2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GREAT CAR!!
By zkjsfbdkws894 on 09/17/14 17:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great! The car is very well constructed. I recently got this car as my first car and I wouldn't take anything else. It's pretty fast for being 13 years old and that 3800 Series II engine is a beast. My car personally has trouble starting and the key gets stuck in the ignition. i know the key getting stuck in the ignition is a common problem, but if this happens, there is a hole (you may need to remove a little plastic cover) under where you would insert the key on the steering column. You just use a pen or something, push in the little knob and you can remove the key. There are some websites or videos telling you how to. But this is a great car and would recommend to people!

Hey It's A Pontiac! What Can I Say?
By evnsptc on 10/27/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I ordered this car brand new to my specifications (Special Edition GTP, Navy Blue, Graphite Two-Tone Heated Leather, HUD, Moonroof, I also got an extra set of 3 Spoke Polished Aluminum Rims to go with it) I love this car and will keep it forever!! It has 17K miles (I barely drive it, it's my pride and joy!) It's been a great car to me! Very comfortable, enjoyable/head turning, reliable and it looks great doing so!

BAD ENGINE!
By tears0fash666 on 09/11/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

First I owned the car for a month, had to replace the engine because oil wasn't going to one of the rods. Now, 2 years later, it's sitting waiting to be sold for the same problem. Had about 100,000 on both engines. Had it in the shop all the time, it was never the easy things that were wrong either. I would not buy this car again.

Fun car, hindered by GM
By braindeadunit on 12/28/12 07:09 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The 3.8L makes this a pretty fun car to drive, however, as a GM "cookie cutter" car, it suffers from subpar engineering and build quality. Panels like to fall off, something that could've been prevented with a better plastic. The powertrain is generally reliable, but that's about it. You can eek pretty good mpg out of this car, but it's a bit of a pain to do so. If great MPG is your priority, look elsewhere, but don't worry about this car burning holes in your pocket.

Been good since 140K
By cwitty on 12/21/12 09:12 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. I've owned for a couple years and haven't had too many issues. Currently at 181K miles and I may need some new belts, but other than that, the engine is a haus. Feels like I couldn't do anything other than crash it to stop this thing from running. Best car for the money if you don't mind riding in a pontiac. Took it on a 3k roadtrip in the 170K range, and it made it there and back with only a wheel bearing that needed replaced. Regular problems/maintenance with this car, bearings, brakes (better than most cars), rear windows, some sensor problems, and from my experience and noting others, usually tranny needs to get rebuilt at some point during the life of the car.

140k and counting
By darkcarnival on 06/30/12 02:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 8 years. I LOVE this car. Yes, there are a few things wrong. The windows clamps do break and the windows fall. When it's 110 out, the plastic does not hold up to the heat. The other thing is the Intake Manifold Gasket. Yes.... Replaced twice... My mechanic flushed all the DexCool out and replaced it with normal coolant. It has been that way for 5 years now, no problems. I love the way the car drives, looks, runs, and the power it has. I am so sad that they did away with Pontiac :-(

piece of junk
By jztoronto on 02/08/12 18:33 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

typical pontiac-looks great but the build quality is a joke. there should have been a recall on the rear window reg so we can raise and lower the window like a normal car. if you leave the problem eventually the window will fall out of the bracket and as you drive the window will roll down on its own not fun when its raining and you are on the highway. wipers are a joke never had a car with so many wiper issues. be prepared to replace bearings every two years and the abs light on ever car in america is on in this car. leaks oil, and the tranny is not a good design. radio light burned out, fuel reg is $500

Great Car
By otty on 01/31/12 17:33 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great car, still own it and I am at 227,000 km, runs like a charm still. Only regular maintenance required and a yearly oil spray for the Canadian winter to prevent corrosion. Only problem I've had is that my seat has broken

Last of the classic Grand Prixs...
By Russ on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The GTP coupe is truly the last of the classic Grand Prix line.Nothing against sedans,but this is the best looking model since the '70s.At 3,500 lb it has the weight to match the 240 hp/280 ft.lb.supercharged 3.8L engine.Feels like the classic performance models of '60s.At 73,000 miles there's been no major problems except a dead battery and dry-rotted tires.Slight oil seepage but that happens at higher mileage. Gas mileage isn't that bad for a supercharged engine, using premium actually gives it better mileage, go figure. Nice leather interior, drivers seat is comfortable when finally dialed in. Overall a sharp, solid car.

1 owner @ 100k mi.
By Roadrasher on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

The Supercharged 3.8 Series II engine is very reliable. 100,000 miles and the engine is flawless, but the rest of the car started falling apart. The Supercharger is not a serviceable item, so when the bearing goes out you have to replace the whole thing ($600 rebuild w/ installation). Both front wheel- bearings needed replacing. Power- steering pump went out. All within 10,000 miles of 100k. The car is definitely worth keeping and repairing. The GTP is the only way to go. If you are considering a Grand Prix, only get one w/ a Supercharger (20% more horsepower than the GT, and it shows). Before buying one, listen to the supercharger, if you hear a grind, get it replaced.