1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
Grand Prix GT Sedan
By tcapman on 04/13/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 34k miles and currently have 122k miles. Overall has been a great car. Had to replace 1 fuel injector and the fan controller around 80k miles. Replaced both front wheel bearings (did myself) around 110k miles. The engine and tranny have been flawless other than the 1 injector. The car has good interior and trunk space and love the looks. Finally starting to get a few squeaks here and there, but then again it has been through 10 Iowa winters and summers.

Never buy from the cheapest
By Mike on 02/14/09 12:41 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I purchased the 1999 Gold edition Grand Prix GT. Now with only 105,000 km that's right no error. I had to have the brake lines from the fire wall back all replaced. Was told Pontiac does not sell complete brake line assembly. That's a days work for the mechanic to install. The car has been undercoated also. The mechanic who did the job replaced all the brake lines in his 1999 Chevy pick-up. Unbelievable! For a 10 year-old car that's not even a daily driver. Now I have a hood release cable that doesn't work when its cold outside. If you can wrestle the hood open, afterward the hood will not close properly. Also I was warned to replace the rubber bush mounts (suspension), both left & right side.

This car has been great to me.
By seiichi79 on 01/06/09 14:34 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car definitely served its purpose. Have 3 kids now so I'm going to have to get rid of it. Which kinda stinks. Even though I can fit 3 car seats in the back it's a little squished. Great power and pedal response. Lots more interior room than you would think just by looking at it and a lot of trunk space. The only problem I have had with it was the front brake rotors were warped when I purchased it but it only cost about $175 to have them fixed. Other than that this car has been awesome.

Grand Prix A.K.A Tranny Problems
By mishmish on 11/22/08 20:22 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

I love this car but hate it at the same time. The car really is a eye catcher. This is my 2nd prix first one (96)tranny went out at 110k, my current one went out 111k and then went a 2nd time at 135k. I almost forgot I was told the 99 Prixs only fit 99 trannys. Fun fun. The frames on them are crap so if you wanna add more horsepower good luck on not cracking the frame. Headlights fog up with dirt. Good luck getting up any hills in the snow without all 4 studded tires.

Good Old Pontiac!
By prdsubrbndrvr on 11/15/08 21:15 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My parents are the original owners since new! I drive the Grand Prix whenever I come home because I love it, nice break from my Suburban! The Grand Prix has 114,000 miles on it and still resembles a newer car. The 3.8L engine is undestructable and has never failed us! Just usual oil changes, and minimal problems. My dad will run this car until it can go no longer, which should not be anytime soon.

been a pretty good car
By shadetreemechanic on 06/16/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought vehicle @50k repair trans pressure solenoid @75k change plugs, wires, hoses, battery, tires, front wheel bearings @100k replace water in headlamps @110k change coolant and trans fluid @125k ac leak @145k squirrel cage fan squeal @150k lower intake manifold and valve covers @160k replace front brakes every 25k and rear every 50k change oil every 6k change air filter every 12k car has been maintained pretty well, and has performed acceptable. I have enjoyed the car, but am getting tired of it. The car now has significant squeak and rattle and the exterior is showing signs of rust. I will drive the vehicle until the next transmission failure, which I anticipate at 200k.

It Sucks
By Anna on 05/25/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have had my Pontiac Grand Prix GT ever since I turned 16, 2 years ago. I have had many problems with it. My windows are broken and they fall down while going down the road. The headlights are so dim that it looks like I am driving down the road using a flashlight. The gauges don't work. My panels came off the inside of the car. After the fuel pump went out I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE out of it. I have been stranded on the side of the road at least 6 times within 3-4 months. I have seen that only the GT's are getting the bad reviews, and I know why! My cousin has a GTP and he has no trouble out of his, but my GT sucks. Everything is wrong with this car!

Excedllent used car, fun to drive!
By GiGi on 03/25/08 06:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I needed another car, wasn't in a position to buy a new car right, saw this car and liked it right away. I've always liked the Grand Prix, they look so darn good. I've only had mine for a couple of months but so far I have put about 1500 miles on it and have had no problems with it even though it is a 9 year old car. The previous owner took care of it and I love to drive it. It has power when I need it. It is roomy enough for my three children, it feels like a big car on the inside but it is sporty looking on the outside. It burns more gas than my previous car, which is to be expected since my Mazda was a 4 cylinder and this is a V6. I just love this car.

Not bad
By E on 02/22/08 22:08 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Really good car! Bought at 112000 now has 185000. No problems whatsoever except for an O2 sensor. Still picks up and goes. 3.8l engines are bulletproof in my opinion.

Nothing but trouble!
By Irina on 12/27/07 15:30 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan

Purchased it with 112K MI. Immediately had to fix the front axel, half a year later fuel pump went out, another half a year later torque converter had to be worked on (1500 price tag), breakes needed work too, then engine on the powerwindow broke. AC had to be fixed. Every time it rains water gets in the trunk and under the drivers sit. Windshield had to be replaced and since it has a display on it it was expensive! Now the torque converter broke again! And its only 143K now! I put in repairs more then I paid for the car! I never abused it, did all the maintenance and will never ever buy it again or recommend to anybody I know.