.8L transmission
By hymark on 06/10/06 06:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car, transmission went at 120,000 miles, had it rebuilt, still the same problems, no one can find the problem 12,000 miles later!

"RED ROCKET"
By BRIAN JAEB on 04/24/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I was a "ford man" until I got behind the wheel and drove this car. Boy was I impressed. It handled way better than i ever imagined. Those "Ford Guys" are way behind the times with there Taurus and 500`S. Ride quility and handling have any other rode sedan beat hands down.