2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Hey It's A Pontiac! What Can I Say?
By evnsptc on 10/27/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I ordered this car brand new to my specifications (Special Edition GTP, Navy Blue, Graphite Two-Tone Heated Leather, HUD, Moonroof, I also got an extra set of 3 Spoke Polished Aluminum Rims to go with it) I love this car and will keep it forever!! It has 17K miles (I barely drive it, it's my pride and joy!) It's been a great car to me! Very comfortable, enjoyable/head turning, reliable and it looks great doing so!

Last of the classic Grand Prixs...
By Russ on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The GTP coupe is truly the last of the classic Grand Prix line.Nothing against sedans,but this is the best looking model since the '70s.At 3,500 lb it has the weight to match the 240 hp/280 ft.lb.supercharged 3.8L engine.Feels like the classic performance models of '60s.At 73,000 miles there's been no major problems except a dead battery and dry-rotted tires.Slight oil seepage but that happens at higher mileage. Gas mileage isn't that bad for a supercharged engine, using premium actually gives it better mileage, go figure. Nice leather interior, drivers seat is comfortable when finally dialed in. Overall a sharp, solid car.

It's a nice car
By Reezy-High on 08/05/10 00:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

It's great! I got everything under the hood squared away. High-mileage runs like a new car though. Cheesy interior. Oh and the pad under the glove box is slightly hanging down. I purchased it that way.

I'm Broke
By Delrone on 12/29/09 19:43 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was good until 85k miles. I understand things need to be changed and replaced with a high mileage car like brakes oil filters fluids etc. My costs of repairs have been doubling since my 4th year of ownership. Transmission @120k 3 Master cylinders, brake lines twice, 3 EGR valves, ball joints, Emmisions problems like crazy, carbon build up on the gas pedal, sending unit replaced, electrical grounds rotting off, electrical switches failed early at 40k miles, rusting early 50k miles(once a week washing with a professional detail twice a year)hub assymbly at 83kmiles, wind sheild washer fluid rarely works in cold weather, door seals and locks freeze, thermostat replaced at 130k.

Miss the old grandpix
By angel on 02/05/09 19:31 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Love the smooth and quite ride. Its was so quite i accidently tried to restart it a few times oops! My bad. but it never hurt the starter. I really miss the car and may get another after seeing one on the road today. I bought mine brand new in 2001 and replaced it in 2007 to buy my daughter a used car. She liked it and learned to drive in it but wanted something smaller. when i got rid off it i racked up 160,000. mostly highway miles to and from work. the only problem i ever had was one power window motor which i fixed myself.Never had to do a timing belt because it was chain driven and never had to replace any CV joints or driveshafts. Just normal wear and tear items.

Love Pontiacs
By Brando on 12/04/08 18:07 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Good on gas and has pep. Love the car. It was a one owner before I bought it so I don't know prior history. Engine light came on once because I forgot to replace the gas cap on it. I reset it by disconnecting the battery cable for a few seconds.

3.8 V6 solid as a rock
By Arrowhead on 11/04/08 18:26 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Having been raised in a Pontiac family, I have owned more Oldsmobiles and Buicks. Bought this car for a reasonable price back in '05 with a GM certified warranty. This car has needed periodic maintenance per the owners manual of which absolutely no one follows. Doing the correct fluid flush's on time, the filters, injection cleaning, wires, plugs, brakes, tires. Its motor is bullet proof. I plan on keeping this car another 3 or 4 more years and I can most certainly expect with normal on time maintenance, it will perform as desired. It hauls quickly o-60, it handles incredible, has plenty of room. Some cheap interior stuff, but it just can be overlooked with its looks and reliability.

Life with a Red GTP
By El Squid on 09/06/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought a used GTP because GM decided to discontinue the 2-door version. I am amazed at how little fuel it takes to propel the GTP along open highways. Conversely, when engaging in stoplight gymnastics it rips through premium gas like, well you know what I mean. It's a shame that along with discontinuing the GTP coupe, the performance shift switch was also deleted. Hooray for Hypertech whose reprogrammer allows the return of fast shifts and also disables the silly governor. In spite of the car's 145 mph capability I drive the car within posted limits except when visiting the Nevada desert and other fun places. Besides, 30 mpg is available on the interstate if driven gently.

JW's Loaded 2DR 2001 GP GTP
By JW 01 GP GTP on 03/25/06 18:56 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Purchased the car from a Pontiac Mechanic.Him and his wife loved the car,but wanted an SS.Bought the car with 7,500 miles on it. It was in PERFECT condition, not even a scratch.It was their baby and now it's mine. I don't drive it much(company SUV).I've owned it for 2 1/2yrs and put 23,500 miles on it.The looks of the car are OUTSTANDING.It gets many stares and people ask about it.The sound,feel and torque of the engine is awesome.Competitors can't match it. True,the interior looks cheap,but given the performance,style,sound and reliability of the car, it's a small price to pay.Only problem I've had is the sunroof motor went bad.This is a sweet ride.It looks great in my garage or doing 120 mph.

Needs toys to get going
By Greg on 01/13/06 13:09 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my GTP when it was two years old and had only 7k on it. At first I really like the torque of the supercharger, but after ridding in other non-supercharged six cylinder coupes/sedans i'm no longer impressed that much. The car has a nice exterior look to it, but once you open the door and set inside the cheesy interior appointments is what gets your attention. Way too much plastic inside. I have to say that the drivers seat is very comfortable, but the passenger seat is a bear. I've put 2k worth of go fast goodies in her and she now performs at a level that she should have stock with the almost 30k MSRP she had when new. Pontiac has lost there love afair with true real world performance