Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Pontiaction
By The Icon

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought the car brand new with all the available options possible including the Bose sound system. I dont drive the car very far at all but when I do it is pure excitement and I get looks when I am next to another car. When I first had it, I did have seal leak problems and the steering, when very cold outside, seems stiff. Other than this I had good luck with the car. It just turned 7yrs old in February and it looks new, had several offers to buy it from me , including my mechanic.

Favorite Features

HUD, leather interior, outside styling. Can't beat it.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint, poor fuel economy .

Don't buy one for the looks
By melissa

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

The first several months, it drove like a dream. I fell in love with the design. Big mistake. Back door sides have been popping off, transmission has been going out, replaced starter, keys get stuck in ignition, only the passenger window will roll down, the vechile now shakes when under 45MPH, twice a year the windshield wipers need replaced, no trunk light, console cup holders have fallen off. This all happened within 3-4 yrs. of having the car. I have always taken care of my cars, but no matter how good I treat it, everything keeps breaking. My rear view mirror fell off after several months. If you have money to spend then this is the type of car you'll want.

Favorite Features

Automatic lights, automatic unlock and lock, large trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Improve on the electronical systems inside the car. Improve preformance and durablity. Make the car last. I've paid a lot of money, I expect to get my money's worth.

Best preloved car I ever bought
By ryan427

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 GTP with 96000 miles on it. It was a one owner in mint condition. the previous owner had to put a transmission in at 77,000 miles, but had no other issues. Apparently, there was a problem with some of the trannys in these cars. Replacing the battery is a real bear. Dash rattles a bit over bumps. I am watching a possible leaky valve cover gasket. Aside from that, this car rocks. Performance, fuel economy and looks are all outstanding. I lucked out and found this model with every single feature offered. It was a $29,000 car in 2000. Added Mobil 1 to the engine and trans and, a K&N filter and am now experiencing 30 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Head Up Display, red backlit dash, Eaton supercharger, exterior styling, sound system, throaty exhaust, driver info center, smooth shifting trans with OD, huge trunk, comfort on long trips, wheels, sound system controls on steering wheel, dual climate control, high quality leather, boost meter.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up rattles in interior, headlamp lenses turn yellow and fog up - use better quality plastic on headlamps, easier access to the battery, better quality seals on engine, put a drain plug on the supercharger for easier lubes.

pretty good car
By cpakron

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Feb. of 2006 and haven't had any major problems to date. Although, within the first week of ownership, I had to replace all 4 speakers (front-driver side=blown and rear-driver side=dead) and my front-passenger side window motor went out (which I am still yet to fix). The rear struts also will make a crunching sound sometimes. Otherwise, I really love driving the car, it is very sporty and I do get occasional looks.

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior styling, smooth factory paint job, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Window motors/switches and rear struts--seem to be a common Pontiac problem.

Junk electrical with these cars
By Earl

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Car has done very well in all areas except electrical which have been a nightmare. Can we talk? The driver's side window motor failed at less than 10k miles (in-warranty). Two of the other three failed out of warranty (one window failed after it had only been up and down ONCE). The blower motor failed at about 75k. The alternator and battery failed soon thereafter. The AC works great but makes squealing noises for years now. Have tried everything short of replacing compressor to fix it. Dealers want $400+ to fix the Pontiac- designed window motor problems.

Favorite Features

Great visibility including big mirrors. Dash is well laidout, as is the interior. Roomy trunk, attractive car, handles well, and gets good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system has always been an Achilles of any GM product and nothing has changed in my lifetime. Because of the massive electrical issues, I would be scared to buy another GP altho I have otherwise enjoyed most of the experience.