Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Dream car i always wanted
By Mikelane88

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 200k on it and it runs and drives great. Just starting to show a little rust but love this car and the supercharged engine is awesome. 208k and still going strong.
After putting on about 2000 miles the car now quits and may or may not start again. Pretty much have it sitting and collecting dust now. Read on the internet that this was a common problem. Not sure if I want to stick money into it.

Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving.
I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles.
It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me.
Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute.
Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go.
Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes.
The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.

Deceptively fast! I love smoking riced-out little Hondas in my dinged-up, dirty sedan. Insanely reliable, as I mentioned. As long as it has gasoline and oil, it goes and goes. I've taken this car all around the country, and despite the little caution voice in the back of my head, my car continues to please me. My recent visit to a new mechanic left him astonished at the condition of the drivetrain, considering how worn out the car appeared. The seats aren't intended for luxury, but they eventually conform to your butt and prove extremely comfortable during long drives, or even naps. :) Love the oil indicator and the range indicator (when it worked). Roomy trunk and interior.

The fuel gauge no longer works. Expensive repair, but a minor inconvenience if you monitor your tripometer. Common problems with the car are easily rigged, such as the keys being stuck in the ignition. Remove the gear shift panel thingy, find the collection of broken wires, and solder. It does like to blow through window motors, but those are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Otherwise, duct tape. :) My weatherstrip has flown off and disappeared somewhere on i97. The stock headlights leak and it's almost impossible to see at night, although those could be easily replaced. Solid drivetrain, but some minor things are iffy. These cars sell cheap, so if you can deal with them, go4it

Reliable but buggy electronics, and plenty of things to break
By bobsmith70

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

The 3.8 has a great transmission and engine, decent mpg, great performance, incredibly smooth, fun to drive but comfortable on the highway.
Always started for me.
I owned it
from 90k to 140k.

The problem is the electronics around it.
Power steering rack leaks, gas gauge bounces around, traction control stops randomly, power windows love to break.
Brake cylinders seize, the led on the radio like to dance sometimes.
And nothing is $250 or less, everything is at least close to $400 or more to fix.
It still works if you can live with the flaws as it is extremely dependable.

Home mechanics go for it, but after 120k avoid it like the plague if you can't fix it yourself.

Engine and transmission are the best. Fast, fun to drive and still comfortable enough for the highway. The MPG is 17 city and 27 highway in the summer driven like it was meant to be. It can handle snow to a point. Lots of toys, and more things to break too. The most reliable car for starting everytime I have ever owned. The heads up display is wonderful if you get a chance at it.

Part around it degrade quickly after 125k. Don't buy one past that unless you can fix it yourself. And expect nearly $400 dollars or more when something does break. Buy a code reader and keep it in the car so you know if the error code is garbage or not. This is not for people that faint at the sight of a check engine light. Don't buy it if you demand something that just works without thought or lifting the hood. I have heard complaints from those on the short side of 5'6" that the dash is tougher to see over.

Awesome Car!!!
By evnsptc

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Grand Prix GT in 2008 (3rd owner) at 103,000 miles. Five years later, It currently has 245,000 miles on it and still going! I have yet to replace major parts on it, Though I have replaced radiator, hoses and belts, brake pads, and tires. The engine and transmission are still running strong. I trust it on long trips and wouldn't know what I would do if I didn't have it. . .

I like the Heads Up Display, Moonroof, Rear Seat Pass Through, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Rear Spoiler, Roomy Interior, Sporty Looks, Comfortable Interior, Theft System, and 16' 5-spoke Rims!

Great Car
By awos

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is our second Pontiac and what a car.
Regular maintance and thats it. 122,000 miles and 4 new struts and she's always ready.

We have a 2008 GP, GXP with same results.

No problems

HUD, Heated Seats and auto a/c

Bring back Pontiac GM !!!!