1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Review: Supercharged Excitement

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Review

Supercharged Excitement
By jduff72 on

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I upgraded my GTP to the SLP Ram Air GTX, with the added exhaust. This car is about the most fun you can have for under $35,000! There was a recall on the starter, which had already failed in my vehicle at 10,000 miles. The transmission blew at 65,000 miles. Fortunately, I have an extended warranty. Anyway - the car is blast to drive, but I question the reliability of the vehicle. If you drive it like a sportscar, expect high maintenance costs. The paint also chips very easily. It's the best car with 6 cylinders made by an American company.

Torque - LOTS AND LOTS of torque. This car will easily bark the tires if you drop the hammer at 30MPH! The widetrack suspension also allows for some pretty high-G turns (it isn't a Z06 Vette, but it's not $50,000 either).

Better paint. My rear bumper is speckled with chips from close encounters of the parallel parking in Chicago kind. My hood (this is aftermarket) had more dimples than a golf ball thanks to rocks and road salt. My '96 Berretta Z26 had fewer than 3 chips after 77,000 miles.