2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette on 11/14/13 12:53 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving. I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles. It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me. Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute. Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go. Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes. The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.

Reliable but buggy electronics, and plenty of things to break
By bobsmith70 on 07/08/13 21:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

The 3.8 has a great transmission and engine, decent mpg, great performance, incredibly smooth, fun to drive but comfortable on the highway. Always started for me. I owned it from 90k to 140k. The problem is the electronics around it. Power steering rack leaks, gas gauge bounces around, traction control stops randomly, power windows love to break. Brake cylinders seize, the led on the radio like to dance sometimes. And nothing is $250 or less, everything is at least close to $400 or more to fix. It still works if you can live with the flaws as it is extremely dependable. Home mechanics go for it, but after 120k avoid it like the plague if you can't fix it yourself.

Awesome Car!!!
By evnsptc on 01/12/13 16:14 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Grand Prix GT in 2008 (3rd owner) at 103,000 miles. Five years later, It currently has 245,000 miles on it and still going! I have yet to replace major parts on it, Though I have replaced radiator, hoses and belts, brake pads, and tires. The engine and transmission are still running strong. I trust it on long trips and wouldn't know what I would do if I didn't have it. . .

Great Car
By awos on 03/15/12 10:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is our second Pontiac and what a car. Regular maintance and thats it. 122,000 miles and 4 new struts and she's always ready. We have a 2008 GP, GXP with same results. No problems

I like my car but......
By lowlovesu on 01/28/12 09:41 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my grand prix gt a few years ago at auction. It had 101tho. miles. The car looked good and ran well at first but then many big issues began coming up. It seems each time it breaks down its at least 300 in repairs, it makes a gosh awful sequel.The belt was replaced twice and it still squeals? Also my gas gauge quit working awhile back . It also has some electrical glitches because random lights on the panel go on for example the low fuel light goes on all the time as well as the oil and coolant lights (even when all these things are changed) and the open trunk light doesn't work at all. Also the car is rusting pretty bad underneath But for 12 yrs old and counting its a decent car!

Great car, if it would quit breaking
By prettygtp on 09/08/11 10:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 113,000 miles which is lower than any other car I have owned. In it's defense, I bought it from an auction so who knows how it was taken care of. But it ran great! It was super fast. Then things started breaking, exhaust, window switches, suspension, leaky valve covers. I had a bad feeling but never wanted to sell it when the transmission decided to blow. The first gear totally destroyed itself. Will not own one of these again, going back to my mustangs which get 200,000 miles on them before they go out.

Still going!
By jodan29 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I can't say enough how I love my 2000 GT and will miss it when I retire it. Almost 300,000 miles and the trans is just starting to worry me. I drive 52 miles one way to work. Have had my share of problems, some covered by warranty others not. Still has the original exhaust and engine. Don't like that the black is a matte black with no sparkle; shows scratches too much. Interior has held up great. All I can say is if you keep it maintained it will not disappoint you. Sad to see Pontiac go under. :(

love my prix <3
By elizabeth on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

the one & only problem i've ever had with my car is that it needed a new battery cause the alarm was draining it (alarm went off all the time) otherwise i LOVE it. its sporty but not too little either (not too much into the little cars) runs like new & i always get compliments on it ;)

2000 4dr gt
By Ryukyu_Warrior on 08/14/10 09:45 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Good car, fun to drive when it runs. Poor Engine design, will run hot. and stock water pump is garbage. other than that good car.

I do love my car
By Tiffykc07 on 06/23/10 14:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I've had my car going on 3 years now, for almost a year I've had trouble with the key getting stuck in the ignition to where i had to use a nail to put underneath the steering wheel compartment and stick it inside this hole to get my key to come out, I'm not really sure why this happens but someone I know who has the same car as I do has the same problem. To roll down the passenger window from my driver side sometimes it doesn't work and then a few minutes later it does, but other than these problems I do love my car I just recently got brakes for it and the tires were still in great shape. I love the look of it and it is my first vehicle, I got it when I turned 18.