Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Nice car
By riker93

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I just bought this car Feb. 8, 2013, so I haven't had it long enough to report any major problems. It runs great, and was well taken care of by previous owner. It looks almost new, no rust and the engine is so quiet. It handles very well, and takes off quickly. Gas mileage isn't bad, so I'm not spending too much there. It's got all the options I could think of, so as long as I continue to take care of it, I'm hoping to get a lot of miles out of it.

Favorite Features

All the power options, the black color, the fact that it has a 3.8 litre V6.

Suggested Improvements

The tail lights have some condensation in them when it's rainy or damp. If it's warm and sunny, they seem to be clear.

Batmobile, Tank, Grand Prix Coupe
By midwestboiler

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This was my first car, and it was a great first car. Unfortuneatly, I was rear ended and ultimately had the car totaled. The time that I had it though, was very enjoyable. First, a V-6 engine allows for this car to be borderline over the top with power, but that didn't bother me. The problem with all of the power was that the car averaged about 18 mpg. The 12 gallon tank also forced me to have to fill up more often than I would have liked. I had leather seats and they were very comfortable. It was very easy to carry 4 passengers in the car. While the doors were huge, it allowed much easier access to the back seat.

Favorite Features

-Great pickup -Comfort -Nothing besides routine maintenance. -Good in snow -Good exterior look to it

Suggested Improvements

-This car is very wide, which makes parking a bit challenging at first. -Gas mileage is terrible -Back speakers would cut in and out.

Great Performer if taken care of properly!
By gypsybeth81

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I've had 1 major and a few minor problems with my coupe. I'm currently the second owner and bought it when it had 84,000 miles. Unfortunately the engine blew which was likely the result of poor driving from the previous owner or myself when showing off at times :( Since then it has been replaced with another engine with 30,000 miles less then the previous one, and I must say this has been the best performance car I've driven! And I've driven 15 to 20 different cars in my time. Handling is great,has lots of room for a coupe, and has ability for modifications on a smaller budget. Gas is average,but factory tail lights are poorly made and may leak in time. Some interior detail is poorly made.

Favorite Features

Nice body style, performance, fun to modify (can often find new exterior detailing and performance mods in a wide selection like led sport lights,exhaust and engine systems etc), the handling and suspension, roominess for a mid size coupe.

Suggested Improvements

alarm system is a little too sensitive(can't leave my alarm system on when parked on street or near busy roads), tail lights can leak easily, wish they made some of these models in rear wheel drive for better racing performance, consol and cupholder could have been built more sturdy, and front passenger seat ought to have had power options as well for extra comfort. The coupe doors can be a hassle sometimes when parking in cramped lots,but, that's the price for buying a semi sport/luxury mid size coupe hahaha!

Best Used Car Been Very Reliable
By Ladylynnette

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

this car is the coupe and has very good suspension with the low track. Has luxury along with takes corners really well. I bought my car with 95,000 miles on it and it still runs like a new car, it now has 112,000 miles on it. I occasionally have something go wrong. I had the air mass flow sensor go out and then replaced and runs great again. It is more sporty luxury than complete sports car. I have really enjoyed it. It is much harder to find the 2 door couple which is much sportier looking.

Favorite Features

The low track so rides corners very good. Has luxury ride mixed with a sports car like ride without being too rough. I enjoy the transmission automatic with the overdrive where you can downshift on corners. Very fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

does use gas when pushing on the has a lot.

Great Car
By jetfan

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

When I bought this car the previous owner took very good care of it. The only thing I had to do is put a MAF sensor on it. These cars are fast, especially if you add a few goodies. So it just goes to show if you maintain your vehicle, more often than not it will last. I love this car, in fact I think I'm going to buy another one possibly a gtx if I can find one.

Favorite Features

heads up display,the supercharged engine. the body style, this car is easy on the eyes.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad this car is not rear wheel drive. Front seats could be designed a bit better. Bigger breaks, and a heated passenger seat.