Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Such a Blast!
By jrocker100

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Car has been very reliable. Car was originally a repo, got it for a steal. Have had this car for 2 years and still haven't/won't get bored with it. The roaring supercharger and exhaust make it all worth while. It's well worth using Premium Fuel. Red coupe, black leather, heated seat, Heads Up Display, fully loaded for a 2000. Even came with the original factory sticker. Bulletproof L67! Love the sound system! Plastic interior can be dull at times, but the red instrument panel lighting is awesome! If I could do it all over, I would. Sad to see Pontiac was discontinued.

GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output. My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp. If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP. These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop. A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

Favorite Features

The GTP engine. It differs internally from the normal 3.8. The HUD display is pretty neat and the stock audio system isn't bad!

Suggested Improvements

CRAPPY interior. low rent economy interior the door panels will break, knobs, buttons all break, but thank goodness for ebay and a zillion do it yourself video's on you tube. I would invest in the upgrading the front brakes to the same vintage Impala calipers and hanger.

Best Car I've Owned
By eric116

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I bought it only for $100 dollars back in April after I traded in my 03 impala for it, yes i know I downgraded to a 2000, but the Impala was starting to rust and the Grand Prix had no rust and I've always wanted a GP and it always slipped through my grasp until now. The only problem I have had with the GP is the windsheild has a crack in it, not the big of a problem being that it is not in my line of sight. Plus my ac and heating had a weird problem where the drivers side only blew hot air even with the ac on but the passengers side worked just fine at first but it corrected itself right before summer.

Favorite Features

The engine, I love the 3800 Series II motor. I have drove three cars that have the 3800 and i love it. The acceleration is great, I love having a car that can accel to 60mph in only 7 sec(depending on road conditions). I will admit this car is my baby and I will never get rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

The fog light compartments, i had a hard time replacing the fog light bulbs because it couldn't get up to them very easily. Also the headlamp assembly it leaks water on the drivers side and causes the drivers light to be a little dimmer on low beams but no difference on high beams.

Perfect First Car
By Chad

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I got this car a few years ago as my first car. I was originally shopping for Accords, but they were out of my price range and I was recommended the Grand Prix because the 3800 V6 is supposedly "bulletproof." In the 5 years I've owned the car it has lived up to the reputation. It has had a few small issues(key gets stuck in the ignition occasionally and LED backlight on radio went out), some of which I caused(warping the brakes 3 times oops!), but it has been an excellent car! It has good looks, enough power to get out of it's own way, and it has been reliable. It's a "sleeper" in the sense you can save a ton of money over a Japanese car since they depreciate a lot, but are quite reliable

Favorite Features

3800 v6 power (not super fast, but adequate), looks (I still get compliments and now people offering to buy it off me), room (took a 42 inch tv home in a coupe), well optioned for the price (leather, cd, power driver seat, power everything and such).

Suggested Improvements

The only big thing I don't like is the interior design. It's very "roundy" and the headlights are TERRIBLE. Other than that I love the car.

Great car at 9 years old
By SMG_MP7A1

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is an absolutely fantastic car. My GTP is 9 almost 10 years old and runs like new with 132,000 miles. I had a full run of tests done on this car when my a/c went out and it had only three problems 1.a/c pump went dead 2. small oil leak due to old gasket on oil pan 3. Not exactly a problem yet but i was told to keep an eye on the CV boot. Fun to drive, starts just like a GM should, 0-60 somewhere in the mid 6's. pretty comfortable on long drives except the leather makes your back sweaty. got the a/c pump replaced and i am going to put a new oil pan gasket on myself during next oil change. This car I think could benefit from a 5 speed instead of a 4.

Favorite Features

Heads-up display looks cool and it is a great safety feature. Steering wheel mounted audio controls are a great addition. The classic GM interior that is sightly turned towards the driver is always awesome. good brakes. The heated seat I've come to love, at first I thought it was a bit much for me.

Suggested Improvements

Sadly the interior is pretty cheap. But I look at it as, yeah it is cheap but it is light there for making the car faster and consumes less fuel. And with the powerful 3.8 liter supercharged V6 anything that makes the car more fuel efficient is a welcome addition. 20-22 city 28-30 highway.