Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

One of the Best Cars I've Owned
By Brian B

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car since it was brand new; it's been driven daily for the last 16 years by me and then by my son as his college vehicle. At 172,000 miles, it continues to run strong and reliably. The 3800 engine is a durable performer. The transmission does act up a little on random occasions; primarily hard shifts. The only significant issue I've had with this car is that I've had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket three times since it was new. I also had to replace the radiator and sunroof motor. Also, the headlights on these cars don't seem to put out near enough light. The headlight and taillight lenses tend to collect condensation; but the paint has kept a strong shine and rust isn't a problem. The interior of the car has held up well other than the leather on the steering wheel and one of the radio speakers. There are very few squeaks or rattles on the car even now. Visibility from inside is excellent all around. Overall, the car is fun to drive, powerful and nimble enough to have a strong sporty feel, reliable and still economical. I'd by another new one just like it if I could.

Dream car i always wanted
By Mikelane88

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 200k on it and it runs and drives great. Just starting to show a little rust but love this car and the supercharged engine is awesome. 208k and still going strong.
After putting on about 2000 miles the car now quits and may or may not start again. Pretty much have it sitting and collecting dust now. Read on the internet that this was a common problem. Not sure if I want to stick money into it.

Such a Blast!
By jrocker100

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

Car has been very reliable. Car was originally a repo, got it for a steal. Have had this car for 2 years and still haven't/won't get bored with it. The roaring supercharger and exhaust make it all worth while. It's well worth using Premium Fuel. Red coupe, black leather, heated seat, Heads Up Display, fully loaded for a 2000. Even came with the original factory sticker. Bulletproof L67! Love the sound system! Plastic interior can be dull at times, but the red instrument panel lighting is awesome! If I could do it all over, I would. Sad to see Pontiac was discontinued.

GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output.

My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp.

If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP.

These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop.

A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

The GTP engine. It differs internally from the normal 3.8. The HUD display is pretty neat and the stock audio system isn't bad!

CRAPPY interior. low rent economy interior the door panels will break, knobs, buttons all break, but thank goodness for ebay and a zillion do it yourself video's on you tube. I would invest in the upgrading the front brakes to the same vintage Impala calipers and hanger.

Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving.
I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles.
It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me.
Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute.
Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go.
Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes.
The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.

Deceptively fast! I love smoking riced-out little Hondas in my dinged-up, dirty sedan. Insanely reliable, as I mentioned. As long as it has gasoline and oil, it goes and goes. I've taken this car all around the country, and despite the little caution voice in the back of my head, my car continues to please me. My recent visit to a new mechanic left him astonished at the condition of the drivetrain, considering how worn out the car appeared. The seats aren't intended for luxury, but they eventually conform to your butt and prove extremely comfortable during long drives, or even naps. :) Love the oil indicator and the range indicator (when it worked). Roomy trunk and interior.

The fuel gauge no longer works. Expensive repair, but a minor inconvenience if you monitor your tripometer. Common problems with the car are easily rigged, such as the keys being stuck in the ignition. Remove the gear shift panel thingy, find the collection of broken wires, and solder. It does like to blow through window motors, but those are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Otherwise, duct tape. :) My weatherstrip has flown off and disappeared somewhere on i97. The stock headlights leak and it's almost impossible to see at night, although those could be easily replaced. Solid drivetrain, but some minor things are iffy. These cars sell cheap, so if you can deal with them, go4it