2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx on 05/23/14 22:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output. My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp. If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP. These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop. A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

Best Car I've Owned
By eric116 on 07/28/11 02:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I bought it only for $100 dollars back in April after I traded in my 03 impala for it, yes i know I downgraded to a 2000, but the Impala was starting to rust and the Grand Prix had no rust and I've always wanted a GP and it always slipped through my grasp until now. The only problem I have had with the GP is the windsheild has a crack in it, not the big of a problem being that it is not in my line of sight. Plus my ac and heating had a weird problem where the drivers side only blew hot air even with the ac on but the passengers side worked just fine at first but it corrected itself right before summer.

Perfect First Car
By Chad on 07/15/10 01:54 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I got this car a few years ago as my first car. I was originally shopping for Accords, but they were out of my price range and I was recommended the Grand Prix because the 3800 V6 is supposedly "bulletproof." In the 5 years I've owned the car it has lived up to the reputation. It has had a few small issues(key gets stuck in the ignition occasionally and LED backlight on radio went out), some of which I caused(warping the brakes 3 times oops!), but it has been an excellent car! It has good looks, enough power to get out of it's own way, and it has been reliable. It's a "sleeper" in the sense you can save a ton of money over a Japanese car since they depreciate a lot, but are quite reliable

Great car at 9 years old
By SMG_MP7A1 on 01/05/10 10:14 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is an absolutely fantastic car. My GTP is 9 almost 10 years old and runs like new with 132,000 miles. I had a full run of tests done on this car when my a/c went out and it had only three problems 1.a/c pump went dead 2. small oil leak due to old gasket on oil pan 3. Not exactly a problem yet but i was told to keep an eye on the CV boot. Fun to drive, starts just like a GM should, 0-60 somewhere in the mid 6's. pretty comfortable on long drives except the leather makes your back sweaty. got the a/c pump replaced and i am going to put a new oil pan gasket on myself during next oil change. This car I think could benefit from a 5 speed instead of a 4.

Love The Speed
By Kevin P on 11/08/09 21:48 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have now owned my GTP for three + years now and I love it ... I have had to do some work to it.. Fuel pump resister, window motors, and upgraded the brakes... But all in all a fun car to own and a lot of fun to eat up all those v8 guys out there.. Have had a cooling system problem at like 190,000 but all to be expected Now working on upgrading the interior and putting in a gen 3 motor for more power...Would definitely suggest for a fun weekender that will get you to work on mon...

Fun, looks good but poor quality
By CEH on 04/22/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new. Still like the car, but expensive to maintain. Have had lots of minor problems and some major ones. Water leaks around doors and trunk, lumbar support switch replaced several times, Bose radio led disappeared, heater fan replaced, headlight plastic replaced, power window switches quit working, auto feature on rearview mirror does not work, fuel pump replaced, brake light wiring shorted out, etc. Major problems: Car vibrates when accelerating. Dealer replaced HUBS and axles and motor mounts three times as well as brake rotors. Alignment did not help. New tires did not help. New wheels did not help. I just live with the vibration now.

We Drive Excitment
By Drive Excitment! on 03/23/09 16:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car because I have always loved Pontiac syle. Its a two door and looks mean. It has very good power from a v6 200hp, 240 supercharged but not worth the extra $$$. Reilability of these engines are suppose to be unsurpassed. Handling is very good and you can take curves and stuff faster than normal cars. As for some of this reviews below, these cars DO NOT have a timing belt! This is the old timing chain, pushrod, dependable motor that has been around forever! (since the 70s) As for the bad... Its not common to have a steering itermediate shaft go out... Bad GM design. *dealerships tend to try and replace the Rack and Pinion to cure this sound* beware its usually the shaft!

Heartthrob to Headache
By Illinois Girl on 07/07/08 23:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Purchased 2 1/2 years ago. Loved the vehicle from the beginning. I still like the car, but not the repairs. I have had to replace the thermostat 3 times in the 2 1/2 years, the fuel pump 3 times within the last year, engine replacement, and now my gas cap is leaking air and the temp light is coming on again at times. It gets me to and from where I need to go on a somewhat reliable basis, but everyday I Wonder when will be the next time it's not going to start and need yet another tow. I have taken care of the car and still these problems. Makes me wish I didn't still owe so much on it!

2000 Grand Prix
By Josh L on 05/22/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Apart from being a sexy looking car, the Grand Prix is a great performer and very fun to drive. As with any Pontiac, though, its interior is plasticky.

Love it!
By Rodd on 03/23/08 03:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in 2002 with 33K miles. Other than having to replace the crank position sensor (car would shut off while driving down the road), and ABS issues (which would correct itself after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes)and normal wear and tear items, the car has been fantastic. I have 123,000 miles on it and just love it. It is a great looking car and I still get regular comments on it. Drove it from Michigan to Florida in 2006 (1,800 miles) and average 33 MPG.

1 2 3 4 5 next »