Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

I do love my car
By Tiffykc07

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I've had my car going on 3 years now, for almost a year I've had trouble with the key getting stuck in the ignition to where i had to use a nail to put underneath the steering wheel compartment and stick it inside this hole to get my key to come out, I'm not really sure why this happens but someone I know who has the same car as I do has the same problem. To roll down the passenger window from my driver side sometimes it doesn't work and then a few minutes later it does, but other than these problems I do love my car I just recently got brakes for it and the tires were still in great shape. I love the look of it and it is my first vehicle, I got it when I turned 18.

The body of it and the whole look, the engine.

The key ignition could have been made better and the electrician like for the windows.

10 year original owner
By Eric D

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought my Grand Prix Dec 26, 1999. Absolutely loved to drive it. The car was great until it hit about 75k miles, then things really started to wear down. Had one major repair of the rack and pinion and power steering at the same time. Was about a $1500 repair. Many other little things also began to fall apart since 75k. Driver power window quit working. Gas gauge began to malfunction and I had to track the fuel level with the trip odometer. Also, the low coolant light was always lit and even the fluids were topped off. The carpeting wore very early on. Overall, it was a satisfying ownership but mostly because I paid it off two years earlier then I had expected and owned it free and clear.

The body was great. Loved the sporty look. The V6 3.8L engine really had plenty of power in reserve when you needed it. It was also a very comfortable car with loads off leg room and nice contoured seats.

Too many little issues came up too early. I'd expect the malfunctions I had from a car with 100k+ miles, not 75k. Maybe it was cheap parts, maybe it was poor design. I don't know.

As good as most foreign cars
By bullwhip

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have owned it since new and drive it daily for Sales work. Overall mileage has been 25.3 but I can still get 30 mpg on highway driving with 179,000 miles on it. I've used synthetic oil since it was new. Brakes have been replace twice, third time coming soon. Front wheel bearings and inner tie rod replaced and that's about all other than some minor warranty work early on. It's a shame they won't be making them any more. :(

Moonroof, Bose radio and HUD

An easier way to bolt on the front bearing hubs, they are a bear to remove after 150,000 miles. No easy way to get at the bolts which have a reduced size hex head.

It takes a beating
By Mittens321

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Grand Prix after totaling my mustang last spring, and I rushed into it. I bought it from a shady, crappy dealer who just wanted it off his lot because I was young and inexperienced in buying cars. Got the car with 131k on it (pretty low compared to the rest I looked at!) and drive it home... you can tell this car has had a rough life. Yet it still runs very, very reliably. Brakes were completely rusted over, ti rods were so bad my mechanic feared for my safety, yet this car never gives out on me. Now at 145k and the tranny starting to slip, it still is a very reliable car. It's just had a rough life, and for as badly as it was taken care of before it runs excellently.

exterior design, decent gas mileage with a v6

The interior is cheap, it should have been updated.

Great car.
By J Money

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have 154000 miles on my car and never had a problem with it. I drive it pretty hard and nothing has broken. Tranny has never slipped, even though it would be nice if it shifted a lil faster. Tranny fluid flush might fix that. Plenty of power. Wish the top speed gov. was a lil higher then 107...bose sound system is nice if your not gonna do anything to it. but putting subs or anything in and your screwed cuz u got to switch out everything. all 8 speakers, head unit, amp. for me to do it,it would cost 800- 1500.

Leather heated seats, heads up display (amazing)

Seat springs are noisy. wish i would of gotten the GTP. Stock bose needs more power.

• SUV