Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

GREAT CAR!!
By zkjsfbdkws894

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great! The car is very well constructed. I recently got this car as my first car and I wouldn't take anything else. It's pretty fast for being 13 years old and that 3800 Series II engine is a beast. My car personally has trouble starting and the key gets stuck in the ignition. i know the key getting stuck in the ignition is a common problem, but if this happens, there is a hole (you may need to remove a little plastic cover) under where you would insert the key on the steering column. You just use a pen or something, push in the little knob and you can remove the key. There are some websites or videos telling you how to. But this is a great car and would recommend to people!

The 3800 Series II engine is a tank and runs good. The leather (optional) is good and that one heated seat (optional) works well. The OnStar (optional) is a cool feature even though it's useless. I like how to car is styled overall. I also lie how the headlights give it a "mean" look.

I wish GM would have designed the key release a little better. Most cars have a problem where it gets stuck.

Hey It's A Pontiac! What Can I Say?
By evnsptc

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I ordered this car brand new to my specifications (Special Edition GTP, Navy Blue, Graphite Two-Tone Heated Leather, HUD, Moonroof, I also got an extra set of 3 Spoke Polished Aluminum Rims to go with it) I love this car and will keep it forever!! It has 17K miles (I barely drive it, it's my pride and joy!) It's been a great car to me! Very comfortable, enjoyable/head turning, reliable and it looks great doing so!

Everthing in/on it!

Nothing whatsoever!

BAD ENGINE!
By tears0fash666

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

First I owned the car for a month, had to replace the engine because oil wasn't going to one of the rods. Now, 2 years later, it's sitting waiting to be sold for the same problem. Had about 100,000 on both engines. Had it in the shop all the time, it was never the easy things that were wrong either. I would not buy this car again.

Fun car, hindered by GM
By braindeadunit

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The 3.8L makes this a pretty fun car to drive, however, as a GM "cookie cutter" car, it suffers from subpar engineering and build quality. Panels like to fall off, something that could've been prevented with a better plastic. The powertrain is generally reliable, but that's about it. You can eek pretty good mpg out of this car, but it's a bit of a pain to do so. If great MPG is your priority, look elsewhere, but don't worry about this car burning holes in your pocket.

The performance, handling feels pretty "locked in," although is occasionally sluggish. It's a pretty sizable and comfortable car. Despite subpar overall reliability, the powertrain (where the really expensive repairs lie) seems like it'll just keep going and going.

Reliability -- the bearings go out like crazy, and more money was put into this car than I feel should have been. Transmission -- inherent design "flaw" makes me a bit scared to use full power regularly (less of a flaw, and more of an overlook -- there's an internal component that is prone to snapping after years of stress from relatively high torque). Manual Trans option would've been nice.

Been good since 140K
By cwitty

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. I've owned for a couple years and haven't had too many issues. Currently at 181K miles and I may need some new belts, but other than that, the engine is a haus. Feels like I couldn't do anything other than crash it to stop this thing from running. Best car for the money if you don't mind riding in a pontiac. Took it on a 3k roadtrip in the 170K range, and it made it there and back with only a wheel bearing that needed replaced. Regular problems/maintenance with this car, bearings, brakes (better than most cars), rear windows, some sensor problems, and from my experience and noting others, usually tranny needs to get rebuilt at some point during the life of the car.

The power/value ratio is unmatched in my opinion. 3.8 engine has beaten other cars on the road (if it was brand new, I'd put it up against almost any other v6 engine). I ride my car pretty hard, and it has been a tank. One word describes the car, tank.

The MPG if your flooring it isn't all that good, but what do you expect from a 3.8L engine. Interior is a little dismal, but its a early 2000's pontiac.