Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
99 GTP 2door
By Royfact

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

For what is otherwise a basic GM offering, the GTP has turned out to be a pretty decent car. The styling will never be 'classic' but it looks reasonable. The interior design is better than average for GM offerings. I especially like the Heads-up display and the steering wheel controls. The seats are comfortable and easily adjusted. The car is good off the line but great in the midrange with its supercharger. The engine isn't sweet-sounding like some, but it's rock-solid reliable. Gas mileage is about 22.5 mpg in 40/60 city/highway driving.

Favorite Features

HUD displaySeatsSteering wheel controls

Suggested Improvements

GM brakes on this body class have always been weak...this car is no exception.

Horrible
By google

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

Bought this car with about 130,000 miles on it. The transmission went out at 145 rebuilt that the car has given me nothing but trouble it leaks into the car the transmission is going out again with only 35000 miles on it. have had it mess up on me constantly. would not ever recommend this car unless you just want to blow money

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Great Performer if taken care of properly!
By gypsybeth81

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've had 1 major and a few minor problems with my coupe. I'm currently the second owner and bought it when it had 84,000 miles. Unfortunately the engine blew which was likely the result of poor driving from the previous owner or myself when showing off at times :( Since then it has been replaced with another engine with 30,000 miles less then the previous one, and I must say this has been the best performance car I've driven! And I've driven 15 to 20 different cars in my time. Handling is great,has lots of room for a coupe, and has ability for modifications on a smaller budget. Gas is average,but factory tail lights are poorly made and may leak in time. Some interior detail is poorly made.

Favorite Features

Nice body style, performance, fun to modify (can often find new exterior detailing and performance mods in a wide selection like led sport lights,exhaust and engine systems etc), the handling and suspension, roominess for a mid size coupe.

Suggested Improvements

alarm system is a little too sensitive(can't leave my alarm system on when parked on street or near busy roads), tail lights can leak easily, wish they made some of these models in rear wheel drive for better racing performance, consol and cupholder could have been built more sturdy, and front passenger seat ought to have had power options as well for extra comfort. The coupe doors can be a hassle sometimes when parking in cramped lots,but, that's the price for buying a semi sport/luxury mid size coupe hahaha!

Amazing Car
By cole_graham

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is one of the best I have ever owned. Good bang for buck. The best MPG I have got is an average of 33MPG highway at a speed of 66MPH. But I average 20 city and 29 highway. Great performence as a daily drive. The only down side is that is is hard to find performance part for this car.

Favorite Features

SUPERCHARGER

Suggested Improvements

more performence parts

Nice car
By riker93

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car Feb. 8, 2013, so I haven't had it long enough to report any major problems. It runs great, and was well taken care of by previous owner. It looks almost new, no rust and the engine is so quiet. It handles very well, and takes off quickly. Gas mileage isn't bad, so I'm not spending too much there. It's got all the options I could think of, so as long as I continue to take care of it, I'm hoping to get a lot of miles out of it.

Favorite Features

All the power options, the black color, the fact that it has a 3.8 litre V6.

Suggested Improvements

The tail lights have some condensation in them when it's rainy or damp. If it's warm and sunny, they seem to be clear.