2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Fun to Drive But. . . .

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Review

GT Sedan (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Fun to Drive But. . . .
By Antelope Mike on

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

First 50K this car was a blast! Had a 1997 Mustang V6 before, but traded it in for a family car when my daughter was born. I wanted a more pratical car yet sporty as I had only owed sport coupes (all sticks)before. The GP-GT was the perfect car for me. I chose it over an Accord, Maxima and Camry. However, the last 44K (currently has 94K on it)has been another story. First the transmission (seems like a popular complaint) went out. Unfortunately, didn't have extended warranty. Then a power window, the ABS is malfunctioning causing the brakes to shudder when applied until the ABS turns itself off. I have also gone through 3 "seven year" batteries. Too bad, because the GP-GT is so fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Smooth powerful acceleration. Handles like a much smaller car (except when parking). Exterior design very sporty. Red instrument backlighting. Good road car - lots of interior room and very good mpg for a car that size.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality door panels. Transmission durability to match engine. Better trunk design (improved in '04) Better standard tires (had to upgrade).