Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

One of the Best Cars I've Owned
By Brian B

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car since it was brand new; it's been driven daily for the last 16 years by me and then by my son as his college vehicle. At 172,000 miles, it continues to run strong and reliably. The 3800 engine is a durable performer. The transmission does act up a little on random occasions; primarily hard shifts. The only significant issue I've had with this car is that I've had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket three times since it was new. I also had to replace the radiator and sunroof motor. Also, the headlights on these cars don't seem to put out near enough light. The headlight and taillight lenses tend to collect condensation; but the paint has kept a strong shine and rust isn't a problem. The interior of the car has held up well other than the leather on the steering wheel and one of the radio speakers. There are very few squeaks or rattles on the car even now. Visibility from inside is excellent all around. Overall, the car is fun to drive, powerful and nimble enough to have a strong sporty feel, reliable and still economical. I'd by another new one just like it if I could.

Such a Blast!
By jrocker100

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Car has been very reliable. Car was originally a repo, got it for a steal. Have had this car for 2 years and still haven't/won't get bored with it. The roaring supercharger and exhaust make it all worth while. It's well worth using Premium Fuel. Red coupe, black leather, heated seat, Heads Up Display, fully loaded for a 2000. Even came with the original factory sticker. Bulletproof L67! Love the sound system! Plastic interior can be dull at times, but the red instrument panel lighting is awesome! If I could do it all over, I would. Sad to see Pontiac was discontinued.

GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output. My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp. If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP. These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop. A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

The GTP engine. It differs internally from the normal 3.8. The HUD display is pretty neat and the stock audio system isn't bad!

CRAPPY interior. low rent economy interior the door panels will break, knobs, buttons all break, but thank goodness for ebay and a zillion do it yourself video's on you tube. I would invest in the upgrading the front brakes to the same vintage Impala calipers and hanger.

Best Car I've Owned
By eric116

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I bought it only for $100 dollars back in April after I traded in my 03 impala for it, yes i know I downgraded to a 2000, but the Impala was starting to rust and the Grand Prix had no rust and I've always wanted a GP and it always slipped through my grasp until now. The only problem I have had with the GP is the windsheild has a crack in it, not the big of a problem being that it is not in my line of sight. Plus my ac and heating had a weird problem where the drivers side only blew hot air even with the ac on but the passengers side worked just fine at first but it corrected itself right before summer.

The engine, I love the 3800 Series II motor. I have drove three cars that have the 3800 and i love it. The acceleration is great, I love having a car that can accel to 60mph in only 7 sec(depending on road conditions). I will admit this car is my baby and I will never get rid of it.

The fog light compartments, i had a hard time replacing the fog light bulbs because it couldn't get up to them very easily. Also the headlamp assembly it leaks water on the drivers side and causes the drivers light to be a little dimmer on low beams but no difference on high beams.

Perfect First Car
By Chad

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I got this car a few years ago as my first car. I was originally shopping for Accords, but they were out of my price range and I was recommended the Grand Prix because the 3800 V6 is supposedly "bulletproof." In the 5 years I've owned the car it has lived up to the reputation. It has had a few small issues(key gets stuck in the ignition occasionally and LED backlight on radio went out), some of which I caused(warping the brakes 3 times oops!), but it has been an excellent car! It has good looks, enough power to get out of it's own way, and it has been reliable. It's a "sleeper" in the sense you can save a ton of money over a Japanese car since they depreciate a lot, but are quite reliable

3800 v6 power (not super fast, but adequate), looks (I still get compliments and now people offering to buy it off me), room (took a 42 inch tv home in a coupe), well optioned for the price (leather, cd, power driver seat, power everything and such).

The only big thing I don't like is the interior design. It's very "roundy" and the headlights are TERRIBLE. Other than that I love the car.

• SUV