Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Great car at 9 years old
By SMG_MP7A1

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is an absolutely fantastic car. My GTP is 9 almost 10 years old and runs like new with 132,000 miles. I had a full run of tests done on this car when my a/c went out and it had only three problems 1.a/c pump went dead 2. small oil leak due to old gasket on oil pan 3. Not exactly a problem yet but i was told to keep an eye on the CV boot. Fun to drive, starts just like a GM should, 0-60 somewhere in the mid 6's. pretty comfortable on long drives except the leather makes your back sweaty. got the a/c pump replaced and i am going to put a new oil pan gasket on myself during next oil change. This car I think could benefit from a 5 speed instead of a 4.

Heads-up display looks cool and it is a great safety feature. Steering wheel mounted audio controls are a great addition. The classic GM interior that is sightly turned towards the driver is always awesome. good brakes. The heated seat I've come to love, at first I thought it was a bit much for me.

Sadly the interior is pretty cheap. But I look at it as, yeah it is cheap but it is light there for making the car faster and consumes less fuel. And with the powerful 3.8 liter supercharged V6 anything that makes the car more fuel efficient is a welcome addition. 20-22 city 28-30 highway.

Love The Speed
By Kevin P

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have now owned my GTP for three + years now and I love it ... I have had to do some work to it.. Fuel pump resister, window motors, and upgraded the brakes... But all in all a fun car to own and a lot of fun to eat up all those v8 guys out there.. Have had a cooling system problem at like 190,000 but all to be expected Now working on upgrading the interior and putting in a gen 3 motor for more power...Would definitely suggest for a fun weekender that will get you to work on mon...

Heads up display(no looking down when racing) Keyless entry, POWER, Sound System, Styling, POWER, Racing feel inside, 240hp still getting 24+mpg

Wider wheels and tires, Brakes (upgrade), Strut tower braces ( at 100+ front struts sway, at @ 135 rear towers start to sway

Fun, looks good but poor quality
By CEH

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new. Still like the car, but expensive to maintain. Have had lots of minor problems and some major ones. Water leaks around doors and trunk, lumbar support switch replaced several times, Bose radio led disappeared, heater fan replaced, headlight plastic replaced, power window switches quit working, auto feature on rearview mirror does not work, fuel pump replaced, brake light wiring shorted out, etc. Major problems: Car vibrates when accelerating. Dealer replaced HUBS and axles and motor mounts three times as well as brake rotors. Alignment did not help. New tires did not help. New wheels did not help. I just live with the vibration now.

I like the design of the car. The engine is powerful and if treated lightly will get good mileage on trips. The Bose sound system sounds good even if I have to guess at the station numbers. I can still see them in the heads up display.

Better qualified dealership mechanics, ones that can fix a car and not just replace parts. Better quality interior and electrical systems. Like a lot of others said; the car needs better headlights.

We Drive Excitment
By Drive Excitment!

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car because I have always loved Pontiac syle. Its a two door and looks mean. It has very good power from a v6 200hp, 240 supercharged but not worth the extra $$$. Reilability of these engines are suppose to be unsurpassed. Handling is very good and you can take curves and stuff faster than normal cars. As for some of this reviews below, these cars DO NOT have a timing belt! This is the old timing chain, pushrod, dependable motor that has been around forever! (since the 70s) As for the bad... Its not common to have a steering itermediate shaft go out... Bad GM design. *dealerships tend to try and replace the Rack and Pinion to cure this sound* beware its usually the shaft!

HUD, Leather, performance for a normal inspired v6 engine.

Less plastic, but its pontiacs trade!

Heartthrob to Headache
By Illinois Girl

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Purchased 2 1/2 years ago. Loved the vehicle from the beginning. I still like the car, but not the repairs. I have had to replace the thermostat 3 times in the 2 1/2 years, the fuel pump 3 times within the last year, engine replacement, and now my gas cap is leaking air and the temp light is coming on again at times. It gets me to and from where I need to go on a somewhat reliable basis, but everyday I Wonder when will be the next time it's not going to start and need yet another tow. I have taken care of the car and still these problems. Makes me wish I didn't still owe so much on it!

Heads up display, ability to take curves and corners

Try to make the car so that it doesn't need the same parts over and over and over, tow trucks aren't cheap!!!!