Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Grand-prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving. I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles. It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me. Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute. Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go. Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes. The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.

Favorite Features

Deceptively fast! I love smoking riced-out little Hondas in my dinged-up, dirty sedan. Insanely reliable, as I mentioned. As long as it has gasoline and oil, it goes and goes. I've taken this car all around the country, and despite the little caution voice in the back of my head, my car continues to please me. My recent visit to a new mechanic left him astonished at the condition of the drivetrain, considering how worn out the car appeared. The seats aren't intended for luxury, but they eventually conform to your butt and prove extremely comfortable during long drives, or even naps. :) Love the oil indicator and the range indicator (when it worked). Roomy trunk and interior.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel gauge no longer works. Expensive repair, but a minor inconvenience if you monitor your tripometer. Common problems with the car are easily rigged, such as the keys being stuck in the ignition. Remove the gear shift panel thingy, find the collection of broken wires, and solder. It does like to blow through window motors, but those are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Otherwise, duct tape. :) My weatherstrip has flown off and disappeared somewhere on i97. The stock headlights leak and it's almost impossible to see at night, although those could be easily replaced. Solid drivetrain, but some minor things are iffy. These cars sell cheap, so if you can deal with them, go4it

Reliable but buggy electronics, and plenty of things to break
By bobsmith70

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

The 3.8 has a great transmission and engine, decent mpg, great performance, incredibly smooth, fun to drive but comfortable on the highway. Always started for me. I owned it from 90k to 140k. The problem is the electronics around it. Power steering rack leaks, gas gauge bounces around, traction control stops randomly, power windows love to break. Brake cylinders seize, the led on the radio like to dance sometimes. And nothing is $250 or less, everything is at least close to $400 or more to fix. It still works if you can live with the flaws as it is extremely dependable. Home mechanics go for it, but after 120k avoid it like the plague if you can't fix it yourself.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission are the best. Fast, fun to drive and still comfortable enough for the highway. The MPG is 17 city and 27 highway in the summer driven like it was meant to be. It can handle snow to a point. Lots of toys, and more things to break too. The most reliable car for starting everytime I have ever owned. The heads up display is wonderful if you get a chance at it.

Suggested Improvements

Part around it degrade quickly after 125k. Don't buy one past that unless you can fix it yourself. And expect nearly $400 dollars or more when something does break. Buy a code reader and keep it in the car so you know if the error code is garbage or not. This is not for people that faint at the sight of a check engine light. Don't buy it if you demand something that just works without thought or lifting the hood. I have heard complaints from those on the short side of 5'6" that the dash is tougher to see over.

Awesome Car!!!
By evnsptc

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Grand Prix GT in 2008 (3rd owner) at 103,000 miles. Five years later, It currently has 245,000 miles on it and still going! I have yet to replace major parts on it, Though I have replaced radiator, hoses and belts, brake pads, and tires. The engine and transmission are still running strong. I trust it on long trips and wouldn't know what I would do if I didn't have it. . .

Favorite Features

I like the Heads Up Display, Moonroof, Rear Seat Pass Through, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Rear Spoiler, Roomy Interior, Sporty Looks, Comfortable Interior, Theft System, and 16' 5-spoke Rims!

Great Car
By awos

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is our second Pontiac and what a car. Regular maintance and thats it. 122,000 miles and 4 new struts and she's always ready. We have a 2008 GP, GXP with same results. No problems

Favorite Features

HUD, Heated Seats and auto a/c

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Pontiac GM !!!!

I like my car but......
By lowlovesu

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my grand prix gt a few years ago at auction. It had 101tho. miles. The car looked good and ran well at first but then many big issues began coming up. It seems each time it breaks down its at least 300 in repairs, it makes a gosh awful sequel.The belt was replaced twice and it still squeals? Also my gas gauge quit working awhile back . It also has some electrical glitches because random lights on the panel go on for example the low fuel light goes on all the time as well as the oil and coolant lights (even when all these things are changed) and the open trunk light doesn't work at all. Also the car is rusting pretty bad underneath But for 12 yrs old and counting its a decent car!

Favorite Features

Nice sized back seat and trunk, fun to drive, sporty for a sedan, for a four door it looks pretty bad a** , good car for a young driver, its FAST!

Suggested Improvements

A more rust resistant body (my car has more holes forming then I can count I can barely keep up filling them in) , Better electrical, Nicer interior (the all plastic interior detracts from the look of the car) , Better reliability, Better gas mileage.