Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Nothing but trouble!
By Irina

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

Purchased it with 112K MI. Immediately had to fix the front axel, half a year later fuel pump went out, another half a year later torque converter had to be worked on (1500 price tag), breakes needed work too, then engine on the powerwindow broke. AC had to be fixed. Every time it rains water gets in the trunk and under the drivers sit. Windshield had to be replaced and since it has a display on it it was expensive! Now the torque converter broke again! And its only 143K now! I put in repairs more then I paid for the car! I never abused it, did all the maintenance and will never ever buy it again or recommend to anybody I know.

Fun to drive, display on the windshield, comfortable

Detail of My first car
By Crystal

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for two years. It is my first car and I love it. I think that it has great pick up and most cars can't even keep up. I love the body style I think that it looks very sporty but yet is very comfortable. My next car is definitely going to be a Pontiac!

Heads up display, alloy wheels, power seats

Just a little smaller!

Falling apart
By Jaws

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have had the transmission rebuilt twice. The fuel economy is poor. I have had numerous electrical problems including window motors and heating vent motors and brake lights, all very expensive. I also have a Pontiac Bonneville and would never buy another GM car.

Liked the styling and heads up display.

Too many rattles and intermittent problems to mention.

Great Car
By Brian99

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I love my '99 Grand Prix. It has great power for having over 115,000 miles on it. I have noticed a hole forming on the passenger side under the door and I have seen others with it too. Its an older car so I know its bound to happen, but it makes me sad because I love this car so much!! I recommend the Grand Prix if you want a sporty car with some power.

3.8 liter V6

Fix the window motors so they don't die.

Grand Prix GTP - Best used car buy ever!
By realsj99

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I use my car for business and do a lot of highway driving, so it makes sense for me to buy used and drive the car forever. My GTP has been my favorite so far! Fantastic acceleration, excellent handling and very comfortable heated leather w/ 8-way power seats. After 55,000 miles, I have has no major mechanical issues, leaks or failures. I put Michelin HydroEdge tires on it which made a dramatic improvement over the Goodyear Eagle LS tires with which it originally came. It returns about 18- 22 mpg city and 27-30 mpg hwy and still able to run high 14-second quarter mile times (comparable to stock Mustang GT performance). For the money, a well-maintained GTP is the best used car value!

I love the 240 HP 3.8 V6, FWD pulls through 8" of snow with no trouble, great stereo, power everything, HVAC keeps cabin comfortable year-round and fat sway bars allow for twisty road fun - along with copious amounts of torque from the engine. There is a large enthusiast following for Grand Prixs.

The headlights are marginal and tend to fog inside the lenses in wet weather. There is a large amount of plastic in the interior with tends to creak in cold weather. The cup holder situates beverages very high in the console making it impossible not to spill with your elbow while operating shifter.