2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx on 05/23/14 22:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output. My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp. If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP. These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop. A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette on 11/14/13 12:53 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving. I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles. It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me. Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute. Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go. Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes. The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.

Reliable but buggy electronics, and plenty of things to break
By bobsmith70 on 07/08/13 21:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

The 3.8 has a great transmission and engine, decent mpg, great performance, incredibly smooth, fun to drive but comfortable on the highway. Always started for me. I owned it from 90k to 140k. The problem is the electronics around it. Power steering rack leaks, gas gauge bounces around, traction control stops randomly, power windows love to break. Brake cylinders seize, the led on the radio like to dance sometimes. And nothing is $250 or less, everything is at least close to $400 or more to fix. It still works if you can live with the flaws as it is extremely dependable. Home mechanics go for it, but after 120k avoid it like the plague if you can't fix it yourself.

Awesome Car!!!
By evnsptc on 01/12/13 16:14 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Grand Prix GT in 2008 (3rd owner) at 103,000 miles. Five years later, It currently has 245,000 miles on it and still going! I have yet to replace major parts on it, Though I have replaced radiator, hoses and belts, brake pads, and tires. The engine and transmission are still running strong. I trust it on long trips and wouldn't know what I would do if I didn't have it. . .

Great Car
By awos on 03/15/12 10:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

This is our second Pontiac and what a car. Regular maintance and thats it. 122,000 miles and 4 new struts and she's always ready. We have a 2008 GP, GXP with same results. No problems

I like my car but......
By lowlovesu on 01/28/12 09:41 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my grand prix gt a few years ago at auction. It had 101tho. miles. The car looked good and ran well at first but then many big issues began coming up. It seems each time it breaks down its at least 300 in repairs, it makes a gosh awful sequel.The belt was replaced twice and it still squeals? Also my gas gauge quit working awhile back . It also has some electrical glitches because random lights on the panel go on for example the low fuel light goes on all the time as well as the oil and coolant lights (even when all these things are changed) and the open trunk light doesn't work at all. Also the car is rusting pretty bad underneath But for 12 yrs old and counting its a decent car!

Great car, if it would quit breaking
By prettygtp on 09/08/11 10:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 113,000 miles which is lower than any other car I have owned. In it's defense, I bought it from an auction so who knows how it was taken care of. But it ran great! It was super fast. Then things started breaking, exhaust, window switches, suspension, leaky valve covers. I had a bad feeling but never wanted to sell it when the transmission decided to blow. The first gear totally destroyed itself. Will not own one of these again, going back to my mustangs which get 200,000 miles on them before they go out.

Best Car I've Owned
By eric116 on 07/28/11 02:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I bought it only for $100 dollars back in April after I traded in my 03 impala for it, yes i know I downgraded to a 2000, but the Impala was starting to rust and the Grand Prix had no rust and I've always wanted a GP and it always slipped through my grasp until now. The only problem I have had with the GP is the windsheild has a crack in it, not the big of a problem being that it is not in my line of sight. Plus my ac and heating had a weird problem where the drivers side only blew hot air even with the ac on but the passengers side worked just fine at first but it corrected itself right before summer.

Still going!
By jodan29 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

I can't say enough how I love my 2000 GT and will miss it when I retire it. Almost 300,000 miles and the trans is just starting to worry me. I drive 52 miles one way to work. Have had my share of problems, some covered by warranty others not. Still has the original exhaust and engine. Don't like that the black is a matte black with no sparkle; shows scratches too much. Interior has held up great. All I can say is if you keep it maintained it will not disappoint you. Sad to see Pontiac go under. :(

love my prix <3
By elizabeth on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

the one & only problem i've ever had with my car is that it needed a new battery cause the alarm was draining it (alarm went off all the time) otherwise i LOVE it. its sporty but not too little either (not too much into the little cars) runs like new & i always get compliments on it ;)